New to me '92

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Guaire, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone. I'm here in the wilds of Arlington, VA. Just got a 1992 VFR750. Filled the fuel tank with SeaFoam added and got in my first ride of about 10 miles around here. Mileage is around 25k. The bike has seen some wear, but the man I bought it from did a lot of work to get this bike back to decent condition. I'm looking forward to riding this relatively lightweight, good handling roadster. My other bike is a 2002 Honda ST1100. The Interceptor seems light, low and easily handled by comparison.
    The ST isn't a bad handler. It just weights 700 lbs and has that veeeery long wheelbase. Advantages yes, but it's nice to have the 'Interceptor' alternative.
    Cheers,
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
  3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Welcome aboard! The 3rd Gen is a lovely machine and can provide you with many more years of riding pleasure. Stock suspension sucks but the smooth, reliable engine and gear driven cam whine makes up for that LOL!!! Keep an eye on the charging system as they are very prone to failure and I've seen it fail firsthand on numerous 3rd and 4rd Gen models. Also be very careful when pulling the fairings off as they are going to be brittle due to the age. The interlocking fairing design sucks and it's very easy to damage the plastic if you don't know how the pieces fit together. Finding used bodywork for a bike this old will be difficult unless you decide to go with subpar aftermarket fairings so take extra care with the plastics. If you decide to ditch the condom style mirrors you can replace with OEM or Aftermarket 5th Gen VFR mirrors from the 2000-2001 models. Emgo makes a good fair priced replacement mirror and that is what I have on my 1993.

Rollin

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    i got stock OEM style replacements for my underwhelming mirrors from Mr. Emgo. They sucked, the rubber faded and that was on a garaged/wiped down bike. Beauty is in the eye of the be-holder though.

I liked the old ST's that were carbureted. Think they came oot in 93 or so? AnywhoOooo, love the Granite Blue paint job on "our" bikes...Kept a red fender as a tribute to something, when I think of it, I will let you know. Nice exhaust by the way.
    ":

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Strange, My mirrors have held up well and still look good. Me also likes the left side exhaust!! Would probably have one myself If I didn't use my centerstand so much.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice bike :love: I am always love the 3rd gen
    you have been shopping for the Viffer since 2008 :rolleyes:

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I never had a centre stand, would like a left exit exhaust but am lazy regarding pulling the carbs for tuning as my bike is finger tuned to perfection with what its got on it now. Plus, they are as rare as a violet unicorn. My bike is one of my most prized possessions, I hate being a shallow materialist, but what can I do.

8. lineman65

lineman65 New Member

Sweeet. Love the color sceme.You wont be dissapointed. We are almost neighbors!

9. lineman65

lineman65 New Member

Do you want to trade rear wheels. Have stock 05'. Dunlop Roadsmart.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Your axing him to trade that brillant 8 spoke Honda master-piece for some fuggly wheel off some other generation bike? Sheesh, The lowness that people will stoop to. That wheel was genius really, hit the ball oot of the park on that design...

11. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome, love the left exit exhaust.

12. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    L Front 69.jpg
    My '02 ST has carbs.
    The 92 is running. I noticed the chain has a clipped link. I'll get the shop to remove the clip and make the chain endless. Also, they can add some threads for the bolt on the right rear fairing. The threads are shot. The fairing, although all there, will be a long term repair project.
    I'm replacing the side stand. This one hyper extends forward and the bike angles over too far. I found one on Ebay for $5.91 plus $8.51 shipping. The loop at the end is smashed. My welding guy can fix it. The 'new' one still has the little screws for holding the "side stand cover" # 50533-MT4-000ZC. I'll see if I can find one of those too.
    The pipe is a bit of a screamer. Around north Arlington I'm lucky if I can hit 4 -5k rpm without breaking the speed limit too badly. I'm sure that riding this VFR == looks and sounds like I'm speeding all the time, even if I'm going the speed limit.
    I got an aftermarket "chain spool adjuster tool" and adjusted the chain. That's when I noticed the clip on the chain. Doesn't anyone know better?!
    I can't complain too much. The PO did == new brake pads and rebuilt master cylinders and fluid everywhere, brand new Dunlops (!), fork seals and oil, oil change and filter, the exhaust system past the header w/ D&D can, chain and sprockets, Electrosport Reg/Rect, battery, front valve cover gasket, Uni air filter, carbs cleaned. I'll check his notes and see if there's more. Gotta do the chain for safety.
    I'll probably have a gazillion questions. I'll check previous posts for info. Does anyone use full synthetic Shell Rotella?
    The wheels show nicks and scrapes up close. When I pull them for new rubber when that time comes, I'll think about getting them powder coated. Whoopee!
    My ST has a plastic 'shelter' where a fuel tank usually lives. The fuel tank is under the seat. No magnetic tank bag can stick. Now I can use my Nelson-Rigg tank bag.
    Today I get to watch the rain, but I'll be getting ready to ride when we get some half decent weather.
    Cheers,
    Bill

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have a 91 VFR. Switched to Rotella after years of using Semi-synthetic Golden Spectro. You will find several posts on this forum claiming that Rotella dissolved entire engines and transmissions. IMO the OPs are employees of Mobil..

14. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome. Rarest of the rare with the violet paint job and TBR left exhaust.

You probably would like the rear seat cowl someday, if you can find one. Maybe David Spares in UK.

Ride it and enjoy.

Larry

15. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Mine was filled with Golden Spectro dinosaur oil. Now I've got two questions. What's the right way to check oil? Check with the dip stick touching threads, but not screwed in? How do I plug the left headlight socket back in? I got the bulb back in after checking it was a 45w. I got the flexible clip back on once. I couldn't get the plug re connected to the bulb.
    On the ST you have to remove the windscreen and the front upper fairing to fiddle the bulbs. I thought the easier access on the VFR it would be possible to r&r the bulb with out doing braille. Oh well.
    Now and then I've been over the WV border while out riding with friends. WV might be a Spring ride!

16. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi SafetyPro - Yes, I've seen them. I like the plain seat myself. I know those cowls are very appreciated. Maybe it's my ancient origins of BSAs that makes me like good old fashioned dual seats?!
    I have access to a good local dealership, all big 4, Ducati, Spyder and scooters, but I know I'll be finding some specialty sources on this forum.
    Bill

17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Guaire: " The 'new' one still has the little screws for holding the "side stand cover" # 50533-MT4-000ZC. I'll see if I can find one of those too."

i hope you can find one. It's a unique feature, a great example of Honda's design imagination. Ditch the low-hanging plastic rear fender/ air brake.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have one more side stand cover in the garage to be mounted. Broke the last one with a rock.

I sent the glued together old one to Airtech for duplication for everyone, never saw it. They do have a rear seat cowl though in fiberglass.

Trim up that tag holder and add a hugger for the slickest look.

Larry

19. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    What's a hugger?

20. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Your missing your "Frankenstein-Bolts" that hold the rear tail sections. I had a friend that works as a machinist for a pharmacutical company make me some custom ones. I had my side stand bent back when a truck backinto the viffer when it was parked on a hill. Someone was smiling down on me, because the bike got pushed, bent the stand, split the front fender but did not fall over!

Anyway, got a replacement stand on the Ebay along with a fender (second red one.) When I first got my bike, it had the colour matched side stand cover (brillant Honda-think) that adventually perished on the road :rip: Never got my hands on a rear solo-seat-cover and I use a tail bag all the time. Used to use a Chase Harper tank bag, non magnetic for many years but gave that up and use a tail bag exclusively.

Never liked Uni-Filters, thats just me, have seen them degrade into red powder. K&N works well and built to last, What else? Nothing right now, ride and enjoy it!

Don't listen to certain people from Buffalo that tell you to trim that fender they are adled from lake affect snow and shit, and it can also get you thrown in vfr jail!