My '93 resto/project/money pit

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by smack doogle, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Dielectric grease is non-conductive and is only good for high voltage loads, like on your spark plug boots. It will act as an insulator to low voltage electrical connections.

2. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Hmm, I had no idea. Very good to know. Thank you Sir!

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    +1 and it dries out into this green corrosive powder. i dielectric'd all the connections on my bike about a year ago and ive been paying for it ever since.
    i just randomly blew my running lights/gauge cluster fuse last night. mind you, this is an 07:crazy:

4. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Well, I went back through the carbs and slapped them back on tonight. Cleaned them with plenty of air and carb cleaner. My head does not appreciate the stuff. I felt lucky so I thought I'd crank her up to see what happens. After plenty of trying she finally lit off. Needed full choke and a little throttle but would hang out at 2k rpm. She didn't like any throttle input and would only run with the choke on. I'm sure plenty of adjusting and continuous cleaning is in store but she ran. She drank about 12oz. of gas in a hurry though.

Anyway, progress is progress and I'll take it.

5. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    ******Update*******

Changed out the plugs tonight and changed the oil and filter. I also ran it for a little bit yesterday with some sea foam (I know, not the proper way to go through the carbs but I figured it wouldn't hurt). She was only running on the back two cylinder.

Now she's running on all four cylinders and warms up with the choke and idles nicely at 1100 with no choke. Unfortunately she will only rev to about 2100 rpm with only minimal throttle inputs. She doesn't like a heavy hand. So, back into the carbs I go tomorrow or Sunday. I'm getting really good at the on/off carb routine.

Progress is progress and I'm taking baby steps so give me a break. This is going to be a long thread I think.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    hey this sounds pretty good. keep it up. slow and steady wins the race!

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Amen to dat Brother!
    Don't encourage him!!!

Thats like having your kid come home from school with a D+ and saying, "Whoooo HOooooOOO, SON!!!! You did gud!" Excuse my analogy but it aint good, and it aint good when your dealing with caruburetors having to pry em on and off. Then part of me kicks in where I should be nice and say, "yeh, well if you dont learn through doing, you don't learn." It just kills me that a nice Gen 3 bike fell into the hands of some errr, trying to be an eloquent mo-fo here....FUCK IT...

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    damn little harsh bro

9. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Wow! Thanks! Yeah, she's a real nice '93! Sitting outside for about 3 years keeps them nice and shiny especially the ones that have a salvaged title, smashed/missing bodywork and an unknown history. I should have just put it in the house on display!

I bought the bike for $250. I could have parted it out but I figured I'd get it running and road worthy and enjoy it. You don't like it then don't comment. I didn't ask ridervfr to post on my thread about how the work I'm doing on MY bike isn't the way he thinks I should do it.

Thanks for you 2 cents though. Very motivating.

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    lol
    its winter isnt it?

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Yah, and if you were standing cliff-side about to take the long step into the abyss, I might pull yah back, Might that is. Another analogy there, I feel like I am watching a train wreck, (the equivelant of reading your carburetor 101 posts) part of me wants to ignore them, then the other part of me wants to read em. (and I aint even a Gemini-but I am into duality) The whole point of a bulletin board format is to get feed-back/advice from others who have gone through what your going through; RIGHT? I know for fact, I could come up with a laundry list as long as your arm, as to what items need maintenance and such on this model/make/generation. Anywhoo, I would never break another man down for trying, have fun getting to know her, she is a great gal. I am biased towards the granite blue ones though, white kinda reminds me of a milk-truck ; )

12. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I have my first carb job waiting on my duke 600 monster.

There's only one way to learn this stuff and I am sick of carbs seeming like a dark art..

Good on ya for having a crack at it. Keep up the good work...

13. V-FOUR

V-FOUR New Member

cool project for $250, good luck!

14. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Thanks. I don't know how much further I'll be going with the build. I got the carbs cleaned and synched and now it's smoking and has developed a knock in the engine. Might be just parting it to get my money back.

15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Funny, I never considered my Gen 3 bike a "money pit" as it has saved me from investing $10,000 on a new scooter! Gawd forbid you should delve a little deeper with a compression check and or maybe a leak-down test???

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Wow,,, shocking pink...almost as shocking as a sick Viffer...

17. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    The amount of help you've been has been astonishing. Really a compression check? What would that do? Yeah, compression check completed. You may have plenty of spare time to spend day in and day out while you recieve your gov't checks but I don't have the time to rip open an engine and see what's going on inside when I spent $250 on the bike to begin with. Much easier to cut my loses and part the bike out than to shell out more for something that in my opinion isn't worth the work or effort. I looked at what I have, realize the amount of time and money to be put into the bike isn't worth it to me and decide to give up the parts to people who can better use them.

You've managed to $hi+ on my post when all I was doing is updating what I've been working on for the information of whoever wanted to read it. Learning as I go, I don't need a someone to take me by the hand or a pat on the back but I don't want to be told either that my project, and what I'm doing looks like a train wreck. My post was never to teach someone 101 of anything but to state my trials with the bike.

T

18. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    I'll take it off your hands.........PM me.

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The only thing I can say using my poetic license which is not as yet on the revoked list is --- Waat dah Fug

20. BLUE_MKIV

BLUE_MKIV New Member

Don't give up!

Don't listen to anyone else. $250 is a great price for that bike. I wish I could have stumbled onto a deal like that. I just bought a '91, two owner bike with 31,000 on it. I feel like I stole it for 1000.00. Bike runs, moves, and has never been down. I pick it up Sunday, and can't wait.

If nothing else, you could part that out and EASILY make your $250 back in the SSSA!!!

Not to rub salt in your wound, let me know if you want to part with the rims and tires...I'll buy your new tires for my '91~~!!!

Dave