New VFR on 2008/2009?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by yiannis, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for a more sporting Honda V- something (V-4 or V-5) multi being developed. The more sporting (nowadays read full-on race replica performance and ergos)-oriented bikes have been CBRs and will continue to CBRs be because they can get the requisite performance at a notably lower development and bill of material cost than a V-Four or V-Five based bike. Honda is still tracked into this mentality where the bike can cost no more than a certain amount to get sales. They do not seem to understand the Ducati "exclusivity" model, where Ducati makes very sexy bikes from an engineering specification, charges appropriately for them, and actually gets the sales for them (witness the waiting-line demand for 1098 and 848).

I was talking to my Berkeley Honda sales manager again (to get info on how much 6th gen sales actually did drop starting in '02 compared to 5th gen bikes) and he felt that American Honda and Honda Japan are really missing the mark in several ways. His thought was that Honda should have the developed the new CBR1000RR as a more-exclusive, full-on MotoGP inspired V-five, and charged appropriately for development and bill of material costs. For example, if Honda actully built a full-on Moto-GP inspired V-5 based "CBR1000RR-replacement" at $15,000, he'd probably have people lining up out the door to get them. But, this doesn't fit with Honda's price-sensitive mentality.

Right now, American Honda's sportbike lineup is very, very thin. Two full-on race replica CBRs, and the VFR.

Personally, I would like Honda to keep the VFR, but redesign it in key ways:
    1) 900 or so cc's to get the low-end torque and top-end rush that all riders want.
    2) V-four engine with gear-driven cams for reliability and that unmistakeable growling V-four sound.
    3) Current or 5th gen VFR ergos, riding position, comfort and all-rounder capability.
    4) Multi-adjustable suspension
    5) 50 lbs less weight than a 5th gen.
    6) SSSA because that is part of being a VFR (a classic VFR design cue)

There is still no all-rounder that does what a VFR does (with the possible exception of the Triumph Sprint ST; and that doesn't have the VFRs build quality). Honda discontinuing this legendary bike would not only leave a gaping hole in Honda's lineup, but in the entire motorcycle sector as a whole. And that would be a sad day indeed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. zbone25

zbone25 New Member

Map
    i here that there going to put the v-5 engine in the new vfr 1000 :) that would be awesome. only if it runs in the same line as the rc211v like the moto gp bikes like they say it will. if it is any ways like that i would trade my 84 1000 any day for that piece of art

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    ZBone, hang on to that VF1000!!! Please do not place too much stock in the new V5. The VFR for 09 has been released and is just another 6th gen.
    While still a VFR, it is nothing like the rumors purported.

4. wildmanofrock

wildmanofrock New Member

Map
    who`s go no frame sliders

5. wildmanofrock

wildmanofrock New Member

Map
    sorry no cut frame sliders