looking for ohio riders

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by aftershock, May 16, 2008.

1. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    Warmer weather is getting closer. Time to finish up the mods and get the bikes back together...

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
  3. Bunsel

Bunsel New Member

OK, I'll Play too!

Signing in from the northwest corner of the state, Archbold to be exact. Not much up here except for straight country rides squared out to the mile.

Most of my riding time is heading to the opposite corner of the state. The roads mentioned in this thread are all very familiar to me.

Keep me informed of upcoming events or rides.

Bret

4. GOVFR

GOVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Count me in, Mello Dude. Columbus 5th Gen rider. Weather is warming. Time to Ride!!

5. hondajt

hondajt New Member

edit, it's gonna be chilly tonight, I will be inside.

6. hondajt

hondajt New Member

There is a ride forming for today on ohio-riders.com. If your not a member I can share the info:

Cincinnati Meet:

"We will be at the shell on the AA highway off 275 at 11-12am to meet for the ride! EVERYONE is invited!"

More specifically:
    "From dayton take 75 or 71 south and get on to 471 south till it hits 275 and go east/south and once on 275 AA is the next exit. The only shell in the first miles of the AA off 275 going east."

OR:
    Columbus Meet:

meet at Iron Pony at 10:45am and from there they are riding to Mcdonalds: Click me for MAP at 11:30.

So you can meet at 10:45 at iron pony or wait, and go to that mcdonalds, at 11:30.

I will be riding with the Columbus group, and meeting them at Mcdonalds.

7. Spectre

Spectre New Member

The absolute best stretch of Rt. 78 (~28 miles in length) lies between Glouster and Malta, and this portion of Rt. 78 is, in my opinion, more scenic and enjoyable when followed northeast from Glouster to Malta.

Roughly midway into the ride on 78 from Glouster to Malta (heading northeast), you will, if you're paying attention, see a particular spot high along a ridge line that's a very popular wayside attraction among local motorcyclists for stopping and taking pictures of a beautiful valley that will be off to your left. This location is actually on private property, but considerate and peaceful motorcyclists often gather there to stretch their legs and take in the scenery. During the peak of spring and fall in particular, you'll often find many motorcyclists congregating in this area on good weather weekends, mostly Harley's. (Rural Ohio, much like the Midwest in general, tends to be 'Harley Country', and therefore when riding Rt. 78 in this region during weekends, it's fairly common to find yourself behind large groups of Harley's unless you're out there early in the morning.:cool:)

If you're on Rt. 78 heading east from Malta, and you feel up for a little challenge, continue following Rt. 78 east until you're almost to the Ohio River, and then take the highly rural, narrow, and out-of-the-way Rt. 536 south, which runs only between 78 to the north, and Rt. 7 to the south, ending 12 miles later at the river.

Rt. 536 has been likened to Ohio's closest cousin to the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap, with the notable exception that 536 is typically deserted, and any time I've rode 536 I've pretty much had the road to myself, and the road has been in excellent condition and well maintained when I've visited it. Harley's are a rare sighting on 536, and even sport bikes are often uncommonly seen on this road because it's so off the beaten path. From Rt. 536 at the Ohio river, you can hook up with either Rt. 255 or 800, both of which will take you northwest back into SE Ohio.

Rt. 26, which you can hook up with from Rt. 78 at Woodsfield, and then follow south through Wayne National Forrest to Marietta, is very scenic and challenging, but beware, the road conditions over stretches of it may be rough, poorly maintained, and very gravelly.

Other noteworthy roads in eastern Ohio that you don't wanna miss would include Rt. 164 and Rt. 9, which happen to intersect at Kilgore, OH. Rt. 9 south ends at Armstrong Mills.

Anyone who might think that Ohio doesn't have some of the best motorcycling roads in the nation is uniformed. It does, you just have to know where to look and go. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Barring all catastrophe, I'll be picking up my 2002 this Sat. So I'd be up for a ride... remember NEWBIES up front.... :D