New member in Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ribrickulous, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Ribrickulous

Ribrickulous New Member

United States
    I do appreciate the advice. I’m particular on what I like - not looking for a 90s bike right now, but understood that a later 80s model is going to bring more bang for the buck.

This popped up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/937963580438720/

The “needs carbs” on the ‘86 VFR700F gives me pause. Unclear if they mean needs brand new carburetors for Some reason, or a cleaning.

So, frankly too does the low mileage, unless by this year the issues had been taken care of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This is what we have been talking about THIS WHOLE TIME.

That could mean anything from being truly verified they are un-salvageable (Not likely) to they just seem to think that you "replace" carbs when they are pretty nasty and need a complete rebuild (likely).

No prices listed. Not a good sign either.

I don't remember anybody saying anything about the 90's. 1986 - 1987. Who knows, that 85 VF700F might be the bike for you and it could be trouble free.

3. Ribrickulous

Ribrickulous New Member

United States
    I got in touch with the seller - the carbs literally aren’t there. Owner took them off to “to get them cleaned” and his estate (all the bikes were from an estate sale) couldn’t turn them up.

eBay turns up a few sets for $300 or so, and the project gremlin in the toolbox is making noise.

He wants $2k for it though, which seems high, even adjusting for the local area (I get offers for $4K for my 1972 CL350 in the city).

New chain, tires, etc…

Adds up quick.

I swear I’m not not listening to the advice, it’s just come sporadically since I started this thread.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I agree it's a little high, but not much. Any used bike will need consumables.

A nice early 70s CB/CL350 is way different than a mid 80s sport bike. The CL/CBs are hot right now and the guys that had them are older and have money. Guys that had sport bikes in the 80s are older and have money too, but they can't, or don't want to, ride them anymore. Well, at least a lot of them.

5. Ribrickulous

Ribrickulous New Member

United States
    Aaaaand brought the ‘85 home yesterday.

Some cosmetics that need to be taken care of, a good clean, and go over all the hoses, fluids, etc…

I’m debating on whether or not to at least take a peek inside at the cams and valves to set the clearance at a minimum. I probably will for peace of mind and to take the carbs off and clean/inspect.

Ran it around the sellers neighborhood. Started up very smoothly from cold, no top end noise at the beginning or end of the ride.

Obvious statement - much more powerful than the CL350. Will have to remind myself to ease into this ride.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has a thermostat bypass switch installed for the fan, and the horn isn’t working, so there will be some wiring work along the way.

Viffer J likes this.
  6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Congrats. It looks to be in decent shape with a couple battle scars.

You should absolutely get in and inspect / adjust the valve train. Besides looking for the obvious signs of pitting / galling, you need to check clearances. Tight valves don't make any noise, but they can do a lot of damage.

Start reading up on checking the clearances on early V4s. You will want 2 sets of feeler gages too.

Have fun!

Ribrickulous likes this.
  7. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, nice score. Looks pretty nice from this angle.

Do not ride without checking the cams and valve clearance.

As Captain said, use 2 feeler gauges when adjusting the lash.

Ribrickulous likes this.