My '93 resto/project/money pit

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by smack doogle, Jan 21, 2012.

1. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice finished product!

After reading this thread, I'm kinda afraid to post updates on my current "mutilation" of a salvage title 93. Having said that, I probably still will... once I get back to it.

Smack, have fun and keep doing your thing! Thats what it's about. You learn as you go. Hell, when I started tinkering with bikes in the 80's, I learned the hard way, how not to set your bike on fire and watch it melt down on the side of the road. Obviously this didn't happen to you, so I'd say you're WAY ahead! Enjoy your ride!

2. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    The first cleaning was with Simple Green. I took out all the jets and soaked everything overnight in the stuff. It worked alright. The next two times were a lot of carb cleaner and compressed air. Spray carb cleaner in one way and then compressed air in the other way. I learned quickly that every passage has an enter and exit hole so there should always be something coming out the other end when spraying stuff in. Once I got all that sorted she was golden.

3. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    I wish! Naw, they did buy some new gaskets for engine covers and since the damage done was basically an extension of what damage was already there I said eff it. I paid them what I sold it to them for. Honestly, I just wanted it back. I felt as though I had unfinished business.

Today on the way home from work I hit the 1000 mile mark (not bad for a week of riding) since she's been all put back together.

No issues except...........when the fan kicks on while sitting in traffic the idle gets rough and will eventually drop and the engine will quit. She start right up but idles rough and dies again until I get rolling and the engine cools. Then she's fine again. I started a thread about it so I won't go on about it but thats the only issue thus far.

I'm leaning towards VTR1000 SuperHawk forks (with 10 wt. oil and 1K racetech springs) this winter along with either RC51 calipers and master cylinder or 2001 GSXR 1000 6 pot calipers. We'll see. I'm also up in the air on the rear shock. Maybe a Daugherty special? Maybe a PENSKE? Maybe?????? I don't know but I'll post here when I do.

4. nhbubba

nhbubba New Member

Bike looks great from here. I remember reading your thread early on and thought I was sub'ed.. I wasn't and am just seeing the updates now.
    Well done from this angle.

5. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Thanks. Last month (sept.) I managed just over 3000 miles on it so I think she's well broken in. Although, I have it back apart now. I have a rough idle when hot and the battery isn't charging like it should be so I think a new R/R is to be on order. We'll see.

I'm going to keep it since the title will be rebuilt and I wouldn't be able to get what I want for it anyway. Plus, I have plans for it.