Looking for Ohio viffer riders that can actually ride.

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by mello dude, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lifttruck

Lifttruck New Member

United States
    Cool! I like learning from the fast guys! I see you're not trying to make any friends with your first post. But that's ok! :smile: Just one question......which particular post in this thread were you responding to? :unsure: There have been so many differing debates in this thread that it would be helpful if you include a quote referring to whom you are responding.

2. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

It was directed towards the guy with the hairiest butt!:rolleyes: Makes for a good mop!

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd be willing to bet you never make any of the future VFR Ohio rides, most fast guys I've rode with don't talk smack about how fast they ride, and if your really that fast why would you need a CBR too bring to this so called ass whooping? If your failing to keep up with sportbikes in the twisty's I can assure you it's not the VFR's fault :suspicious:

4. rueben68

rueben68 New Member

don't take offence

Mello Dude made a comment on two guys that went riding with him and I guess he didnt like the way they rode and he just :bs: all over them and I didnt think that was right.
    I love my VFR but you guys have to admit that It is not the fastest bike in the world or the most stable so in cases of extreme riding I just like to bring out the CBR . If some of you guys took offense to what I said well that's just to bad some of you just have to remember that you were beginners too at one point and maybe you should give new riders a break.

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    wow this an old thread ----
    Admittedly I had a bit of a KC moment, but at the time I was concerned for thier safety, while they thought they were being safe riders, I tryed to explain to them they were accidents waiting to happen. And they were. 2 weeks later one of them totaled his bike. I wasnt there, I had already decided not to ride with them anymore.

MD

6. eightvalve

eightvalve New Member

I'm near Akron. Pretty dedicated rider since its 32degrees out and I just got home at 11:30pm! It'll be my daily till it snows. PM me for my e-mail if anyone is getting a NE OH riders group together.

7. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    mello, I'm up in cleveland and would love to hook up and ride Next riding season. It's just to damn cold out there now. Had my last ride on Thursday. So if still interested in the spring lets hook something up.

8. eightvalve

eightvalve New Member

C'mon its not THAT cold! I'm slowly giving up the ghost when it comes to riding this season. I've got my SS in my computer room, my 996 in the guest bedroom, the 900RR spead to all four points of the compass thru out the house and garage, and the VFR will go behind the Christmas tree. I keep trying to convince the wife that they can be considered "modern art" but she doesn't buy it. I'm going to ride till I can't bare it anymore.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I have a cobbled up VFRworld/VFRD ohio email list, hope to rejuvenate everybody come spring.

Great wife!

MD

10. scramblerone

scramblerone New Member

Anyone else reading this thing? Mello dude.. drop me an Email if your around, Im in Detroit, many roads to ride from here to there! Gen 6

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Dunno about Detroit - It gets pretty flat headed North, SE ohio is where its at.

Holy old thread again! Admittedly I had a good laugh at re-reading this thing.

I'm wanting to get a multiday ride in at the last week in June, and looking for a few riders for mbe Ohio to WV to Virginia to KY to Ohio style loop. Um - I currently have a shoulder issue so I'm not in full form. Stay in cheezy hotels, eat road food and kill a couple brews in the eves. In a group I generally go by the "PACE" by Nick Ienatsch. PM if interested.

12. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck with the ride. My slow butt won't be on this one, too rusty still.

But I can certainly sympathize with the shoulder thing. My left has been dislocated twice (first - football, second - surfing accident [true story]). I avoided surgery (never met ANYONE that's had surgery that would recommend it!) and just did some weightlifting. Gradually got it built up to the point it's not an issue anymore. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

David (Central Ohio)

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Thanks man, - a few months ago I was thinking that surgery was a must, but now I'm not so sure. I keep working it and seem to be getting back more range of motion, so it seems to be improving. I cant afford a surgery bill for the moment anyhoo.

MD

14. BASFjon

BASFjon New Member

I agree...but I so envy you for living where you do!! Wish I was down there, I live for taking vacations down there.

15. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Hey, MD. Joined here a few yrs. ago and finally started posting here tonight.

Gotta say I'm surprised by the flack you got in this thread last Sept. I can see the posters' points, but jeez. It's not like you're out to set records. You just want to ride quick but safely, lean the bike and enjoy the curves. I'm with you on this 100%.

Hoping to do one more good day in the twisties down in SE Ohio this year, probably the wkend of 10/17, if you're available and up for it.

TimRav (aka TimC)

16. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, this is a Zombie thread; it just never dies...

Like there are ANY good riders or drivers in Ohio, paaaLEEEEEzzze... :wink:

If there are, they must not be FROM Ohio... That state has the worst drivers in the Union, BAR NONE! And that's given the fact that I have a fair distaste for most of the south. But, I'd be happier riding in any state than Ohio!

When my daughter was at VMI, I had to drive diagonal the long way thru that stinking state, and OMFG! When I returned the first time, and was ranting at work, one of my staff members actually was from Ohio, and tried to explain that they are ACTUALLY TAUGHT to drive that way! Even if that's so, you have got to me $hitting me!?!?

Oh well, and now I'm hoping to move to Cinci for work... Glutton for punishment, fate, karma or something.

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    That's what I like about this site. Intelligent civil discussions. RR you have some very valid points. I agree with you. Also MD & RW I agree with your points of skill and whether you have it or not abilities. Both sides valid.

One thing that has not been mentioned, directly at least, is the mental attitude of total infallibility, IE. "I have total control over my bike and riding and I'm great on a bike". When a person thinks they are infallible because they are better than the bike, it's time to stop riding cause your going to get hurt or killed. The bikes now-a-days are far superior to even the race bikes we built years ago. They make some novice riders think they can handle anything. You can get away with stunts and racing on the streets for only so long. Then the consequences can be tragic. I, like MD will be the first to back off if things don't feel/look right. I also have come up with my on rules for back road flights. The main one is never go 100% on the street. Most of my faster riding is done around 80% of my skills. Yet there are times when conditions are right I'll push in to the 90% area. Someone had a topic with riding the pace by Nick Ientash(sp). Doing riding like that fills my hunger. It's fast, thrilling and safe in the aspect that your going by a set of rules that points to being safe by taking out some of the dumbass things that riders do when they get carried away.

It's not totally infallible, then again I don't know anything that is. It just eliminates some of the extreme probabilities of crashing if one doesn't cross that line. Most of all a rider has to know their limits and stay in that confine of skill until they acquire more. But most of all the skill I have the best of it may be "luck". Yes I may have done the right things at the right time to save my:bootyshake: and I was lucky I didn't go down. This luck also works when riding by the legal laws of the road. The thing is though, there is no way to improve on your luck. It just happens. So when I feel like barnstorming the back roads I always have to ask myself "do you feel lucky punk, well do ya". before pushing myself for the thrill of it all.

Now back to topic. It's the end of Sept and Ohio has about a month left of good riding. Any of you Ohio guys/gals or anybody close want to get together for an all day Sat or Sun ride in and around Athens/Zainsville or the alike area. We could meet around New Philly/Cambridge area in the morning like 9-11 or so and ride from there?

18. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

I'd like to meet a few people - I can do for a Sunday ride but Saturdays are too chaotic with kid stuff for me. I haven't gotten to do much riding outside commuting this year, so expect me to be slow.

19. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Yeah, well at least we have a few curves in our state! :wink:

Just kidding. If you do move to Cincy, I bet you'll be fairly close to some great roads in KY. :smile:
    I'm hoping to org and lead a SE Ohio ride the weekend of 10/17, probably on that Sat. Could be Sun. instead depending on weather. I'll start a thread in the 'Central' section of the forum in the next week or so.

20. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Holy Zombie thread indeed! :eek:

Hey! I'm from Ohio - so we cant be all bad...lol

If you make it to Cincy, I would be happy to hook up. There are a lot of great roads east of Cincy ---

MD