New member from Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by hunterz, Jul 10, 2016.

1. hunterz

hunterz New Member

Hello all!

Paul from Melbourne (Everyone calls me Hunterz) a new (for me) VFR owner!

I found my '95 VFR750 on fleBay for a good price and it had a good mechanical history but the outside was looking a little shabby and faded. Exactly what I was after! Got it for a remarkably low price as it had done a few Km's - around the 80,000km mark.

I live in Victoria and picked the bike up from a location in Canberra (Some 550 or so Km's away) and decided with the wife we could treat it as a bit of a weekend away and ride the bike back. So we left at 6am on the Saturday and got up to pick the bike up at about 1pm. Did the needful, emptied my wallet and straddled the back of the "new machine". It was comfortable and sounded amazing. It did, however need some motion lotion so the wife and I stopped at Yass (about 40km from the pickup). All was going well.

And then..... After leaving the servo and heading south for about 50km the needle on the speedo dropped to zero for a split second and picked back up. Strange, I thought. A few minutes later it did it again, twice. Concerning. I had done a lot of research on these bikes before I decided to pull the trigger on it and I immediately thought I had a dodgy Reg/Rec. Anyway, the bike kept going intermittently dropping the speedo and then it died. I pulled over, checked all the wiring connections, disconnected and reconnected everything, pulled some hair out (which was difficult given I'm bald) and then...Vroom. Phew, I thought!

Kept on motoring and almost like clockwork some 50 more km down the road - the same thing. I stopped and tried to emulate my previous attempts and fiddled and played with all the wiring. Same sort of time frame and she started and we were off again. Only this time it didn't fix the speedo at all. Some 10km more up the road and the bike dies for the 3rd time.

At this point I will point out I did not have a contingency plan or the funds to get the bike towed some 400km back home. I was in a bit of panic. I rechecked all the wiring and then wife said she noticed she saw the wire on the positive side of the battery move. Haha! I thought. Went to tighten it up and the thing was as tight as it would go and had no movement. 3 or 4 minutes of quiet panic when I thought "I better check the negative, too, just in case".

Bingo. The negative terminal was all but hanging off. Tightened it up and the thing ran like an absolute dream the remainder of the trip.

TL/DR - Always start with the basics. I usually do - but was convinced I "knew" what the problem was. This should have been the first alarm bell as I very rarely "know" anything.

I'm not blaming the bike for this at all - entirely my fault and I am chalking this experience up to an impromptu "getting to know you" session.....

Here she is, safely at home.

13619963_10153752706232503_7056494915035516347_n.jpg

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Paul and welcome to the Madhouse.

Kudos for including a photo with your first post.

It's good to hear you managed to resolve the battery gremlins!

As you will discover red vfrs are the fastest - so get out and enjoy it.

Take care

SkiMad

3. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome Hunterz. Nice bike you have. Should be lots of fun. Many great people here from your parts too. Your wife is fantastic! Most would be telling their mate he is a IDIOT but your girl diagnosed the issue. Enjoy that VFR and stay awhile.

4. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

What a super story!!
    Happy for you guys that it was a simple issue!
    Welcome and enjoy your new moto!

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the nut house!!! Great ride!

Post often!! :)