New member/proud owner of a 2002 VFR800

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mlap5150, May 24, 2013.

1. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum a week or two ago, upon which I found a post in the Classified section for a 2002 VFR800, stock and with only ~9000 miles, super clean. Ironically I also found the guy on Craigslist since he is also from Michigan. Anyway we met Wednesday and I bought this beauty, then took the maiden voyage from Grand Rapids to Grosse Pointe, which is about 160 miles, basically across the state. I caught some rain on the way back but made it no problem, thankfully. I attached some pics for your enjoyment.

While I'm at it, I was wondering what people recommended as far as the seat. I started getting a bit sore towards the end of my ride, so I'm wondering if an aftermarket seat would be worth the investment.

Thanks for reading everyone :biggrin:

- Mark

Attached Files:

2. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome & congrats on the bike, very nice clean '02 ya got there. I'm still using the stock seat on my '09 but there are lots of options. Might search the forum for likes/dislikes from the aftermarket seat users.

3. SinNH

SinNH New Member

Welcome fellow vifferman. Clean 02 to say the least, like highway star said. Lots of info here on saddles, and almost everything else. I always choose Sargent, got one on my 98. You already have bar risers, a seat upgrade and your good to go. Better check your reg/rect to make sure it was upgraded, or at least the splices coming from the alt have been changed. I didn't really like the red of my 98 at first, do now, especially in the shade on a sunny day when it's clean. Keep it under 135. :vtr2:

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to our world
    Look around in your area to see if you can have the seat done local
    Custom tailor to your need is the best. If not look for Sargent seat :thumbsup:
    Ride safe keep the rubbers side down and ATGATT.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Congratulations. It still looks like it is in showroom condition. I put a Sargent seat on my '07 and can say that it is an improvement. If the bike didn't come with a Power Commander, then that might be worth looking at. The PC will help with the low speed fueling issues and smooth out the VTEC transition. The PC makes a huge difference. Did the previous owner make any modifications to the bike other than the grips?

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ya what they said.....oh .and welcome fellow 02 owner.....the PCV is a HUGE!!!!! improvement . don't be cheap in the wrong way and do it, you won't regret it. enjoy that beauty and like Mr Long said ATGATT.

7. TheBeeDeeGee

TheBeeDeeGee New Member

Map
    Welcome man! I'm new to the VFR as well, my bike is the same year and color as yours. Mine came with the bags, but I really want that cowl like yours. Nice bike.

8. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'll definitely look into a Sargent or custom seat, as well as the PC and a new voltage regulator.

I had a bit of a nightmare over the holiday weekend...I let my dad ride it around a bit since he was the one who taught me how to ride starting at age 7. We reached a stop sign a block away from home and he tipped it over...snapped the right side mirror right off and scratched up the fairing a bit. Luckily most of the scratches buffed out, but one corner on the front fairing is down to the plastic...needless to say a new mirror and some touch up paint are on the way. It sucks though since the bike was absolutely spotless when I bought it, and also my friend just bought a CBR so I'm itching to get back on the road.

Anyway, on a brighter note (and speaking of ATGATT), I am now in the market for a new helmet since the O'neal Fastrack (Large) I ordered is too big for me. I made the classic mistake of not trying before buying but it was a calculated gamble since I have an offbrand helmet (also Large) that fits like a glove. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice mid to high end helmet? My main two criteria is that it's fiberglass and/or carbon fiber (some kind of composite material) and it's quiet at high speed, the bluetooth I can always add later :music:

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    If you looking for used helmet I found ADV forum is a great place to look
    Local CL would be best so you can try them on. Try Shoei or Icon they on sale from time to time.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on the new ride. but honestly...screw the bike...hows your Pop's ?

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    A warm welcome to the MadHouse from the far side of the pond :welcome:.

Shame about the tip-over. I hope you dad is OK!

Always a good idea not to over tighten pivot bolts on the wing mirrors. You want them just tight enough for the mirror to stay put, but loose enough to rotate safely out the way if the bike heads for the pavement.

Take care

SkiMad

12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Welcome Mark. Helmets, I have an HJC carbon that I really like but I don't think that it's the quietest helmet out there. I've had a couple of Shoei's but find this ones a better fit for me. I understand the Shoberth (spelling) is a nice and quiet helmet and is Bluetooth ready. Personally I wouldn't ride out of town without ear plugs no matter how quiet the helmet is rated. You can get a kit from Fuse for about $35 and make your own custom fit ear plugs. Perfect!
    One thing to know about a seat purchase, the Sargent allows you to still use your seat cowl whereas the Corbin does not.
    My last tid bit that has not been mentioned, heated grips! One of my favorite add ons that I have done. If you ever decide to do this look into Polygrip heaters. It's a heating element that goes inside the bar so you can use, and change, whatever grips you like.
    John

13. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the continued support guys. My dad is fine, it was a tip-over at a stop sign and I was able to help him out quickly since I was right behind him on the family's Yamaha XT225 (my learning bike). New mirror and touch up paint were delivered this week so I'm excited to get her back on the road tomorrow.

I went out today to try on some helmets and after trying several brands, I found that HJC fits me best, so I snagged this one on closeout (I got the last medium!) HJC RPS-10 Mugello Helmet | HJC Full Face Street Helmets at Bob's Cycle Supply | Bob's Cycle Supply

Next project is going to be a Sargent seat unless I can find someone local to customize the stock one :rockon:

14. thecman26

thecman26 New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on a MIGHTY fine purchase and welcome!
    I alsorecently bought me a '98 VFR and I was lucky enough to nab a bike with a sargent saddle and it is pure luxury! I rode it 240 miles home and my seat wasn't sore at least! ;)

Good looking ride there!

On the helmet question, nice grab! That's pretty cool and not crazy expensive either!

15. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

That's a great looking helmet Mark! You were wise to try different ones on for fit. Iv'e had two different Shoei's (great helmets) but they both put too much pressure on my forehead but also felt like they were lifting and I was always pulling them down by the chin guard. My HJC was a small but I later ordered the thicker cheek pads and x-small liner and it now fits me perfectly. Really like the graphics on yours.
    John