Newbie from south central Pa

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Josh_M, May 24, 2015.

1. Josh_M

Josh_M New Member

After seeing a lowered VFR back in the 80's in the small town I lived in I've always wanted one. I recently picked up an 86 VFR 700 with 4,000 miles from a guy I work with. He had some work done to the bike but knowing much how to work on motorcycles he lost interest. At this point I've only been through and cleaned the carbs and replaced orings, set float levels, reset one diaphragm and sync'ed them. The upper and side fairings are aftermarket with the original tail section. All pieces will need to be repaired before paint. I will be ordering a decal kit since I want the bike in red white and blue which this one is the pearl white. I will post some before pics, during pics and final pics.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Having only 4K miles, there can't be a hell of a lot of work or repairs to be done other than cleaning up the fuel system. Check from critters nests in the breather area. Good luck and welcome to the World.

3. Josh_M

Josh_M New Member

Thanks for the welcome, work has been crazy and all I've been able to do is get the carbs off checked, cleaned and back on the bike. Getting a tag tomorrow so I can start riding. Yes the bike only has 4k miles but the first owner was also a new rider so It has been laid over a few times. The upper and side fairings are aftermarket fiberglass. The original tank was rusted to the point of gas leaking through rust bubbles. The guy I got the bike from had it 7 years and decided he wanted to fix it up last year and tried to ride it with the original tank but stopped because the gas getting on him. It will definitely be a fun project mainly because I can ride it now.

4. NormK

NormK New Member

Solder and heatshrink your stator wires, should be part of ever introduction here

5. Josh_M

Josh_M New Member

Thanks for the advice NormK. Is these a post on here I can search for that?

6. NormK

NormK New Member

Josh there are so many posts over these problems it is too hard to pick one but what you have to do is remove the connector from the stator to the rec/reg and solder and heatshrink these wires. With age this connector corrodes, gets hot,melts and shorts out the stator and rec/reg

7. Josh_M

Josh_M New Member

Ok so it's just removing the stator connector so it would just be hard wired in

8. NormK

NormK New Member

Yes but don't use connectors because they will cause the same issues

9. Josh_M

Josh_M New Member

I understand, I'll solder them and I have some better shrink tubing with an adhesive inside to make a weather tight seal