New Hampshire House Bill 95

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by MrJoelieC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Greetings all,

Well, I'm not suprised by the introduction of this Bill but I do not like it... I have spoken to a couple of house reps who are already not in favor of it but they may not be in the majority:

American Motorcyclist Association - 01/07/2009 Action Alert - New Hampshire HB-95 is Bad News

Like it or not guys, this bill effects us all.. Not just the "Harley Loud Pipes" but the average guy who buys a Star Cruiser that has no tach... How about the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, generation VFR owners who bought F1 exhausts and now cannot get a stock exhaust? It effects us all...

I urge all NH residents to e-mail and/or call your local representative.. If you are unsure use this link:
    NH House of Representatives

Maybe copy the transportation commitee members as well:
    House of Representatives Transportation commitee

The Bill will be going forward toward the commitee on the 21st of Janaury at 11:30am.
    NH House of Representatives Commitee schedule

I'm going to try to attend.. I wrote an e-mail to my representatives and have received phone calls already from a few. One of them has urged me to speak my "words of wisdom" (such as they are.) in front of the commitee on the 21st.... Yeesh... Me and public speaking.... Gulp....

2. Rev

Rev New Member

I think your sig says it all...

3. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

I get the exhaust/muffler mods in this proposed bill. I don't agree with it but I understand it.

But what the hell does the requirement of a tachometer have to do with? Am I missing something or just dumb as a bag of hammers? :unsure:

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yeppers...and you can thank the folks that think that it is their God given right to have their exhaust as obnoxiously loud as they want. Piss off the wrong folks, and it is time to join Denver, and NYC! Reap the repercussions!

:vader:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    The only reason the attachment of a "Tach Requirement" is to aid in "enforcement" of "on the spot checks" If you read the actual bill proposal it states a certain db at 10" away at a 45 degree angle at a certain RPM.. It's unmeasurable if there is no tach...

6. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

So does that mean the state is going to start issuing their Leo's an ECT (Exhaust Check Toolbox) containing the following???,

Decibel meter (from radio shack)
    Measuring tape
    Protractor

Crazy!

Keep us posted. Because if one states passes this as law, you can be guaranteed the rest of the states and provinces will be considering doing the same.

Hey folks in Europe! Do they have similar laws in your area?

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    A simple allowance of factory, purpose built replacement pipes/mufflers would allow most of us to keep our Leos and Staintunes but still regulate the straight pipe Harley types.

8. derstuka

Map
  9. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

So CO, NY and now NH. Who's next? Or do I dare ask? The feds?

Are these laws an amendment to start including all motorcycles with cars and trucks? Or is the ONLY for motorcycles? I've heard many, many car exhausts, both import and domestic, that are extremely painful to listen to. Kind of double standard if they are only targeting motorcycles.

10. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    Are you grandfathered if your date of manufacture predates the passing of the law?

I'm all for cutting noise from the general "freedom" asshat who just wants it loud, but saying no aftermarket exhaust or mufflers in general is going too far. What if there's a DOT approved replacemnt part for your exhaust? Your pipes rot out, get crushed, etc. on a 15+ year old ride and you HAVE to find OEM? WTF? Does it include O2 sensors, heat shields, cats etc?

I agree with RWB on the fart cans, straight pipes, turn downs, etc on cars/trucks too. Just as obnoxious. How about telling all cars and trucks no exhaust mods? I think the likes of Flowmaster would have something to say. No aftermarket cats, resonators, etc? It's crazy. Midas et al may as well shut doors in NH.

Thank your local "loud pipes save lives" douchebag for the favor.

11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    You're absolutely correct, Living in Denver I can tell you I have yet to come across a sportbike getting over that 100 DB level. I know there out there but totally uncommon. However we in Denver have been living with Harleys that are idoling at 110 db and higher. When gassed I think these monstrosities are easily hitting 125 db and higher. This unfortunately was common place in CO.

The good thing about the Denver law is that there was nothing legislated about modifications. Noise was the only issue. So we in Denver can still pipe are rides but the noise level can not exceed 98 DB. The vast majority of sportbikes
    will thankfully fit nicely under this limit.

Also in Denver there isn't an actuall DB test unless an officer happens to pull up next to you and determines that he "believes the muffler to be in non-compliance." Many thought this would lead to poor police discretion but unless your ride is truly obnoxiuos(and you HD riders know who I'm talking about) there is rarely a problem

12. derstuka

Map
    "BUT OFFICER, I SWEAR IT IS BONE STOCK!"

[​IMG]

13. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Derstuka,you should come to Denver, your photos aren't all that far off. Thanks for the laugh!!

14. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

They have no DB test? WTF?!

You're guilty because you look guilty. In this case, you're guilty because you sound guilty. That's a leaky bucket that just doesn't hold water. You sure as hell wouldn't need Johnny Cochrane to get out of that ticket. Surely, the law MUST prove, with a DB test, that your exhaust is illegal. If they've set a 98db level in the law then someone has to be able to test for it. And I sure hope it's not the Leo that has pulled you over on the side of the road. That's justifies the old saying...putting the wolf in charge of the hen house. There should be an independent, but still probably state/provincially ran, testing center. Much like we have here in Ontario for the emissions testing.

If the states/provinces don't provide such testing centres to settle the "argument"......then let the pissing contests begin. The line-up starts right over there. :bs:

15. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

ROTFLMAO!!! :rofl:

Derstuka, that is just priceless! LOL!

"Sorry officer, I can't here you, my pipes are do DAMN LOUD!.....WHAT?!"

Thanks for the laugh.

16. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    There is a state sactioned DB test but only after an officer has issued a citation. If you pass the test then nothing further is required but if you fail then you're headed for court. This test is conducted immediately to avoid any changes to the exaust. But there is not any sort of random testing say for example when you go in for emissinos