Looking for some PA/MD area VFR freaks

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by 00vfr, Oct 6, 2007.

1. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Two4one,

OK, I will be coming up from the Schwenksville/Skippack area. I'll probably just head up 73 or some of the back roads to get up there. I could go up and explore early and you could join me somewhere around 10am or 11am even if you'd like. I'm cool either way, even if we only get to ride together for an hour or two it will give us a chance to get officially introduced and such which I think would be cool. My family thing is up in the Levittown area and I will either head home and grab the car for that or just ride the bike right up there so we could ride up to 2pm, 2:30pm. I have no problem getting there at 3 or 3:30pm either. My wife is fine with that.

The weather still seems to be holding out for Sunday. It looks like it will be the warmest day in the next few.

Where would you like to meet? I can send you my cell phone number in a PM or email as well once we pick a place.

Tom

2. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm liking the idea of riding with you guys, just not riding up and back on Sunday. I'll pass and try next time, or the time after ;-)

3. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Nozzle and Eddie Cap,

Hey guys any time you want to ride on a weekend, just let me know through this thread. I get the emails right away and I pretty much find a time to ride most weekends.

4. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

NOzzle, just so you know I work in King of Prussia so I ride through Valley Forge several times a week. I even rode yesterday and went home in that light snow, I was a little worried when it started coming down. I thought it would hold off till I got out of work and home, but it started early and I unfortunately got out of work late.

So, my point is taht I'm cool with riding some mid-week time if you want to as well. This winter or even next year.

5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    My son's wrestling and this pretty much goones me until Feb as I enjoy watching... so my issue is time, not the cold. Christmas will likely be spent at the outlaws, so that shoots that. We'll see. thanks for the note. - Paul

6. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like we're creating a little VIF group here! Excellent!

That sounds like a plan Red. I'm sure you've been to Macungie by now? Blackman's Cycle Center? I could meet you out that way somewhere and give you a little tour of Berks County. Macungie is only 22 miles away from you according to Google. Click here.

One problem, we're getting snow right now and although the accumulation won't amount to anything, they are cindering the crap out of the roads! I hope things are clear by the weekend.

7. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

Welp after looking at this snow piling up on my street,( I live off the beaten path)This weekend is out.I have to go to a family Christmas party Saturday and I just realized my tags just expired.UGGGGHHH!!!! Maybe next weekend.

8. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Well the weather isn't looking like it might cooperate either since they are calling for rain/snow showers for Sunday. In fact all next week looks crappy but it does look like we may get a bit of rain which could help clear the roads for the following weekend. If the weather holds off for this weekend, Blackmans sounds like a great place to meet. Weather permitting, what time do you think you can get there? I'll PM my cell and other particulars to you just in case we get lucky with the weather.

9. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

I'm hoping for a good weather clearing soon like everyone else.Where is Blackmans cycle at?

10. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Blackman's is on Buckeye Rd. not to far from the intersection of 29 and Buckeye in Emmaus, Pa.

www.blackmanscycle.com

Heading out for some fun up there now. Will be riding till 6 if you are out and see a red VFR flying around.

11. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

OK guys, I'm planning to ride on Friday afternoon and more than likely early Saturday afternoon (after it warms up a little) this coming weekend. Anyone up to meeting up at say Blackmans on Friday afternoon around 3pm or perhaps Saturday around 1pm? Friday looks warmer and nicer than Saturday, but both days are suppose to be sunny and in the 30s.

12. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Pavfrredrider and all; Sorry I did not respond earlier to everyone, but unfortunatly
    we had a death in our immediate family(my dad) so that took the wind right out of my sails for riding. I guess my dad is responsible for my crazyness with cars and motorcycles,he introduced me to dirt track racing many years ago,who knows, I might have been tuning a piano and not my vfr if not for him. Anyway It would be nice to ride with a group of local VFR dudes. eddie

13. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Eddie, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Whenever you are ready to ride, please just let me know. At least you know whenever you climb on that bike you have some great memories to recall of your father getting you going in our sport.

Take care.

Tom

14. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Real sorry to hear about your Dad. That's gotta' be really tough. Hang in there and lean on us for a mind-clearing ride when needed.

Speaking of, this weather is really starting to piss me off! Not sure about your forecast Red but up my way the weekend calls for wintry stuff again. I'm jonesing to get out on the VIF. Maybe I'll polish my wheels this weekend to keep me occupied??? Hmmm....

15. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    our thoughts are with you at this time.

the weather's supposed to break this weekend.
    if you guys are setting up something, please keep me in mind.
    I'm not crazy, but I'd swear that the bike's anxiety of idleness is rubbing off on me.

16. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Hey guys, the weather is not looking so bad for this afternoon or tomorrow so I'm planning to ride. I"m going to head out here in about 1pm or so for a 2 hour ride today up near Blackman's in Berks county. I can meet someone up there if you are interested.

I do plan to ride tomorrow if the weather holds up, although I woudl be going out around 1pm for about 2 hours. I could meet at Blackmans again if you are interested.

Let me know via reply to this thread. I get emailed right away on my phone. Take care and have a great weekend if I don't hear from you guys.

17. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Well, I'm back and I had a great ride, not super fast since the roads were still a little damp but I road all the way up to Pikeville on some backroads. It was really damp on a few roads between 100 and Pikeville going over the hills back there. Evidently, they got a lot more snow and ICE yesterday then we did down here in Skippack. Either way I had a great time. The VFR got quite dirty so I washed her when I got home.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to ride tomorrow around noon for about 2 to 3 hours as well. The weather channel is calling for partly sunny with a high of 32. It might be a bit brisk but I need to get out there since I didnt' get to ride much at all this week with the weather and being out of town.

Let me know if any of you want to ride?

18. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

I would join you guys but I hit some road salt and laid her down.I saw it coming so she isnt too bad just scraped up on the tail mostly.Guess I have more work to do.

19. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I might be getting out a little later today. I've got some running around to do. I spent two days on the couch this week sick so I have no food or drinks in the house.

Praying for a change in the forecast.......

20. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

00VFR,

Sorry about you laying down your VFR. There is a lot of road salt out there and riding with it so close to freezing you need to be careful about the roads which are still wet. I managed to slide the VFR a couple of times yesterday and today out there. Once on salt going around a corner. There was salt in the middle of my lane and I was riding on the left side of the lane on a left hander and managed to drift a bit into the salt. Luckily I was just coming off the corner and there was a shoulder so I just sat the bike up and road onto the shoulder and away. The other time was careless of me. I had just come down a road which was pretty wet came to a stop light and when it turned green I made a right and twisted the throttle way to much for having a wet tire. Did a bit of squirming and recovered it and kept going. Cold tires, wet roads and road salt mean that we all have to be extra careful out there.

two4one,

how was your ride today. I looked up where you were going after I got your call and it was pretty much impossible for me to get up there before dark. Plus I was getting the read from the weather.com that it was snowing up that way. Did you hit any snow during your ride?

I had a good ride today. Got out early when it was still Sunny went over to Montgomeryville Cycle Center and got my son and wife gift certificates for Christmas and I also put a deposit down on her new toy. A 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250. They has a great price on it and she wants her own bike and the Ninja seems light enough for her to learn on. She's going to take the MSF course in the spring and then I hope to be taking some rides with her after that.

Well after I left Montgomeryville, I motored up Allentown road and some other back roads up to around Emmaus but then the roads started looking more wet due to snow melt up there, so I turned south back towards home through Green Lane where we didn't have any snow on the ground that was still melting so the roads were dry and a lot safer. I road about 2 hours total I guess. It was brisk out there but my electric gear kept me nice and comfortable.

Tomorrow looks like crap, althought this week doesn't look that bad. Looks like Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday may be commuting days to work if the forecast holds up.