new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by dsw, Jun 24, 2015.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I treat it like a gun, alot of respect...wow..
    Buddy Chris was teaching his roommate Nancy to ride on his RD400 behind sears, she panicked..nailed the throttle and did a whellie thew a brick wall.
    Actually coming from dirt bikes since 8, first thing he did with me on his RD was teach me FRONT BRAKES....thank God

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Me as well. However, dirt is not a possibility for many of us.

Back in 2013 the queen of the house and I were watching motocross. All of a sudden I had to get a dirt bike! This was actually my impetus for beginning this sport. I began studying dirt riding. I learned everything I possibly could about dirt riding, 2-cycles and 4-cycles. Then I began shopping and thinking about what I would do on day one. I would have to get a truck and go a significant distance to get to dirt, as I am in the city trapped by asphalt. There was no way I was going to get any time on the dirt with my location and my schedule.

Thus I thought again and the bike had to be a street bike that I could ride right out of the driveway. And that's the story on how I met you guys.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    You brought back a nightmare gut feeling. This would have been around 1980. I was riding a '78 Schwinn Stingray BX. My friend let me ride her ten speed. I had never been on one. After riding down the street I pulled in their drive and was heading toward their house at a decent clip. I needed to brake to I started peddling backwards to stop. NO DICE! I finally found the brakes. I hit the front a little harder, did a stoppie and came back down. (I looked around didn't see anyone. My one buddy told me years later he witnessed the event, how hilarious.) I could have been hurt seriously in another 10 feet, hitting the garage head on. That is the reality. Gotta spend safe time building muscle memory!

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    ... and the Lord created the Honda Africa Twin on the 7th day for all your street and dirt needs. :)

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Great minds do think alike. I have the perfect 500cc bike for this guy. Since I am conservative I will come up with a few others even under 500cc, liberally speaking. :)

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/02/ronax-500-two-stroke-grand-prix-motorcycle-for-the-street/

6. Badbilly

United States
    WTF happened to all the dirt in Iowa?

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That's a bad ass bike you linked to, Billy ... 2-stroker ... braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Glad I got ta see them run at Laguna....when Americans ruled.... still can smell them.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Way back in time my house was the very last house in my track of homes, across the street and everywhere south of me were fields and orange groves, plus horse ranches, so pretty much all I had to do was ride across my street to MY field of dreams....neighbors hated me fer sure, me and my buddies would ride all and ever day rain or shine...Remember 4 of us covered in mud, stripped down and hosed off our jeans on the front porch, went inside to play slot cars....folks were not to pleased...wish I could click my heals to go back....
    But I'll leave that to SOW and his ruby red slippers

10. Badbilly

United States
    Did the politicians play the displacement game with you guys in Canada? Washington State had tiered licensing for years based on displacement. Somehow this was supposed to be relative with HP, speed and "whatever". The criteria was determined by the folks at DMV.

Under and over 500cc was the "rule" I had some fun with my SR500 that's really 499cc if Yamaha's figures are accurate and the math whizzes here agree. More fun when I put in a 90mm piston went over 500cc. I was glad I threw that one in the pile at one of the smaller DMV offices. In a main metro office I might still be there.

11. Badbilly

United States

SOW will want a pic of you and your buddies all stripped down.. Please try not to get him all excited..

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Nooooooooooooo!!!!

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I had the same fortunate situation of having a field at the end of my street ... and yes ... it did piss my neighbours off. Kids will be kids. :)

While I don't think the Canuckistan government played the tariff game like the US did (it was all about protecting Hardley Movingson), I know it did affect the Honda Magna V45 VF750C starting in about 1984 when they reduced displacement from 748cc to 698cc in order to combat the tariffs that the US was imposing.

I owned a 1982 Honda Magna V45 (VF750C) and restored it to near showroom condition. This is the bike that led me to my love affair with the Honda V4 engine and the VFR. :)

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    We started with building mini bikes at around 9-10 years old and its never stopped. Any of the 250-300cc are ideal for beginner and after you have tossed them a few times there is always a new rider looking for one. And as much dirt time as you can get. Learn how a bikes moves on the edge of traction, figure out what a low side and high side are and how to avoid them.

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Its not a very beginner friendly bike. I have had my 2007 since 2009 and I have dropped it a few times backing out of my drive way. Coming off of a 1993 cb750 that I had from 2007-2009, the vfr was pretty intimidating at parking lot speeds. I actually lowered it an inch when I first got it to make it easier to manage until I started learning the dynamics of handing and geometry, so I later put it back to stock height. Now that I am even more comfortable with the bike, I have raised it an inch over stock ride height in the rear to further speed up turn in. The bike handles like a dream now, but it is so tall and top heavy its still a little intimidating moving it around in the garage and parking lots. Makes me feel like a newb, 8 years later lol.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Randy's first bike was a VFR with many naps in between and over 100,000 miles...so it's doable

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  17. Badbilly

United States
    e

Real ten year old dudes start on 800lb Harleys first avoiding having one of the damn things fall on them.

Dirt? Damn straight!

The beauty of figuring oot high and low sides most times comes the hard way..

18. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    I just did a very simple thing, looked at the OP's profile, the post is dated 6/25/2015, date of last visit 6/25/2015, kind of explains why there's been no feedback from him
    :rolleyes:

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yep the hard way learning High and low sides in the is not as hard as the street. Especially if your wearing full MX gear.
    The first time I rode a Harley was a POS AMF one that leaked oil like a sieve. I was around 17 and had a RD 350. I couldn't understand the appeal of the Hardley, what a hunk of junk.

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah, he's the guy that bought the stretched turbo Busa for his first ride in flip flops and t shirt......