My 1st carb rebuild has begun! 86 VFR750

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Lazy in AZ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    Good to hear you got it sorted, like I said before you have to get the carbs right for it to run smooth or it will have strange noises.

2. currycur

currycur New Member

Good Job lazy, your not alone bro I been down a few weeks myself. I got mine together and had her up in the mountains and everything and we had to tear my carbs apart again. My problem is when I get up to speed about 55+ the bike hesitates like it's missing. Threw us for a loop cause I been riding her no problems then this. I now know the carbs if not done properly can cause many different problems.

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    way to go.....

4. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    It's a great feeling when you finally get a carb issue figured out. Sometimes you can chase your tail forever. Nice work!

5. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Looking back through all the posts, you hit the nail on the head Toe. I just didn't catch it back then. It was the missing spring on the rear paddle that was the problem. Still not sure how I missed it. Kudos, Bro!

6. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    my baby is tagged and 100% legal now (slight delay in funding for the plate - which ended up only costing $20.75 for a year)

Such a great feeling knowing that I was able to get her running smooth after all the fiasco with the cleaning/rebuild. I've got braggin rights now whenever I talk about it though, and with as good as she sounds and rides I'm turning more heads now than I was before!

Thanks to everyone who helped me through the project. I went through and did individual thanks on important posts, but if I've missed anyone just know that everyone played a part getting her running again, and I point kudos to the forum for helping so much. I'm lucky to have had such a good team behind me on this. I hope that I can return the favor to you all in the future. I'll do my best to help out with what I've learned @ MMI so far, so expect to see me poppin up here and there when I can.

Lazy

7. currycur

currycur New Member

Lazy it ain't over, we need before pictures, after pictures, during the rebuild pictures, how she looks on empty pictures, how she looks on full pictures, pictures at the stop sign, pictures at the red light, pictures going through the red light, pictures of the parking space at school, pictures of where you park at home, pictures on the kickstand off the kickstand, pictures with the fairing on pictures of the fairing off, ummmm you get the message right? Like they told me THIS SITE IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!!!!!

8. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    and videos, Curry! Don't forget we need videos of us all goofin around on the bikes too! LOL

9. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

Thats why TOE CUTTER is DA MAN

10. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm trying to get one working carburator out of the 3 non working units that I have. 2 sets have the standard size spring in their sliders, and 1 set has longer, more powerful springs in them. the 2 sets with the standard spring have alot of trouble sliding, and usually get stuck or dont slide back into position for some time, while the larger spring set always, forcfully slide the sliders back into place. Should I usethe more powerful springs? Are there any disadvanates to using stronger springs?

11. zielarz

zielarz New Member

Yeay tc is right don't remove that thing that holds carbs together.but I must disagree with. Supertex..removing carbs and putinfg then together is easzy...use some grease....and put those rubber both right...after long time on bike they might get offset kind a possition.

12. Gregg in ohio

Gregg in ohio New Member

save yourself alot of time and trouble and junk the calif emm carbs and get a set of 49 state carbs and ditch all the crap on the bike plug off the front injector air pipes and u will not look back,did that to mine and what a difference..throw all the emmis stuff in a box eliminate all the vacume hoses ..they are a pain in the ass..if i had the energy id change the cams out also..but it came to life with the non emm carbs..pretty much impossible to get the emm carbs to work properly with all the stuff unplugged..gregg in ohio

13. jby

jby New Member

Lazy,

I'm about to embark on the exact journey with my 86 750. Thanks a lot for the details. Did you use aftermarket rebuild kits?

14. Gregg in ohio

Gregg in ohio New Member

non emm carbs

actually i found a set that just needed cleaned and if u need parts the needles and all the jets were the same size as the calif carbs,,i found a set from a 14k m bike needed minor minor cleaning..only difference i seen was the air pilot needle profile on the tips.so i used the non emm ones..ebay has ame usually taken off running bikes,,i guess the cam profiles are different also and the ecu box is different than the non emm.so ..but mine flys now,,cut off the front air pipes weld them shut.re-install on front head..easy to install with a hear lamp to soften carb boots,,gregg

15. jby

jby New Member

Thanks! I figured I'd just replace with all new jets, float needles, and gaskets.

16. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Lazarus, come back from the dead and be our next contestant on REVIVE THAT DEAD THREAD!

17. jby

jby New Member

Is it annoying to revive threads if they are really useful? I'm new to the intertube.

18. vinny

vinny New Member

I am glad that this thread has been brought back to life!
    I am working on a couple of VF750TDs that I got from Ebay, and at least one of them has the airbox plate already removed / missing!

So now I am a bit scared of what I have got myself into.
    I kinda hoped to get a spare set of carbs (already got) from Ebay, clean them up both outside and inside and pop them in and clean up the removed items - hnce having a spare set ready to go!

Reading the grim warnings about not taking the plate off now has me feeling a little concerned about how much aggro i have let myself in for!

19. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Nah, we just like to bust balls every now and then. Keeps the gimps in line.