New guy in PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Durk, Jul 14, 2012.

1. gwcrim

gwcrim New Member

2. Durk

Durk New Member

No I'm about 40 minutes east.
    I stumbled across that super bike set up and it sounds pretty easy to do. I want to keep the bike as stock looking as possible though. I started to get a little used to the riding position.

3. Durk

Durk New Member

4. Durk

Durk New Member

Mouse Horrors. I popped the air clear lid off and boy was I in for a surprise. This is actually after I shop vac'd some of it.
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully nothing made it below the filter.
    So...no RR until Tuesday, hopefully the filter I ordered comes in soon. I'm going to have to change the oil soon. Got my new rubber on. Front pads are shot.
    Ordered some EBC HHs since everyone seems to recommend them. I'm going to have a brand new bike soon.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn Durk! Its gonna feel like a new bike getting that nest out of there.

6. Durk

Durk New Member

Yup.
    This week weather-wise is pretty bad for riding. I'm going to get set up to solder the stator in tomorrow night when my RR comes in. I forgot I already had heat shrink tubing and all the supplies.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :hss:This only happen in the mid west and east coast........In the west coast there are no creatures left.....The Asian (Chinese) eat them all.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Never happened to me.....wait, there was Vegas earlier this year. But I was also visiting there.

Welcome to the site. Nice acquisition. Including the surprised nest. The little creatures are the main ingredients to Scubalong's Pho

9. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow. I dunno about you, but at times like these I have a chat with my more diabolical friends about an appropriate and measured response for the seller...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  10. Durk

Durk New Member

Those choice words would be better aimed at the dealer that passed this bike's inspection.
    The guy that sold it to me didn't work on it himself. He had no idea. So far this dealer passed this bike with 13 year old dry rot tires, almost NO front brake pads, and the literal rats nest in the air box. They didn't even bother to adjust his chain. They changed the oil, you'd think they'd take 2 seconds and check out the rest of the bike. At least for it's second life it will be maintained.
    It has been raining a lot here in western Pa, so I'm not missing ride time. It's supposed to rain pretty much the rest of the week and the majority of my stuff is coming in. RR today, pads tomorrow, front fork oil around Friday or Sat.
    The air filter is taking forever. I made the mistake of buying one off ebay coming from China. Blah. I bought UNI foam and am going to gut the mouse filter and clean it and make a uni filter.

11. gwcrim

gwcrim New Member

Here's what was in my airbox. Maybe they were cousins?

[​IMG]

12. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like a cat got sucked through the air filter.

13. Durk

Durk New Member

I found a few other pics on the net of mice nests in VFR air boxes. I guess they must be easy to get into.
    So my R/R came. Got it all back together. I ended up gutting and cleaning the mouse filter. Glued in some DIY foam air filter sheets and sprayed it with K&N filter oil. That will have to make due until my filter is delivered.
    Rolled the bike out, was happy to hear the fuel pump. She fired right up. I verified the battery was charging.
    So phase 1 of the refreshing is winding down. I should have the front pads on and fork oil done by this weekend. Hopefully I can enjoy riding season without getting into phase 2. Phase 2 will be rear brake pads, clutch and brake fluid change, sprockets, chain replacement, and wiring in my accessories.

14. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that's some crazy mouse nests. Surprising it even ran, let alone ran well enough to buy.

when I bought my '98, it had 19k on the odometer. I did the valve inspection and all four intake valves on the front two cylinders were tight. The worst was only .002 clearance.

The valve inspection, and adjustments if necessary, are very easy on the 5th gen. Probably the best feature of gear drivin cams.

Get it done

15. Durk

Durk New Member

I concluded that all the nest material was just extra filtration, and the cleaner air was probably making some serious horsepower.
    I have a whole laundry list of things to do to this bike this winter. I've already put 1000 miles on the bike though, it's a joy to ride.

16. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I had one fry riding it back home from the PO's place so I can certainly identify with the sense of disgust you are feeling.

On another note, I've bought lots of good stuff around Pittsburgh. I found a pristine 5th gen in Cannonsburg and an Acura MDX (CAGE) just north east in Indiana Pa. Gave me a reason to drive through Punxsutawney, the place where the large rat predicts the weather. LOL

17. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

You need to look down below the throttle bodies! I bet ya find something like this and inside you will find that they have been chewing on the power cables.

[​IMG]

18. Durk

Durk New Member

Everything looked ok down there, they did eat away at some of the plenum.
    So as an update, I finally got some stuff for it.
    I won a zero gravity DB windsreen off ebay for $10.
    I just bought heli bars off a member here for $85.
    Feeling pretty proud of myself. I thought I could hold off on the heli bars, but after a couple 100+ mile rides my wrists, elbows and shoulders were sore. All I need is a better seat and I'll be ready to munch some serious miles.

19. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a big fan of finding your local upholsterer who does motorcycles and get a seat fit to your ass as opposed to an aftermarket "one size fits all" solution.

local upholsterers seem to charge about the same. Ask your local used bike shop who works on all their beat up used stuff before it goes on the floor.

20. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Well with the shortage of real leather up here in the cold north country, we just take weekend trips to PA, find a few holsteins and when nobody is watching, we skin em alive and then retreat across the border before anyone notices. This activity is generally blamed on UFOs so have never been caught.

When we get back home, we process the hides on the back porch and then hand sew them into custom seats full of shedding pussy fur as they are in abundance up here. The results look like the image below. I fear that with everyone buying the schticky, we will have a harder time locating the soft pussy fur in the future. Not sure how we will deal with this.

[​IMG]