Matt Tries – 1984 VF500F Overhaul

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Colddevil, Feb 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    those wheels and frame look superb Matt !!!!!

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I actually lost a previously good friend from this site, due to my unbending commitment to not work on his moto. We parted ways and have not spoken since. Sometimes, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

3. ligurt

ligurt New Member

Italy
    I could have the right gadget for you... I have the flywheel cover ready to be machined to fit the gsxr1000 k7 stator and flywheel to speed up revving. The engine behaviour change dramatically. I accept preorder It comes for 290 euros and is a direct fit. You save around 1.2 kilograms of which 1060 grams on rotational mass.... N6015039.JPG N6015038.jpg N6015056.jpg

4. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like it's one of life's lessons learned the hard way. That sucks to hear. I get it (to an extent), but it's also surprising to learn what some people's line in the sand is... or tolerance or expectations of a friendship is. Impossible to try to figure out what is rattling through other people's heads.

Thanks Stray. Looking forward to starting the reassembly. Not looking forward to all the liquid coating prep work!

5. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    A full full rebuild. It will be nice to see the bike go back together. I have a friend who wants me to look at a bike of his and I was "sorry mam, I have too many projects and not enough time". I am paying him to do concrete, but I would rather not touch his bike for a better "bro deal".

On the air vest. An ex-racer friend of mine purchased/started one of the companies that helped bring those vest forward. Safermoto https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/247462/crash-tested-hit-air-vest-review/

They do help, but you don't want to think of it as a "life saver" and make poor choices. He and I were on the path to Isle of Man TT, when I decided to go a different route (WERA National Endurance Racing). He made it 3 years before he had a career ending wreck at the TT. I made it 3 years when I had a sprint race career ender at ButtonWillow. Try not to use your vest. :)

6. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, I'm not trying to use the vest anytime soon. I'm just curious about deploying it while standing safely on the ground since I have a few extra charges! I was also considering one of the Hit Air bags as you mentioned. You don't have to worry about me thinking about it is a life saver--I'm pretty damn conservative and aware of my own mortality. But it also seemed like a good investment just learning how expensive even a seemingly minor injury can be. Sucks to hear about both yours and your friend's injuries. I've been watching highlights of the TT for the past few weeks. Those guys are absolutely, positively out of their minds.

I got a chance to wear the vest a few times the past week. I had a track day at Road America in the rain a week ago, and I had a track riding 201 class yesterday at Blackhawk Farms. The track class yesterday was just fantastic. There were three of us paired up with two instructors for the full day. Funny that they thought enough of me to put me with a goddamn KTM RC8 and Panigale while I'm on my beat up SV650. The instructors (both on SVs) kept having to remind them that if they pinned the throttle on the straightaways there's no chance any of us are even going to catch up to them for half a lap to work on any of the passing drills we were trying to do!

I'm still very slow compared to where I was hoping I'd be by now, but I'm just learning it's going to be a longer process. That 201 class probably shaved 3s off my Blackhawk time--so I'm still at that stage where huge chunks of time are possible since I'm still nowhere near pushing limits yet (nor even really know where they are). I may have also emailed Learning Curves to see if they have any more spots for their September date to go for a race license... we'll see. Probably considered doing that too late for 2022.

slow.JPG

What was I doing here again? Oh yea, let me see if I can work out how to get that fucking blasting media out of these Interceptor wheels so I can finally start putting that thing back together. I keep getting sidetracked with 100 other things, but I hate not being able to ride it right now!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Jim McCulloch likes this.
  7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Envious of you Matt.

The track day & racing thing looks awesome.

Id love to do it.

you look like a real pro in that picture

8. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes...I tried to go down the road race path but life got in the way! Good luck to you and seriously....stay safe!

Colddevil likes this.
  9. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Well I know a guy with a 850lb Harley bagger that had been to the last few days at Blackhawk... his name is Steve (everyone at the track's name is either Steve or Joe). He was there yesterday and he let me know that it was the last day he'd be there on the Harley... because he'll be picking up a Triumph 765 tomorrow because he just got bit by the bug. After about 40 years of riding big ass harleys, hah. So I'd never rule it out--there are some good, easy going classes just to get you the experience.

Alright, more to the point on Interceptors--I'm completely lost on how to get this blasting media out of both wheels. What I've tried:
    • Compressed air shot into each of the 6 cavities using a hose on the end of the compressor line to aim to air
    • Same as above except with a shopvac taped to the opposite wheel bearing end
    • Stuff the wheel full of gorilla tape into all 6 wheel rotor spoke cavity things and roll it around
    • Spray water with a hose into the cavities
    • Submerge the entire wheel in bathtub and splash it all around to try to get the media out
    • Magnet won't work because it's aluminum oxide
    I'm just dumbfounded at how I've managed to remove just about none of it. I haven't even seen a piece of it--it's almost like I'm missing a pocket or something on this wheel. I'm close to filling the thing with foam at this point.

I'm bringing it in to work to have a coworker see if he can come up with something.

Here's a video of what it sounds like:

10. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Almost sounds too heavy to be blast media (?), sounds like a hunk of metal rolling around in there.

is it in the center part of the hub Matt ? is there a blind recess in there that prevents more direct access with a tube and vacuum cleaner ? or is it somehow in behind where the holes are for the rotor mounts ?

have you put a piece of fuel line or small diameter hose into each rotor bolt hole and then attached the shop vac to the fuel line (with your hand so you can regulate suction) ?

11. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    It's in the center part of the hub as far as I can tell--and it falls into the six rotor mount areas. It does sound like a much bigger piece of debris like a hunk of metal rolling around, but we're only ever pulling out little tiny flakes.

What a coworker has tried today (with some success on the rear wheel, I might add) is that he taped one side of the wheel shut, then taped all but a little of the opposite end. Feed the compressor gun through and try to build up pressure until it "pops", and some of the blasting media is being ejected. I think this is actually what's going to end up working. I had to shut off the compressor for a while since an electrician is here wiring some stuff up, but I'll have another go at it later in the day.

upload_2022-6-15_9-26-18.png

I really thought the bathtub was going to work last night, but I got nowhere with that. Sent a picture to my coworker and he just said "at least you'll know the wheel is clean" :Lol:
    upload_2022-6-15_9-27-49.png

Jim McCulloch and Wheezy like this.
  12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Ohhhhh, Powder Coating. You drop off your shit so someone else can do all the work, and then you spend HOURS working to fix all their fuck-ups. Luckily it's expensive.

Sorry man, good luck. Everything does look good from here tho.

13. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Yah, +1 on Capt comments. Although powder coat is what I have used for nearly all my painting needs in the last 3 years. The worst part so far was case cover that they sprayed into the locating pins areas. Other than that, there is some thread chasing every now and then and a little filing from build up.
    Since I still can't paint to save my life this is the path I have chosen.
    The company I use does a lot of moto parts so they are usually pretty good about understanding the key locations to avoid.

Track days. I miss em. My old team mate and I did a California Superbike school for the second time on Thunder Hill west in April. Fn hoot!! We rented their bikes (+$250) BMW S1000rr or what ever the BMW superbike is. I also rented one of those in Australia when I road Philip Island (the best track in the world....lol). Hell o worth it since I don't own a track bike anymore, nor a rideable moto beside the hawk and ST (neither are track worthy). VFR may get a track day, but prob not.
    Thunder Hill.jpg

I am on #14 in the disco race suit from my racing days and my best racing bud on #15. Even in "sport mode" I hit 173 mph on the front straight at Philip Island on one of these bikes. Wouldn't mind owning one really just for track days. zzzzzzzzzzip!

Jim McCulloch likes this.
  14. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Funny how that works, isn't it? Luckily they went above what I thought they'd do for plugging threads and everything else, so hopefully it's not a nightmare re-tapping and cleaning. We'll see though.

That looks friggin awesome man. I've read awesome things about that school and the BMW.

I've never really been on one of those just silly fast bikes. I guess I've never really been on anything that fast for more than a mile or so... Someday I'll get there. Just hasn't been pressing to get a bike that can go 170mph when the speed limit is 65. I imagine it's exhilarating as all hell though opening a 600+ up on a track straightaway though, and it's absolutely something I'd like to experience at some point. I figure all of these people that are going crazy buying expensive as shit bikes and bringing them to the track might start unloading them when this whole bit of insanity in the world starts crashing down... maybe I can pick one up at that point, lol. Until then, I've got plenty to worry about trying to tame 65hp and learning how to make that go fast.

15. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Your all good. Power is fun, but my SV taught me a hell of a lot about riding and racing. Speed is irrelevant when the experience is fun enough. :) I also met a lot of people who believed they had to have the Ducati 1000cc+ to be a race bike. I was beating them on my 650. lol. " you paid $25k and I am catching you on my SV?" lol
    Excessive speed can make the track day nerve wracking and you can go backwards easily on technique because you are in survival mode. I specifically like the BMW because of the power, but more so the tech. Quick up and down shifts (no clutch or rev matching required). Anti wheelie and multiple modes of power delivery. We road in sport mode and the top end was enough to still pull a 3rd gear power wheelie until the tech kicked in. "More power than I need". lol

When I was at Philip Island I was 30 seconds per lap slower than MotoGP and still had a fn blast. I was embarrassed of my time, but the instructor was polite. "this is the worlds fastest track, if you are not power sliding out of every corner and pushing front end on entry you won't come close to a good lap time." Because of my sv riding, I have no idea what sideways on exit even felt like. hahahaha

16. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I still have friends in low places when it comes to SV info if you need anything. :)

17. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    You can get sideways on exit? :p Sounds like an awesome experience in Australia.

So I've given up on being able to remove the little bit of remaining blasting media inside of the wheels. I simply can't get it. No amount of compressed air or vacuum is getting me anywhere. So I decided to try two things that I was certain would have to get some of it out. I soaked 5 rags in air filter oil and pushed them into the wheels and rolled em all around and fired compressed air through just trying to catch some. Nothing. Then I went nuclear and just started filling the wheels with gear oil. I know this sounds stupid, but I was hoping I'd be able to clump some together and then force it all out with a hose. Nothing. I was dumbfounded. Same little bit of noise. There must be some blind recesses that tiny specs of media can get forced into but not out of.

Whatever. I'll slap a Maraca sticker on the side and live with it. My V4 Maraca.
    upload_2022-6-20_9-3-45.png

I went to go press in the new bearings and got mighty confused. Took one strike to seat it. Both sides. I no longer have a tight interference fit. I got the old bearing and tried that one as well just to be certain it wasn't mis-sized new bearings. Nope, same thing. There is no indication of blasting marks on the hub surfaces at all, so it wasn't from material removal. I'm wondering if the baking process actually slightly changed dimensions. Or maybe they were just worn to begin with.

upload_2022-6-20_9-2-8.png

So I call my coworker because I assume the wheels are trashed at this point. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to oversize the hub bore and buy 1mm larger OD bearings with same inner ID and just pretty much thinking I'm screwed. I was informed not to panic. That there is a Loctite product for this specific purpose, and that I should look into the green Loctite bearing retaining compounds.

upload_2022-6-20_9-6-38.png

We'll see how it goes. I'll glue in one side of each front and rear wheel today, and the other side tomorrow.

18. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Im no expert on the bearing fit or machining, but is it possible to pean the inside of the wheel/bearing housing ? that may raise the surface enough to snug up the fit a bit more (?)

19. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Whoa...mystery wheels. this sounds cornfusing. :Popcorn:

20. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    This would be similar to some of the farmer "hacks" I'd been reading for when this happens. Just take a screwdriver or something and go around nicking the inside of the bore. Since that sounds so savage, even to somebody that just poured gear oil into their wheels, I'm going to hold off on that and see if I can get things rolling with the green loctite first.
    Might have to get a Scooby Doo sticker to go with the maracas sticker.