New to me VFR need some info....

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Iowa VFR, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Hey all...I thought this would be a great place to get a few answers. For many years I have been wanting to get a nice old survivor bike of the 80's. I have been looking over the years at the ones I remembered and adored when my dad rode. The Ninja ZX10, Hurricane, FZR and of course the VFR.
    I like the upright comfortable ride of the older bikes as allowed to the new. I walked the showroom and all the new ones were not for me.
    So I spent some time searching and calling and found a few to look at...I came apon an ad for a 1987 Blue VFR 750. Ad said it was a rare color. The bike is really nice with low miles. For the money I could not pass it up! A true survivor and a retro beauty!!!! Since I had only had an older ninja before I am looking forward to nice casual rides on this bike!!!
    Questions:
    A few things I read said there was no 87 sold in the US...Is this true?

Is it rare in any way?

What is the blue color called?

Is there any upgrades I should look at? Mostly commute riding and a few half day rides with the wife.

Thanks for any answers... I can not wait to take it out!!!

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Iowa

Though I can't be of help with all of your questions I'm sure that there will be someone along soon who can. Our resident paint color expert would probably be STOSHMONSTER and if you had a question about paint color, he would would be the one I would check with first.

Welcome me to the site and to the WORLD of the VFR. I'm sure you will come to enjoy your new bike as much as the rest of us and hope you enjoy the community here as much as I have over the years. All the best, ride safe, and keep her shiny side up.

3. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Thanks. I look forward to the responses and info from here. I've spent a lot of time lurking!!!

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on the new ride, just Googled it....did come in blue as well
    Make Model Honda VFR750FII-H
    Year 1987
    Engine Liquid cooled, four stroke, 90°V-four cylinder, DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder.
    Capacity 748

Bore x Stroke 70 x 48.6 mm

Compression Ratio 10.5:1

4 x 34mm Keihin VD carbs

Max Power 106 hp 77.4 KW @ 10500 rpm

6 Speed / chain

Front Suspension 41mm air assisted telescopic fork

Rear Suspension*Pro-link adjustable preload, 105mm wheal travel.

Front Brakes*2x 296mm discs 2*piston calipers

Rear Brakes Single 256mm disc 2 piston caliper

Front Tyre 110/90 V16

Rear Tyre 130/80 V18

Dry-Weight / Wet-weight 198 kg

Fuel Capacity 20 Litres

This years model came in solid blue, silver or white. The white is the most valuable and the most rare. The V4 motors in these bikes were very torky, but smooth. The engines are very reliable and, if properly maintained, will run 100,000 miles with no problems.

They are kind of Honda cult bikes these days and are highly prised if in good condition. An 87*VFR 750*in white with low to medium miles, with the original plastics in good condition will go for $3000-$3500.

Things to look for:

The rear solo cowl that covers the passenger seat with the original bolts.

Mostly stock, possibly with an aftermarket pipe.

The original seat.

A center stand. It was an option on these bikes and impossible to*find*today.

Original mirrors.

Things to watch for:

The tail on these bikes are fragile, especially the light. Look for cracks in the side of the*tail light*and the one piece plastic tail at the rear.

The rear plugs on these are a bitch to change.

Rust in the tank.

Tire choices are limited for these bikes these days. They are bias-ply tires so the options are limited. Only two manufacturers are still around last time I checked. There are plenty available, just one*style*or tire to choose. The Dunlop 501s are the ticket as I recall.

5. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Thanks DUCC... That info was great!!
    Here is something I read...Can someone tell me if this is right. Is an 87 a non import then?

Link-http://dot.com.ph/uncle/vfrhist.html

In 1987, Honda decided not to import the 750, leaving the American masses only the VFR700. Refinements were subtle. The shift lever was shorten to lessen the effects of its long throw. Compression and rebound damping were increased, and a new rear shock provided separate valving for lighter compression and firmer rebound, as well as a stiffer spring. This made the bike sweeter over bumps, and increased cornering clearance, although most street riders will never be able to touch the exhaust pipes down. The centerstand disappeared, unfortunately, and the blocky instrument pod replaced the dials and optional analog pointers of 1986. During 1988 and 1989 the VFR simply wasn't imported into the U.S.. On race circuits, the RC30 appeared, and was worshipped.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Honda and other Japanese makers reduced the number of imports of bikes 750cc or higher as the federal government (Re: President Ronnie Raygun) put a tariff on motorcycle imports on such vehicles in order to help Harley Davidson out, as they were losing significant market share to the Japanese sport bikes. It may or may not have been imported as a commonly imported vehicle but theoretically could have been imported, just with a higher cost due to the tariff. To be honest I don't recall if it was offered as such or that Honda just decided to import the 700cc version.

7. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Where would be a good place to find aftermarket parts? Either I am looking in the wrong spot or there is not a lot.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe Service Honda.com

9. NormK

NormK New Member

You are looking at a 27 year old bike, parts get rare out there when they get this old

10. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Thanks DUCC . Service honda is a nice site. I wanted to make sure I new of a place incase I needed parts...with any luck all will be well for a while!!!

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    And you can set up alarms for certain items on eBay motors

12. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    would this happen to be the bike in question? Taken on the way to Galena, IL from the Quad-Cities...this one is a '87, V&H pipe, Zero Gravity dark screen, probably a double bubble, blue line on the rims, corbin or some other after market seat...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Porl

Porl New Member

Map
    Err, no. That's a '97.

14. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

Nice looking bike though!!! I will try to get a pic up this weekend. Looking forward to a Galena ride myself!!!

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

This is a common mistake. All those Japanese bikes look the same.