New to VFR

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Rooobbb93, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Rooobbb93

Rooobbb93 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hey. Picked a 1998 VFR800 up last week. Just curious as to what mods are recommended for this bike? At the moment all it has is heated grips and I removed the air box snorkel. Anything else?

Thanks

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

When you get time don't forget to post up a photo or two of your VFR as the folks on here really like photos. Its easy click on the "upload and file" tab below and follow prompts to select and upload an image.

As for mods - there are loads out there but only you can decide what makes sense. Some riders prefer more protection and fit taller screens, others fit Helibars if they want a more upright riding position which will put less weight on your wrists. Certainly by the time they released the 5th Gen Models they were already pretty well kitted out but adding hard luggage is defiinitely a great choice if you plan a lot of touring.

Have a read through posts in the 5th Gen section and you will quickly pick up on perhaps the most significant issue - the charging system is known to fail potentially leaving you stranded. There is an enormously long thread explaining what fails and why and a diagnostic procedure aka "the Drill" which a lot of VFR owners know too well.

If nothing else, you might consider fitting a cheapo voltmeter to an ignition on circuit. The sort you can get for buttons on Ebay which shows volts as numbers. This won't prevent problems but should allow you to quickly get a feel for normal voltage levels, so if you suddenly see voltage drop through the floor or rise alarmingly you at least have a chance to head for some place safe before whatever energy is left in the battery is drained.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

3. Rooobbb93

Rooobbb93 New Member

United Kingdom
    178C0678-39C1-4F34-95B4-EC00F05AC2AA.jpeg 05E14394-B74A-4A1E-85E1-DC6C659E7B0A.jpeg

I have carried out the flapper and snorkel mod and it’s a lot smoother power delivery now and the flatspot at 5k is less noticeable, plus the added induction noise is great.

As far as mods go I’m not using the bike for much other than ride outs so no need for luggage. I’ve been looking at a double bubble screen and also a seat cowl (are the rear foot pegs easy to remove?) I would quite like to make the exhaust note slightly louder, without going full hooligan. I’d also love an 8spoke rear wheel but they seem hard to find!

I’ve read a lot about the electrical issues with the bike. Mine seems to be running perfect right now but is it something that’s inevitable?

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map