Looking for a Dual Sport, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by mlap5150, Sep 24, 2014.

1. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, not VFR related but posting anyway in case there are any dual sport riders on here.

I'm looking for a mid range dual sport as my next bike. Something in the 400-450cc range since the goal is to have something light enough for the trails but fast enough for occasional highway riding (i.e engine can't be screaming at 70 mph). Also needs to be durable, I don't want to rebuild the engine every year which is why KTM is not on my list lol. My plan is to start taking it up north next summer and hit the trails and backroads and basically just tear it up in northern MI. I realize there are very few of the 400/450s I can buy brand new so my watch list right now consists of older bikes:

Honda XR400R
    Kawasaki KLX400SM
    Suzuki DRZ400
    Yamaha XT350 or WR400/426/450 (are any of the WRs even street legal out of the box?)

Was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions/advice as to which out of these will be the best for what I want. I do plan to mod at some point, was thinking exhaust + rejet carbs + taller gearing for better road use if I have to.

Thanks

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    There is no perfect DS for all terrance :sad:
    If you like something reliable and fun in the trails, comfy on short ride on freeway I would get the CRF250L
    DRZ400 is a good bike but I don't like the look of it. After few years of searching I give up and get me a GS for long distance trip
    I am in the process of picking up a Yamie XT225 just for fun and easy handle on some of the Gnarly trails
    I will try the XT for now and will switch to CRF250L
    Good luck with your search and hope you will be happy :thumb:

3. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Long. I did look at the CRF250L and it looks like a fun dual sport and good for trails, but idk if it will cut it for those (potentially) extended 70 mph jaunts. That's why I'm looking into its older brother the XR400.

Hope the XT225 works out for you, love that bike. I got my endorsement on one and spent a good amount of time up north on the trails with it. It'll always hold a spot in my heart. I'd find another one myself except it's screaming above 55 and tops out around 75. Was always a blast on the trails though.

4. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

I have a friend who swears by the KLR. His is all decked out with cases and other crazy non-sense and has been all over North and South America with the stickers to prove it. He also claims to have never had any major mechanical failures or been left stranded. Just my $.02.

5. Scubalong

United States
    KLR is a great bike for the $$$
    It is heavy though, if you can handle the weight any bike will work.
    I am vertical chalenge so finding a DS bike to fit me is hard. Small bike will have so much fun on the trails and less effort to pick it up :wink:

6. Scubalong

United States
    Cannot go wrong with the XR400 :thumb: Honda reliability, bullet proof....!
    FYI my buddy rode the CRF250L all over the country :sad: He switch the sprocket for freeway ride. He said the bike do 70 MPH all day long.

7. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting...I didn't think the 250 would be capable of that. Then again it does have a 6 speed trans as opposed to the 5 speeds all the 400s seem to have. I'll have to consider it...

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    My son has a DRZ 400. Its set up as a super moto but I know a lot of guys that run them off road with knobbies. It is pretty bullet proof.