Matt Tries – 1984 VF500F Overhaul

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Colddevil, Feb 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good job. Almost there.

Yes, that's the tool.

On the front brakes... rotate the the bar forward so the master has an uphill slant to it. Now with the cap off, notice the little hood that's pressed in the bottom. Under that is the bleed hole. Slap at the lever, like out by the end. You don't want fully engage the lever, just a little movement with a some abruptness. A little hard to explain, but kinda slapping at it with your finger tips is the best I can do, letting the brake lever return with a "snap". You should see little air bubbles come out every now and then, sometimes a BIG bubble comes up, which is very satisfying. Your feel will improve a little every time that happens. Obviously cover up everything around in case you get a little over zealous and spill some brake fluid.

I have had to do that for A WHILE on a few bikes to get to the point where the system becomes "bleedable", where I can actually start pushing fluid. Just a few weeks ago I bled a single caliper brake system using ONLY that method. I was setting up a master that was dry to use to push pistons out of old crusty calipers. Granted the line was short, but I never once cracked the bleeder and ended up with a nice firm lever. The trick is to get the master pointed up so the air can come to the "top".

I own a mighty vac, but rarely use it. I know this sounds "hokey" but I can't tell you how many times I've done it.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It's only hokey if it doesn't work.

3. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    My blood ran cold seeing your syringe pic. OMG I just went though that with my RD350LC in the Fall and did not enjoy the showers of brake fluid. The Mityvac saved my day. I do agree with the Captain that once you get to the bleedable point all is well. Until then it can Blow badly. Keep up the good work you on that sweet VF500.

4. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
  5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    As a subtle point, the cost of the tool is basically what you will save by sending it to be serviced...
    I recently spent about $150 on bearing pullers & installers. I have a few sets of wheels that will at some point need doing. Currently I've 2 sets that have been powercoated & so that's going to easily save me the cost of getting the bearings sorted at a shop.

6. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Alright, I'll keep at it. I think I've pumped the lever on and off a literal thousand times over the last few days just every time I walk by. I'm no longer getting bubbles. Got a steady stream of little bubbles for a while then the fun train ended. I used the method you described on a dry system once before after swapping R6 brakes onto my FZR, and I don't remember having this much issue. That's why I'm wondering if I've got an issue with how I rebuilt the master cylinder. When it's dry, it holds pressure when I cover the outlet with my finger. I may hook up a short auxiliary line to it and verify it is actually pumping fluid or if I need to re-re-check my master cylinder rebuild.

One thing that's curious is that I'm not able to reverse fill push fluid into the system at all of the master cylinder is connected. If I loosen the banjo that connects to the master cylinder, I can push fluid all the way through the system from either bleeder on the calipers. This is why I'm suspecting I have an issue with the MC.. I would think you could push all the way through it unless the brake lever was actually pushed. And why I think I'm actually just moving the fluid back and forth--not actually displacing air with fluid.

I should be able to work through this one. It's not holding up any other parts of the project right now, so I can keep thinking on it.

Ohhh---Captain 80s, unrelated, but I reached out to Jamie Daugherty at DMr Performance Suspension. They don't offer the CBR600F2 shock conversion service for the VF500F anymore. I'd seen you recommend it in the past on other forum posts. They make a VF500F specific non-reservoir BD-40 rear monoshock for $625. I'll make a decision on that one vs the YSS for about $360 at a later date.

I've been super close to pulling the trigger on an RD350 several times. Luckily I'm out of room because I think I've got all I can handle right now! I wish my Mighty Vac reservoir wasn't sitting 100 miles away at a friends house. I have the rest of it though--so I can pull vacuum on the bleeders. I'll just need to get a really really long hose to keep from filling the vacuum puller with brake fluid.

That's a clean looking riding position you've got there! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Yep--decided to bite the bullet and order it. I'll have it this weekend. I was hesitant to purchase it because I was so close to not needing it, and I've never run into a situation where I've needed something like it before.

I'm with you on the cost of the tool making up the cost of the servicing though. Just ordered new shoes for my Bandit, so I'll be trying out my Harbor Freight tire changer with the $150 Mojo-Lever and blocks that cost twice what the machine cost. If I'm able to change tires on it, then I know I can recoup the costs. I am terrible with just the spoons.

I didn't buy tires for the VF yet because, well... I can't find a matching pair of anything for the 100/90-16 110/90-18 right now.

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I also have a tyre changer... The things that made a big help to me to change a tyre is:

1. Get it warm - warm rubber is softer & more manageable
    2. Use lube. I bought a tyre wax to use although had great results with just a few drops of washing up liquid in warm water in a hand pump dispenser.
    3. Use WHEEL PROTECTORS - these stop you murdering your rim because you are inept with the tools !!
    4. Make sure you are aware of the rotation... You would be amazed how many 'pros' put tyres on the wrong way around... lol

I have now changed about 14 sets of tyres with it... & saved lots of money.... ha ha ha..

Colddevil likes this.
  8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    BT45 are a good choice for that bike. Reasonably priced and very capable. 100/90-16 and 120/80-18. You can go 120/80-16 on the front if you want (the VF1000 came stock with that tire on the same 2.5" rim and I have one on my 86 VFR, also 2.5 inch rim). Then the 130/80-18 is still just in the acceptable range for that rim width, but you may have to trim the chain a guard a touch.

Oh, and I do all my own tires too... but it's just me, spoons and rim protectors. And beer and music. I'm not paying a shop to have the lowest paid employee fuck up my rims.

I suppose Jamie had to stop when he now offers his own shock. I'm sure it's great, but for a VF500F, I would buy a YSS and spend the other hundreds of dollars on the front end.

Sounds like it's time to rip that master apart and check work.

9. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Bridgestone BT45's in 100/90-16 and 120/80-18 are available for this bike at about $128 per tire. I was wary to look at anything other than the stock recommendation since I don't have the experience to know what will and won't work. Thanks for the size alternatives. That opens it up a bit. I always like the Metzler Lasertec Bias tires that are on it now (front at least... gotta look at that rear), but who knows when those will be in stock again.

Oh I know you do your own tires. Saw those beautiful wheels after your four hours of tooth brush work. They look awesome. Looks like those were Bridgestones you removed prior to your punishment.

My punishment was telling my buddy I'd clean/rebuild his carburetor since it was fresh in my head. He bought the bike from someone with the carburetor all torn apart and parts loosely rolling around in a box wrapped in paper towel. Last night I realized the extent of the damage they had created before they must have just decided to sell the bike as "Non-Running, Needs Carb Work". Pretty sure they were trying to rebuild it with a goddamn hammer. The float bowls were silicon'd shut, one of the fuel ess pipes is mangled (found one in Illinois for $21 on eBay), the starter jet on carb #1 is destroyed, the float pins were all pinched on the ends from someone going at em with a pliers... I'll get it figured out though. Between this and my brakes I'll have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Attached Files:

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    $100.79 100/90-16
    $99.06 120/80-18
    Free shipping

BT45

Americanmototire

11. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Would you recommend the 120/80-18 vs the stock 110/90-18 61H for the rear? Both are available, both are about the same price.

Thanks--this will save me $60.

Edit--I think I'm just going to stick with stock, so I know what the baseline is supposed to be for this bike.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Hell yes. No way in hell I would ever put a 110 back on the rear of a 500. Same sizes I have on this bike. Which needs fresh tires badly.
    [​IMG]

straycat likes this.
  13. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    go for the BT45 - you will not be unhappy... have them on 2 of my NC24's. Work very well. I'd also put the 130 on but thats just me.

14. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    oooook. Well you'll be happy to know that American Moto Tire has very quick customer service, and they would prefer that I "knocked that off" buying tires from Revzilla :Lol::Lol::Lol:

I'll be getting these two delivered shortly.
    $100.79 100/90-16
    $99.06 120/80-18

And dammmnnn that bike looks clean. Those white wheels have to require a lot of attention to keep looking like that!

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I didn't want to open that can of worms. 130 is the limit on a 2.75 rim. You may have to trim the chain guard and it can rub the inner fender if the suspension is compressed in a turn.

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Thanks man.

Americanmototire is awesome. Their prices are usually the best and the customer service is great. My tires are usually here in 2-3 days. Unless they don't have what I want, I don't go anywhere else. And I will even consider alternatives just so I can buy from them.

17. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Tires from American Moto Tire showed up to the office in under 24 hours--that's pretty wild. They mentioned they had a distribution facility Illinois. I wonder if Revzilla partners with the same distribution center... because those showed up too on the same truck along with the 90° Motion Pro tool.

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Holy Shit, that's fast. Sweet! You like the way they look while you were ogling them?

19. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    They look a whole lot better in person than I was expecting based off of pictures. My first thought was dread though, knowing this is probably a 12-pack to get through these tires, haha.

I think Bridgestone needs to hire the photographer/editor that shoots the pictures of Metzler's tires. One of those just jumps out to me while the other... doesn't, lol. But in taking notice of the pictures you and a bunch of other guys on here post, it looks like these Bridgestones are the way to go. Excited to get them on.

I've got a slow leak on my rear wheel. I have to fill it up every month. I don't think it's actually the tire, but the seating of the bead to the rim. The yellow spray bomb paint job probably needs cleaning on the inside. And son of a ... just remembered I forgot to buy valve stems. Wonder if I have any laying around.

1.JPG

20. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cool. I'm not the biggest Bridgestone guy, but those are damn good bias ply tires. I'm about to put some Conti-Go on the 1985 VF1000R. Never tried them, thought why not, they had appropriate sizes. I don't push that bike super hard, so I'm sure they'll be fine. Will be better than the OLD AS SHIT Pirelli Sport Demons currently on there. With the amount of bikes I have, my tires tend to get old before they get worn out.