Loose 3rd Gen Intake Rubbers

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hingley, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I have a question for the pack, I have a 1990 VFR750 that I am bringing back to life after many years of sitting
    ( roughly 9000 miles ). I had the carbs totally cleaned and balanced , but since than once warmed up seemed to hang on it's revs for a few seconds if you blurped the throttle and it wanted to stumble at a stop light like it wanted to stall. She just never ran right after the cleaning.
    Anyway I removed the carbs and while they are as clean as possible I found something that surprised the hell out of me, I found that all the lower carb rubber intake clamps ( see picture ) were tightened to the stops but the lower clamps were still all loose on the head intakes and two of the four rubbers I could rotate with my hand.
    I was planning on replacing the intake rubbers any way but I am guessing the old intake rubbers were not 100% sealed and that Intake Rubber Clamps April 2 2022.JPG may have been creating an air leak when she was warmed up and that is causing the hanging revs
    Have others found the intake rubber clamps not able to clamp tight enough to seal the intake rubbers?

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Remove the collars. Common issue.

Just don't then overtighten them, it's the reason the collars are there. When everything is brand new, they work.

Even if you get new boots, ditch the collars. They're bullshit.