LED Turn Signal Mirrors Problem

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by frank24vfr, Nov 30, 2010.

1. frank24vfr

frank24vfr New Member

Canada
    I changed the mirrors on my bike with led turn signal mirrors and love the look. I connected them to the front turn signal lights \ marker lights and like how they are always on but flash when the turn signal is activated. The problem is when one flashes the other slightly flashes oppositly. While one side is flashing the other side gets brighter when the flashing side goes off. This is very noticable at night, you can actualy notice it on the the front turn signal bulbs but it is much more noticeble with led. Trying to solve this problem i bought a custom dynamics led flasher, the first surprised was when i disnonected the stock flasher relay the lights still flash (WTF) so i connect the new flasher replay wich has the same connecter and is plug and play and its still the same

so now i need help, plz help

2. frank24vfr

frank24vfr New Member

Canada
    Here is a pic of how the mirrors look... I took a video of the flashing problem with my phone but dont have a clue how i can post that on here

Attached Files:

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Are those the lights found on ebay? I need to fix the situation i have going on my bike, and this may do it.

As far as the video goes, create a photobucket account, upload the video there, and post a link here.

As far as the problem goes, I can only make a suggestion. Maybe a resistor needs to be added some where in there. LED draw far less power than standard bulbs and this is causing the issue? Hopefully someone with more electronics experience can shed some light on this.

4. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I'd bet on Tightwad for a solution.

5. frank24vfr

frank24vfr New Member

Canada
    I dont think a resistor will do anything because you can notice it if you look really closely at the front signals bulbs flashing.

How could i find this Tightwad vfr genius?

as a last last last resort ill conect them to the rear signals but that will eliminate them being alway on as marker lights until they flash :(

im working on a video to come hopefully next week

6. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Here => Wire My Bike

7. Iceman_JD

Iceman_JD New Member

Map
    I did a mod to my rc51 that uses Led eyebrow lights in the headlights that are on all the time and are wired to blink when activated.

Since three wires are involved, one ground, one turn signal, one running light, and only two wires to the mirror lights, you have to isolate the wire from the running light from the turn signal when the turn signal is activated by adding a diode to prevent a voltage back-feed. This might be the problem your describing, I'm still looking for the wiring diagram I used and will post if found.

Honda isolates the running light circuit from the turn signal circuit when the turn signal switch is on. So when you power on the left or right mirror... the power is back-feeding to the other signal/mirror.

You might try to adding the diode to each of the signal power wires (left and right) and see if that helps. I might have some extra diodes I used if you need some.

8. Iceman_JD

Iceman_JD New Member

Map
    Found the link to the wiring diagram: you'll need four diodes.

http://www.trademarkmotorsports.com/RC51/Images/Eyebrow-schematic.jpg

9. frank24vfr

frank24vfr New Member

Canada
    I tried the diodes today and it dident help anything. Again WTF because it makes sence that the flasher current would be back feeding into the running light circuit. The only diference with the diagram using 4 diodes is that the vfr's front signal\running lights only use 2 wires. any any help would be appreciated

here is a link to a video of the problem

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/francois2424/

10. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Hey Frank,how did this turn out? Did you figure out this problem yet?

If not I think I may just have found something for you. Thurn Motorsport in Germany sells some very specialized parts for Honda VFR Intercepters. They sell LED turn signal mirrors like the ones you installed on your bike on their website and recommend that you also install a special flasher relay to go along with them. The part number on Thurn Motorsport's website for that flasher relay is 18-208030. Listed cost is 19 Euros,at current exchange rates that's approximately $25.00 US Dollars,plus shipping.

One of those turn signal relays is currently listed in Thurn Motorsport's private store on Ebay. The part description text is in German. I copied and pasted that text and had it translated,this is what it says.

"NEW PART Electronic turn signal relay ideally in use of LED turn signals 3 pole,independent of load,to the stabilization of the turn signal frequency,works within a range of 1-100 Watt without additional of resistances,simply against the original relay out-dip. Socket fits without change! For Honda RC46 1998-2001,VFR800 VTEC 2002-2010. Ideally for use of LED turn signals."

I dunno Frank,it sounds like that turn signal relay might just be what you're looking for.
    Might wanna shoot them an Email and explain the problem you're having with your LED turn signal mirrors. Gerhard and the boys might be able to give you a hand solving your problem. Here's the link to Thurn Motorsport's website>>>>www.thurn-motorsport.de
    The Email info is on their Kontakt page. Good Luck.

Post up when you figure this problem out,I'm curious to see how this turns out.

11. Iceman_JD

Iceman_JD New Member

Map
    Every time I look at the video of the mirror lights it looks like to me like the LED's are dimming when the other side is flashing on. Just a guess but maybe it's a voltage drop causing your problem. Throw a meter on it to verify. Hope this helps.

Problem.mp4 video by francois2424 - Photobucket

12. notslow

notslow New Member

Map
    Where did you find these mirrors? They look like the factory mirrors at the base unlike all the generic signal mirrors I'm seeing on Ebay. How is the quality? They look great and suit the bikes sharp lines better than the factory mirrors.

13. jesusbuiltmyvfr

jesusbuiltmyvfr New Member

My hay trailer started doing that once. Turned out to be corroded ground wire. Just a thought.

14. eurojuce

eurojuce New Member

Map
    I think it might be the voltage drop as well. My cluster slighlty flashes when I hit my brakes now that I addes LED lighting to my tail trunk. I'd like to know where you picked up the signals as well...I have been looking for this very setup, but the generic stuff is not okay for my girl!!!

15. frank24vfr

frank24vfr New Member

Canada
    i got them on ebay by searching for turn signal mirrors, the problem is still not solved but i havent really worked on it all winter, waiting for warmer days...
    the angle of the mirrors are a bit diferent making them stick out a bit wider and the actuale glass mirror is smaller and shaped diferent. I used the stock mirror mounts cuz i think its a cleaner look insed of a rubber boot thing covering the mounts the mirrors come with. The quality of the plastic and glass mirror apear to be good same as stock. good luck and would love to see anybody elses results,