Need tire recommendation

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by The_Head, Oct 21, 2018.

1. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    It's been over 4 years since since I have been in the market so I don't know whats what for tires these days. I don't really do a lot of sport riding, I mostly do commuter type miles these days. I'm not against using a more sticky tire on the front so the set wears out at around the same time. Hoping for 8000 miles.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Seriously?! Are you new to forums? Be prepared for an onslaught of posts! You’ve just opened Pandora’s box...

In all seriousness, basically any modern sport touring tire will be sufficient for your needs. Many here are fans of the Michelin Pilot Road series, they are now the Road 5. Another popular series is the Bridgestone T30/T31 and Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Any and all of the above would be a solid choice with good mileage for commuting. Another set of choices would be Pirelli Angel GT and Metzeler Roadtec.

Riding a 2000 and duccmann like this.
  3. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah was hoping to sort out which ones were more sporty and which ones were not as sticky but lasted longer.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've had good luck with Michelin Pilot Road tires. The Road 4 has given me more than 8k miles, two sets ago, I got 11k and my current set (Road 5) I'm at 7.9k miles and have plenty of tread left. Although most of the miles (on several sets) have been freeway and highway but I have taken the bike on several touring and canyon rides, even a couple of track days on the Road 5s and can say I have not felt they didn't do their job well.

Riding a 2000 likes this.
  5. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    8600 miles on my Roadsmart 2's. Still have plenty of tread left, especially on the front. Only complaint, at the 8k mark they started to square off, so at slow speeds when turning you can feel the square edge before you get more to the side tread, at which point they handle fine. Work fine above slow speeds. I noticed the same thing with the original Roadsmarts. My riding is mainly straightline, so I imagine they'll square off less if you ride in an area with twisty roads.

Riding a 2000 likes this.
  6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Michelin's or Bridgestone's. Well Michelins for sure because I never had a bad set with three previous bikes, I just put on a set of Bridgestone T30 Evo's, so time will tell. Lots of people love Dunlop's, but I am not a fan. Though my last set that I took off did worked fairly well, no complaints I just wanted to get these Evo's on that where in my closet for a year + because of the manufacture date. I have a year and a half to burn them so I will do my best. I heard 8,000 + miles from some so I will see what the coming year brings for riding time and distance.

Tires are somewhat of more a personal preference trying many models and manufacture's, Some switch up front and back. I keep the same on both. I also switch out both even if one like the front can still work for a while. I have 2 front tires sitting in my garage trying to get the garbage man to get rid of them.I even hid one in a very large can under garbage but no luck so far, but I keep on trying.:) Good Luck.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Not sure if you have them in Utah but Costco will take them, they’re supposed to collect a $2 recycle fee but the last few times I’ve dropped them off, the manager said don’t worry about it.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    79B44459-0550-4B71-B088-D3D24C4FE943.jpeg Arrived the other day.

Bubba Utah and Riding a 2000 like this.
  9. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I took right against the Pilot Road 4s, only half worn and the bike was squirrelling around in the rain like I've never known it on any of the other rubber I've used, so off they came. T30Evo, Roadtec01, Roadsmart3, all good. Going to try the new Conti RoadAttack3 this winter, the PR4s have put me off the Road5s, maybe unjustifiably but there you go.

10. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Wait, a tire thread? Ok, get the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's. They're really nice

11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Which ones? Rosso II, Rosso III, Rosso Corsa, Rosso Corsa II,

12. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Oh, my bike has the III's

13. fireman1028

fireman1028 New Member

United States
    I just put a set of Dunlop Q3+ on my 2014. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I have had good success with the regular Q3's on my 6th Gen.

XRedJar likes this.
  14. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I like the Pilot Road series as well. Good grip and they last a long time before squaring off.

15. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    What kind of mileage were you getting out of the Q3's? I'm putting new tires on mine in the spring and thinking of the M7RRs. I ride mostly backroads at a reasonably sporty pace, but like knowing I've got grip in reserve if I need it. Just looking for something I can expect about 5k out of without squaring off too badly.

16. fireman1028

fireman1028 New Member

United States
    Not sure on the milage. I had put them on before my 1st track day and was blown away at the grip.

The selling point of the Q3+ is the sides are just as soft and sticky, but the center strip is much harder for longevity.

If I was commuting or taking a long road trip, I would choose something different(PR4)

XRedJar likes this.
  17. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    Strange. So many 5 star reviews on Revzilla. I'm still here reading the replies. My budget is 400, including install, if possible. I think I can get a deal on labor if I buy the tires form the shop doing the labor. Might be a little tight though.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you're close to Anaheim, I can do the tire change for you, it'll cost you a good lunch or a sixer of IPA, on or off the bike. I have a couple of friends that drop ship their tires to my house and when they show up, I call them to schedule a time that works for our schedules.

As far as Road 5's go I like mine and they seem better than the PR4s I had on before but as the saying goes, YMMV.

19. The_Head

The_Head New Member

United States
    Map
    Unfortunately, I am not. The bike came from Moorpark though. Rode out in '04 VFR, came back in '14

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    New designs ARE sticky and DO last longer than those of the past. You would have to really be riding unintelligently on the public roads to NEED anything other than an Angel GT or other dual compound ST tire. Bridgestones last and stick well but ride hard as hell. I've bought my last one. Angel GT's are my tire....for now. It's a "which is the best oil" kind of subject.