Master Link Rivet - any tips?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rvmiller, Mar 11, 2016.

1. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    A clip master link isn't likely to break on our relatively low powered bikes, or most any other bike either AFATG. They do tend to wear out faster than rivet master links due to manufacturing tolerances of their basic design. A race bike isn't concerned if the master link wears out in 20,000 miles.

I ran clip master links for 30 years with only one, maybe two, chains coming off due to the master link coming out. I lucked out with no damage once, and the damage the second time was fixable with a MIG welder. I changed to a rivet master link in 1986 when I bought a new Yamaha FJ1200, and they recommended a rivet master link. First time I'd ever come across a maker that recommended a rivet master link. I've been using them every since. I just look at it as cheap insurance.

2. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I was just about to ask what is the best/best value chain riveter tool to buy to fit a DID 530 chain but after reading some of the horror stories maybe I should just bring it to a mechanic to get done, I'm like the original poster, good enough at basic mechanics, I can fit the sprockets ok but a bit worried about messing up the master link.

3. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I used one of those stockton tools also. I didn't bother with it taking the chain off, I just used a hacksaw. I used it to rivet and it worked just fine. It was easy and that was the first time I had ever done it. I used clip style master links prior to that.

VFRIRL likes this.
  4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Always thought that FJ style was so cool, the only thing I could afford in 1986 was a ZL600 ; ( wanted a 4 banger)

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I lusted after them when the'85 came out, but the '86 version looked soooooooo good. I was working at the local Yamaha shop and assembled it when it came in. The owner mentioned that "someone", cough, cough, needed to take it for a test ride. Man, that was it, I was sold, and took it home that night. I kept it until just a couple years ago. Funny thing is that I sold an VF700R to buy it. LOL And sold the FJ when I realized I was riding the VFR more than the FJ. "What goes around, comes around".