Looking for some PA/MD area VFR freaks

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by 00vfr, Oct 6, 2007.

1. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I was only out for about an hour or two. The conditions weren't exactly good so I cut it short. The road salt, cinders and melting snow only mess up your bike in more ways than one. I still have the Michelin Pilots on my bike too, horrible in these conditions! They never get any heat in them.

I bought a 1000RR a few years ago from Montgomeryville. They were very easy to deal with. Did you look at used Ninja's? They are usually readily available and really cheap!

It only started sleating sometime after 9:00 pm last night. The plows just came through for the first time about 8:30 am this morning. I haven't checked the forecast yet but I'm sure it isn't pretty.

2. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Yea, I looked around a bit, I have found some used ones in the 1800 to 2200 range and the lower priced ones were 2 to 3 years old with a lot of miles on them. This is a brand new one for 2400, I don't think I can beat that. To me the extra $$$ are worth the piece of mind of getting a new and not abused bike. I bought my VFR used, but it only had 1005 miles on it and was pristine. So I think this is a good deal. The dealers cost on this is supposedly 2800 and I know they are trying to get rid of them (they have 2) so they can get the new 2008s in which are completely different.

Well it looks like I'm going to be commuting by bike a bit this week. My son totaled his Prelude last week and he still doesn't have a new car. He'll be using my wifes MDX and I'll need to leave the wife with my M45. I'm glad I have that heated clothing now.

3. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Does anyone have any interest in riding on Saturday if teh weather holds off? I need to pick up that Ninja, but I plan to do it earlier in the day and get it into my neighbors garage. I think I would be able to meet you guys around 1pm. Any interest?

4. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been eyeing up the weekend also. I wish Sunday has less precipitation planned. Supposed to be a high of 51 that day which would feel like 75 to us.

As far as Saturday I think I can swing that. I have a 1/2 day on Friday so I plan to get a bunch of Christmas stuff done and out of the way.

5. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Two4,

Yes I agree Sunday looks better temp wise, but not so good on the precipitation side. I"m doing the same thing on Friday, afternoon off, to catch up on whats left from shopping chores. I'll give you a call Saturday morning to synch up where we will meet. If I can get that Ninja early or pick it up on Friday night, I should be able to head out earlier on Saturday. Can you head out earlier if I can make that happen?

6. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Two4,

Yes I agree Sunday looks better temp wise, but not so good on the precipitation side. I"m doing the same thing on Friday, afternoon off, to catch up on whats left from shopping chores. I'll give you a call Saturday morning to synch up where we will meet. If I can get that Ninja early or pick it up on Friday night, I should be able to head out earlier on Saturday. Can you head out earlier if I can make that happen?

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't see why not. Just give me a buzz and we'll go from there.

8. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Hey guys anyone else intersted in going with Two4one and me this Saturday. We will probably be going out to meet around 10am - 11am.

Two4one, I think I'm going to plan a good chunk of the day for riding. I found out that Montgomeryville is open on Sunday and Monday this week due to Christmas so I think I'm going to pick up the Ninja for the wife on one of those days instead. It keeps me from having to keep her from finding the bike all weekend.

Guys let us know if any of you are interested in heading out on Saturday. We will probably be heading up to the Berks County area.

9. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Bored here at work so I figured I'd revive this thread :smile:

Since I'm pretty close to all of you, it would be pretty cool to get some rides together. I'm in Norristown so I've ridden most of the areas everyone has mentioned.

So nice rides I've hit this year:

- Misc back roads up thru Montgomeryville to Montgomeryville Cycle, up to Quakertown, down thru Pottstown into Chester County, wrap back up thru Devon to Valley Forge/King-of-Prussia.

- Misc back roads up along the 422 corridor, up past Reading to towards Hamburg across to 183, then up past Pine Grove to Tower City/Rausch Creek, wandered back roads thru Chester County

- Back roads thru Gladwyn/Lower Main Line, to Delaware County, down towards West Chester then to Rt 1 to Chads Ford - Here is where I think someone mentioned an area people call "The Loop", it's like a 26 mile loop from Chadds Ford, down thru Delaware and back, lots and lots of twistie back roads. There is a Wawa that everyone calls the Wooden Wawa (its supposed to be one of the oldest stores, still has wood siding and roof), big sport bike gathering place.

- Up thru Bucks County - around to New Hope (careful here as New Hope LEO's aggressively enforce sound levels on Motorcycles), back across to Quakertown to Montgomerville down 202 to Norristown.

Come spring I hope to do the First Sunday rides in Ephrata with a few buddies as well as some ride my local dealer runs up thru Jim Thorpe area.

Happy Riding to All

10. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    Hey guys, Im gettin this thing done, slowly but surely. Ill be ready for March/April. All I need is the new chain and F sprocket. soon as I have the bread Im gonna get it done. I'm in. Long rides preferred. MD, DE, PA, NJ. No, Im not a squid, and yes I can ride!

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    The Loop is a nice ride!

Hopefully some of us vifferati can meet their this year. And you are right that Wawa was packed with bikes!

BZ

12. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    that would be cool.
    the hardest part would be going over the bridge if'n it's windy.

If "the loop" includes 82, then it'll be fun. However, it doesn't have those switchbacks like on 125 near Shamokin.

13. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

John,

I'm sure I've ridden many of the roads you listed in your post. I haven't had the VFR down in Delaware yet, but I have drivin many of those roads in my cars. I used to live in the Jennersville area of southern chester county so I know many of those roads well. Fun driving and I can't wait for the weather to break to head down there on the VFR. I'm game. Hey, is that Wooden Wawa on Rt 1 in Chadds Ford? That one is all wood as well, but I'm not sure its' the one your are talking about. I've been down to that location on my VFR riding south on Creek Road along the Brandwine from West Chester to RT1. Rt 82 in Pa in that area is awesome as well as it goes into Delaware so I"m guessing taht must be on this 26 mile "Loop" as well.

Seems like we have enough VFR riders here to start a South Eastern Pa Riding Club of some sort.

14. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a couple URL's late last year in hopes of putting out a site with rides and other info. I need to get off my butt and get started on it for we Viffer riders.

I've worked on a comp but that's as far as I've gotten. I could continually update the info so everyone knows what's going on. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this comp. Probably need to scale it down for a more realistic version in terms of maintenance and content.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  15. rodon

rodon New Member

I'm in northern Delaware and have ridden lots of roads in the SE PA area, including the ones you mention. I live about 10 minutes from Kennett Square.
    I like 841 to 82 up to Coatesville, continuing on 82 to 345 up to Birdsboro.
    I'e been taking some time this winter to plot out some itineraries for the new GPS that Santa left me. One of them crosses back and forth across the PA Turnpike and eventually winds down to Gettysburg. Lots of great roads out that way...

I think there's another VFR rider living very near me - I got jumped a couple of months ago while on my way home from Kennett, on Yorklyn Road (82). Was that you maybe, Bubba? I was on my red '04, other bike was a red 5th gen (I think) that pulled up even and then took off. He turned right on Old Wilmington and I turned left.

I'm all for meeting up when the weather gets a little nicer.

Rod

16. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    I commute on 82 into Kennett through the spring, summer, and fall.

the best part of the day is making that left turn off 52 just past Greenville.
    no traffic, no Amish manure. priceless.

this sounds great.

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Rod,

Nope, it wasn't this scag.

I have a 4th gen and I have not been up in your neck of the woods for awhile. I've seen a few VFR's down my way too and wondered who it might be???

I think a meet is a great idea too!

BZ

18. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Hmm, there is a Hooters in Concordville (Rt 1 and Rt 202) we could meet at some time :smile:

Another good (kind of) place to ride is down in Jersey. I grew up down the shore (near Atlantic City) and riding the Pine Barrens and south to Cape May isn't too bad.

Did a ride down to my brothers house just outside Atlantic City this summer, made it from my driveway to his garage in 50 minutes, total trip miles of 85. Almost the entire route is Rt 76 (Schuykill Expressway) and Atlantic City Expressway. Shadowed a little ricer car the whole way, pretty fun trip down, but then on the way back it took me close to 3 hours following all the cagers back from the weekend at the shore :mad:

19. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you guys been on the twisties up in Schuylkill County yet? You can't beat those roads locally for tight curves.

We've got to set up some dates sometime soon.

20. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

Ok fellas,
    I decided to take a "winter break". My plan is to head down to the coast of North Carolina. I plan on leaving Friday morning.If anyone is up for riding along just let me know.It's staying in the 60-70 degree range down there and there is a hotel on the water for 50 bucks a night. I got the sudden urge after changing oil and spark plugs today,and I know she is ready to ride too.
    It's about 500 miles and doable in about 6-7 hours depending.