luggage rack for 91 vfr 750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by CruisnGrrl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    That is the kit that I've tried to purchase...it's not available. Thanks though. I need a newer bike.

2. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

3. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    CruisnGrrl

Monorack wont fit a wingrack without some additional fab work, but the attachement to the bike in the first place should be a bit easier

The universal kit should do it, but I felt that it would always look like a bit of a bodge. There's a second kit available that allows you to link the 2 wingracks together across the back of the bike. I need to do the equivalent on mine

PGAFuture

Will do

I've got a Givi E36 monokey topbox with a pair of Kappa K21 (identical Givi E21s but cheaper) on the sides. I got the K21s to keep the width down - they only end up an inch or two wider than the mirrors.

4. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Pics - I hope they help :smile:

S3700275.jpg S3700268.jpg S3700276.jpg S3700273.jpg S3700272.jpg

5. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

OK, clearer now.

all i have to say is that i've got no idea why givi went backwards like that with the mounting hardware.
    my earlier kit bolts at the rear point bellow the rear side panel, totally out of view.
    and that angled thing that bolts to the handle points looks so bendy.

if you can get the earlier kit, then do!

TG

6. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Structurally I think that your install is probably better than mine. Though I can't get mine to move even if I yank it about. That being said I still think that a brace across the back between the 2 racks is needed to prevent any bending causing the welds to crack

When I fabbed it using the grab handle fixtures I thought that if its good enough on the Gen 4s its good enough for a Gen 3.

Time will tell if the arse end of the bike drops off sometime in the future :wink:

7. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    So, I've found a guy selling a parts bike and I've been able to convince him to sell me his GIVI E460 topcase + His Wing Rack off same year bike as mine for 100$ plus shipping. I am very happy with this deal. The bad... The rack is coming with zero bolts / spacers / washers. I'm going to have to figure all of that out from scratch. Hoping someone can help me with this task. Wondering if the wingrack can be used for only mounting the top case? I don't have side cases, I'm using some soft saddle bags by Dowco that are very good.

8. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

try posting a picture of the stuff when you get it and ill try to help

TG

9. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    DSC_0002.jpg

This is the picture that I've been sent by the seller. I don't have the pieces yet. Thanks for your help.

10. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

looks like you'll need only four shorty 8mm bolt to mount the the bottom spars to the rear subframe + 1 longer 8mm to mount to the left rear footpeg.

i use just the top case during the week to go to work, but obviously you will have to mount the whole shebang, side mounts included.

TG

11. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
  12. turboguzzi

turboguzzi New Member

13. thorrinn123

thorrinn123 New Member

so anyone actually mount the gen4 mounting kit to a gen3? can't seem to find any used gen3 kits out there at all and i have found a gen4 kit but will it be able to work?i have picked up the wingrack2 used already but came with mounting kit from a suzuki bandit.......any help or pics of a gen4 mounting kit attached to a gen3 would be great!!!!

14. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I have obtained the Wing rack 2. I'm in the process of having a bracket fabricated using only some of the parts from the rack itself (I don't want the side bags.) I can send some pics when it's complete. I don't know how soon this will be, I'm still trying to locate the right man for the job.

15. thorrinn123

thorrinn123 New Member

well i want to use initially side bags and maybe later add a top case....cruisngrrl have you been able to take some pics of the gen4 fitting kit on your gen3? if so what did you have to trim off to make it fit?

16. thorrinn123

thorrinn123 New Member

cruisngrrl have you been able to take some pics of the gen4 fitting kit on your gen3? if so what did you have to trim off to make it fit?

17. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

haven't been to my friends place yet. have a gen4 mounting kit on order though

18. thorrinn123

thorrinn123 New Member

yes i ordered my gen4 mounting kit from aviciouscycle.ca it is a cdn company that is pretty reasonable and you don't have to deal with exchange. i picked up a used wingrack2 so needed the mounting kit. if you get a chance to get some pics of how it is mounted that would be great for when we have to install our mounting kit on our bikes. i also have a 91 same as you....

19. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl New Member

So I finally got the Gen 4 mounting kit and givi wing rack2 on and photographed.

Sorry about the low quality pics, I took them with my cell phone.

So here you see how it bolts on under the seat, there was a section about 2 inches square that I had to cut out, it had already cracked and broken out larger on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how both sides mount under the seat. Can not use my grab bars with the rack in place.
    [​IMG]

The bottom part of the mounting kit attaches to the foot peg. You will have to take out the retaining pin that's held in with a cotter pin and insert a bolt.
    [​IMG]

The other side, same deal.
    [​IMG]

side view with the seat off
    [​IMG]

other side with seat off
    [​IMG]

angle view with seat off
    [​IMG]

angle with seat on (yes my seat needs a recovering).
    [​IMG]

angle view with seat and luggage on (yep seat definitely needs recovering).
    [​IMG]

alternate angle view with seat and luggage on (yep seat definitely needs recovering).
    [​IMG]

Rear view with luggage on
    [​IMG]

So there you have it, if you don't mind making a small 2" cut (or may have already broken plastic there) you can use the gen 4 mounting kit.

I also have a y409 mounting kit which is described as "GIVI Y409 SIDECASE & 3 CASE WINGRACK ADAPTER KIT - KAWASAKI EX500 S (88-93)" If anyone needs one shoot me a PM and we can discuss price. It's only the fitting kit, the mounts for the bags are not included and I don't know if it's missing anything (it looks fairly complete).

20. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Nicely done!!