New to me '92

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Guaire, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
  2. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Actually the ST was out in 1990. I recall taking one out for a burn but I already purchased a brand new VFR a month earlier so all id did was validate my decision.

I would also like to give you two thumbs up for scoring a bike equipped with a LH exit aftermarket exhaust, presumably a TBR system???

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There are shims that adapt the standard bulbs to that overpriced Honda stuff. You'll have to look for them on a search engine. Mine are in the bike and I tossed the paperwork long ago. I have heard the standard lamps can be modified by clipping one of the prongs away..Never tried it mself.. Not a lot of room in that front fairing if you have big hands. Touchie-Feelie works and racking the front end helps.

Have ya downloaded the service manual..? It's a freebies..

Check your oil level with the filler cap unscrewed. The bike should be leveled. Never had a problem with the bike on the centerstand. The sidestand? No..

Golden Spectro is good stuff. I used to buy it from Seattle Cycle Center when it was put on sale.. Four for the price of three or in bulk from one of the multibrand shops who bought it in drums. The local robbers are the only game in town so to speak and even the distributor told me they were gouging... Fred's Honda in Corvallis.. Caveat Emptor.. Walmart has Rotella..

I installed an all stainless steel oil filter years ago from Scotts.. Pricy but they pay for themselves after about ten oil changes. Zero problems. Again there are those who will swear that using one will destroy your engine, your unborn children. pets, and all living matter within ten miles of where you live. IMO they are working for Fram, never used one or are just full of shit. ;)

4. Badbilly

United States
    Cool... I got my shims from small distributor in SoCal years ago. The guy may have been the inventor.. About the same price I think..(??) I called the order in. The guy wasn't in and a young woman took the call.

Gave her all the particulars and asked about shipping.. 6-7 bucks.. No way!! The darn things are paper thin and both weigh about what two sheets of paper weigh. The light went on and they like so many othrer outfits got sold on UPS or FedEx and that fucking minimum charge shit. I told her if they wanted to make the sale. put the shims in a regular envelope and Use USPS... Two stamps and it hit my mailbox a couple of days later.

It worked that time at least. Seems like the Honda bulbs were about 40 bucks at the time...

5. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a set of adapters stashed in the tail section of the ST. Same deal. 45w is stock. At this stage of the game if I want more light I'll go with LEDs.
    I found out what you meant by 'condom mirrors'. Next time I take those off I don't want to put them back on. What's with bad threads this week?! My ST had a cross threaded plug from the PO. Now, after I took off the VFR mirrors I end up doing tap and die work on that. I'll keep my eye out for the recommended Honda mirrors.
    Got the VFR to my shop today about the clipped chain. A tech I trust asked if I was racing… no. I'll keep the clipped chain for now, keep and eye on it and get an endless when I replace it.
    It boils down to weather now. I'm ready to ride if the temp cooperates.
    Thanks for all the help.

6. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Check your oil level with the filler cap unscrewed. The bike should be leveled.

Got it - thanks.
    TBR is that Two Bros? Mine is a D&D. It's a bit raspy and loud. I wouldn't mind something quieter. I sound like a V4 180 degree crank fighter jet. I don't want to attract any 'Imperial' attention. In the local suburban streets I've hit 5k rpm. Sometime I'll get out on a bigger road and I'll get to hear this thing.

7. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hugger= rear tire cover, prevents splashing onto shock.

Fender bob= cut back fender to under tail. Add tag mount and let running (center) light illuminate it.

Frankenstein bolts= bolts holding rear seat/cowl down with places to hook your bungees to. Unnecessary and expensive. Can be made from long (like 1 1/2") 6mm socket heads and some stainless tubing over them. Available at most decent hardware stores.

D&D= LOUD exhaust can from Dallas, TX. Most find them annoying and replace withe something from Staintune, Remus, TBR, etc, etc. All you really have to match is the inlet pipe OD and almost any can with work after that. I like the Remus Carbon Viper dual port. Looks awesome, sounds throaty.

Stock seat= a medieval torture device most of us ditch if we ride over an hour at a time.

Let us know if you ever want to upgrade to USD forks, bigger brakes, fancy windshield, etc, etc.

Now go ride while you can.

Larry

8. Badbilly

United States
    Stock seat= a medieval torture device most of us ditch if we ride over an hour at a time.

LOL!!!

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Here is a fender BOB I did on my 91

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice Scooter! I would'nt let you near my un-molested fender, but I would take a ride and have a drink wity you. :drinkers:

Cheers and Happy and Healthy 2014...

Why do you have Snappy on wooden blocks>?

11. rjgti

rjgti New Member

i want your seat jethro, my 3rd gen one starts to hurt me after 14 hrs in the saddle:triumphant:

12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks! I miss her probably more than any of my past VFRs.

I blocked the tool box because the garage floor was sloped and the drawers would slide open uncommanded and that ain't good.

13. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I bought that bike with the Corbin saddle and the TBR exhaust from a guy in St Paul. We did many happy miles together. The seat would allow for 600 mile days or more if needed.

14. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, the wonderful Corbin. Popular and fairly comfortable. A little heavy, but your sitting on it, not carrying it. There are even used ones available out there if your looking.

I prefer homemade.

Larry

15. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Got my Honda pin for the Pit Bull stand. All I have to do is buff the inner axle to smooth it out. The pin is a precise fit.