New member East Mids - UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John.321, Sep 29, 2022.

1. John.321

John.321 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi - hope this post ends up in "introductions" section!

My name is John; I am based in Leicestershire, UK. I just bought my first VFR - its a 6th Gen, 2009, black metallic. I've had lots of bikes, started with 2-strokes (mostly Kawasakis) and later, plenty of big sportsbikes. My only previous Hondas were a Fireblade and Firestorm. I think the VFR 800 is fantastic, I love the V-4 engine and its super comfiortable for me.
    It's done 21,000 miles with a very good service history and pretty unmolested. It does have full Honda luggage but I am going to remove the top box and find some grab rails and seat cowl because the panniers are enough for me and I reckon its more elegant without the top box.
    Anyway I am currently spending lots of time on VFR world to try and learn all about it and look at what sensible tweaks I can do....

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Welcome and congratulations on picking one of the best all around and versatile sport motorcycles ever made.

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to VFRW John. All of us are addicted to viewing VFR photos, so feel free to show off your "new-to-you" ride by clicking on Upload a File, then choose a few good shots of the VFR. We also like to see your other rides.

skimad4x4 likes this.
  4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi John and Welcome to the Madhouse.:Welcome:

As others have said ...

:worthless:

There is masses of info on here about your 6th Gen which may be of interest so have fun browsing the forum.

Whilst mechanically these bikes are capable of immense milesages (I sold my old 6th Gen at well past 200k and it was still running perfectly), one thing you may want to be alerted to, is the charging system gremlins which have plagued so many VFR 800 owners. This enormously long thread will give you an idea...

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

If you can - you may want to contact the previous owner and ask if they have already replaced (and hopefully upgraded) the regulator/rectifier unit which for 6th gens tends to be the primary cause of grief, but it can quickly cause issues with the stator, battery and even melt connectors in the loom.

You might want to invest a few quid on a cheapo digital voltmeter - you can pick them up from TheBay - and fit it to a ignition controlled circuit. This won't prevent electrical issues, but should allow you to quickly know what is normal voltage for your bike, and then if you suddenly see the volts rise or fall alarmingly - it should give you a chance to head some place safe before the energy left in the battery is drained and you end up stranded at the roadside.

In the meantime have fun with your new VFR

:wheelie::wheelie::wheelie::wheelie::wheelie::wheelie:

Take care ATGATT.

SkiMad