New VFR owner introduction and questions!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LayinLow, May 23, 2010.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Hello all.....I finally became a VFR owner today. I got a 1994 VFR with only 24k miles on it...... for.... get this..... $1700:tongue:

The good...fairings are probably at 80-85% good with some small cracks and dings from being banged or dropped in someones garage. Shifts smooth as silk....engine is strong and sounds good..no knocks. Shocks have no signs of ANY leaking fluids and stantions are clean as a whistle. Engine looks clean although I haven't taken any fairings off. Overall cool beans

The Bad...Has some starting troubles which leads me to believe RECTIFIER. I know its never been replaced. The stator has, AND it has a brand new battery. I also know its not the starter...since it sometimes cranks right up. Heres what leads me to believe its the infamous wring/rectifier issue: When its cold it will start up sometimes..but when it warms up the rectifier gets hot as my juevos in the Atlanta summertime. Then when the engine is shut off and attempted to be started again it wont start..itll turn over slowly but not fire up...kindof like the battery is dead (which isnt the case). SOOOO I have a rectifier on order already (which is part of my bargaining the guy down to 1700). Its a "Petes" or "mikes" or something..I forget the brand but it seems to be stout. ANYONE have ANY other suggestions since starting tomorrow im pulling off all the fairings.....changing oil...maybe radiator fluid...cleaning airbox....cleaning carbs (if i can learn how) ...plugs....the whole 9. Do I need to invest in that "VFRness" thingy or is the rectifier replacment enough to fix this little issue.

PLease feel free to add your .02 since I want my transition to Vifferness to be pleasant.

Cheers:reg:

2. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats and Welcome aboard! Post up some pics too!

3. eadc

eadc New Member

Map
    Twice I've had electrical issues with my VFR and it turns out that it wasn't the R/R either time, though signs pointed that way.

Somewhere on the boards here, someone posted the OEM repair manual in pdf format (350 pages?...not if you google this, a lot of sites sell it, but they all look pretty sketchy, I'd stick here if you can find it). If you can get your hands on that, there's a table that shows how to test your R/R to see if it's still good. Pretty sure that they have the polarity in the table backwards, b/c reading the tabs with the opposite ends, I get the correct reading (on my old one, and the new Rick's one I got). But when you get the reading, you'll know.

The first time, I had issues with corrosion around my starter relay (replaced through Wiremybike.com). That time I went through the whole bike, cleaned every electrical connection, added some dielectric grease. The 2nd time my bike died on the highway in stop and go traffic, and I assumed R/R. I was half right. The R/R was fine, but one of the connections to it was fried and gives a bad read with the multimeter (again from the OEM manual). Ordered a full VFRness from wiremybike.com this time, and hoping it does the trick. It's in the mail now.

Check those connections and test your R/R, you may be surprised.

good luck!

4. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Haha thanks man. I already have my rectifier on the way.....and I also have the full wiremybike.com harness on the way! I said screw it...Im gonna fix this crap before it fixes me out in the country sometime.