My '93 resto/project/money pit

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by smack doogle, Jan 21, 2012.

1. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Thanks Dave. I would take you up on your offer but I've already found someone who wants the whole thing so I'm going to go that route. If it doesn't work out though I'll let you know.

2. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Well, the person who originally bought it back in March sold it back to me (same price I sold it to him for) in July. I finished what I started in January. She's on the road. The bodywork sucked and you can tell it's my first time at it but it's mine, I did all the work. It's my project and I'm happy with the work done. Here's how she sits now.

[​IMG]
    By smackdoogle at 2012-08-12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. davjohns

davjohns New Member

Well, I was looking forward to reading about a rebuild, got concerned about some random attacks for no reason that I could tell, then the bike was finished? What happened between the smoking engine and 'here she is'? Is she running right now?

4. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks fine. Hope you ride her often and keep her pampered.

You need some 4th gen turn signals in the rear and a license plate.

Larry

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Please fill in the blanks. What happened from the time you sold it, bought it back, and now? I for one am curious.

6. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Sorry for the gap in info. I was dead tired last night. Here's what happened.

I sold it in March. Mainly cause I ran out of time but I was pretty discouraged with some posts on here and the engine smoke and sounds. Got rid of it for $800. The guy I sold it to in March called me July 2nd and asked if I had wanted it back (I had been looking for another project anyway) so I asked the condition and he said he rode it down the street, got scared and parked it. I picked it up on the 3rd and brought it home. I can tell why he got scared, he fricken layed it down on the right side!!!! Oh well, the bodywork was trashed anyway.

Well, I fiddled with it to get it running smooth. I'm thinking the smoke and engine noise I was hearing earlier in the year was poorly adjusted/cleaned carbs. I re did those and got her purring smooth. Then off to the body work. I have never painted or welded plastic before and wanted to try it so I did a lot of research online.

I found a left side middle fairing from a '92 in San Francisco on Craigslist. Thankfully the guy was legit and shipped it to me for $60 including shipping. It was rough but doable. The rest of the bodywork I mended and fixed and welded and filled to the best of my abilities. Lots of sanding and fixing and repeat. I also bit the bullet and bought an airtech solo seat cowl.

If you have the time and money, spend the $1000-$1500 to pay someone to do this shit. It really is money well spent and it sucks so effing bad. Once I got everything fixed and repaired (again, to the best of my abilities) I started the paint process. Since my compressor isn't strong enough for a gun I went with Dupont rattle cans (yes, I am aware this is cheap and not recommended). My process, 3 coats of primer, then wet sand with 400 grit. 4 coats of color (Nissa Super White) then wet sand with 600 grit. Then 4-5 coats of clear. Let sit for 1-2 weeks and then apply 1 coat of rubbing compound, 4 - 6 coats of polish and then wax as needed. As is, it's about a 10 foot paint job with a great shine!!! Not perfect but for a rider whose owner never did the shit before, it's not bad. I spent about $300 in paint and supplies. You use a lot more than you'd think. The biggest issue I had was smoothing out filler in areas that I applied to cover the plastic welding. I didn't have enough patience and it shows in a few areas.

While I waited for paint to dry and such, I rebuilt the forks (just new oil and seals, so not really a rebuild I guess). I didn't focus much on them because I plan to put on a new front end this winter. Either a 2005+ R1 front end or something else. Not sure yet. I also put in a new starter clutch, new levers and other little things here and there (fasteners, plastic, mirrors, windscreen, etc.) Clean out the clutch slave cylinder (it was weeping ever so slightly). That's about it.

All said and done, I'm about $1500 into it including the cost of the bike. I have to get it inspected (hopefully this week) and then register it to get it on the road. I'm still waiting for a few fasteners and little things here and there but she's about finished up.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So no engine tear down needed, that's always a good thing. Doing things more than once is always a PITA and leaves room for screwing something else up, but IMO, part of projects like these is the learning process. I think we all make mistakes or take short cuts that come back to bite us in the a$$, but ultimately we learn from that and by posting our trials an tribulations we may just save the next guy from going through the same issue(s). So I get where you're coming from, after all it's your bike, your project and your time. I am glad that you got this working and from the photos she looks pretty good for a rattle can paint job. Hopefully after this project you'll have more experience and confidence to know right away if the next project truly is a money pit. Congrats on getting her back on the road.

Cheers!

8. davjohns

davjohns New Member

Well, sorry about the negative posts...glad you got to play with a project....I think all of that stuff you wrestled with was probably the good part of a project. Looks excellent for $1,500. Probably worth more than that in the fun of seeing your handiwork. Enjoy riding her.

David

9. zedXmick

zedXmick New Member

smack doogle
    NEVER let any negative posts on ANY forums get you down. Good on ya for getting another 3rd gen back on the road. I was an orginal 91 (new bike) owner way back in the day...good job!!

10. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Thank you Sir! I see your from Wisconsin? Where abouts? I'm born and raised in Crivitz, WI. I'm navy and have been for 15 years now but I plan on moving back (Green Bay, La Crosse, Fon du lac??????) when I retire. I've heard there are some great roads out in Western WI.

11. zedXmick

zedXmick New Member

I'm in central WI, near Wausau. Yeah the western /SW part of the state has GREAT roads. I don't get to ride them often enough.....

12. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Bike looks great. I've always said I thought the white 3rd gens were the best looking VFR's and you've done a great job putting it back together.

I'd really like to get my hands on a cheap 3G project like that and bring it back to life. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  13. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Thanks! I got it registered last Tues. and have thrown about 400 miles on it since. So far so good. Much more comfy than my '86 750. This winter I'll be looking into the suspension. I'm sure if I should go with USD forks (R1) or just some good ole Superhawk forks with RC51 calipers and master for brakes. Decisions..............

14. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    I was looking into Wausau but I'd like to retire closer to a military base (just for the commissary alone) and FT McCoy is near La Crosse. Plus, I'm not sure about the IT field in Wausau. Actually, I'm sure about it anywhere in WI.

15. inovermyhead

inovermyhead New Member

I'm glad i read all of this, i got my 92 vfr 750 as a project bike because i want to learn how to fix it up. So far all the work i've done on it i've done by myself with no prior knowledge of working on any bike. I haven't done anything serious, just replaced the tank lock, ignition (i got a new tank lock and ignition with new keys) I replaced the brake/clutch levers because they were broken, i pulled brake fluid through the lines, and i took off the broken front cage (Not sure exactly what it's called, the metal frame thing that holds the speedometer and mirrors) I got the bike for $550 and it runs fine, i took it up and down the road when i first got it and it shifted through all the gears no problem. Before i get it on the road i'm getting a friend of mine who actually knows what he's doing to take apart the carbs and clean them really good, then i just need to put on the new front cage to hold speedo/mirrors/headlight, and reapholster the seat and i'll be good to go. It's still pretty ugly..because i can't afford to buy the fairings, but i don't need to impress anyone, it's my first bike and i want something to learn on that can take a little abuse from a newbie

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Nice read- keep on keepin on --- if you decide to part her out , I have first dibs on that rear wheel .

17. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Part it out? Shoot. I've thrown about 1000 miles on it since later last week. It's my commuter. Plan on doing a 500 mile day this weekend or next on it. I figure by then I should know all the lil bugs and kinks with it and I can start making my shopping list for the suspension and such.

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    SHIT, and I really dislike the stupid ass saying but MY BAD. After drink-in some great scotch and getting side tracked with the wife, I neglected to click on the most recent post from you--- your like -part it out, rear wheel shit I riding this puppy. Glad you stuck to your guns, Thats the American way, just like all the rest of the awesome people here on this site that build custom VFR's and bring the used and abused back from the dead with one of the BEST bikes out there still to this day-My first street bike was a 84 Interceptor and I always rode her hard and put her away wet -Over 200,000 miles until the 2nd gear said thats it. So awesome job Smackman----- Love that year

19. Sparksnorthern

Sparksnorthern New Member

Map
    Yeah, Man. I'm glad you got the bike back and finished what you started. I'm starting out with this same sort of thing and this was a really inspring story. Make sure you keep this thread going with your next steps on the project.

You mentioned you rebuilt/cleaned the carb at least 3 times. What did you do to the carbs after getting the bike back? You must've done an epic cleaning job?

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, you never told us what you bought it back for--- maybe $500 with damage??????????:hss: