LED headlamp bulb swap

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Hivizukusa2016, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Hivizukusa2016

Hivizukusa2016 New Member

United States
    Any recommendations on LED front headlamp bulbs ?
    Not looking to add wiring or fan systems , just want to know if anyone has tried good quality LED bulbs in place of the H4 s
    Thanks

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I remain unconvinced of the merits of fitting H4 bulbs into a bike clearly designed to have H7 main beam and H7 dipped beam bulbs. The bulb positioning in the 6th gen reflectors are obviously designed for H7 and yet the domestic rules have lumbered the North American market owners with pretty miserable lighting unlike riders in the rest of the planet who enjoy riding with some of the best lighting on any production motorbike. - Madness!

I recall someone on here reached the same conclusion and rewired their 6th Gen to the European design and was very happy with the results.

As for going LED I have several reservations. You may think the lower power demand would be good for the charging system but the standard Regulator Rectifier output does not change in response to lower electrical demand instead it turns the "saved" electricity into heat - and that is what has left hundreds of 5th and 6th Gen owners stranded. Also LED will only delivers a crisp headlight beam pattern if the filaments exactly match those on a standard H4 bulb. Sadly there re thousands of totally crap cheap bulbs on Tbay which may look pretty but increase the risk of a blinded driver heading straight for you - target fixation affects car drivers too - and you do not want to be the target!

There are certainly some decent LED bulbs out there - but the good ones come at eye watering prices. Have a look at this whole video before reaching for your chequebook.

Take care.

SkiMad

3. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    After trying a number of makes of leds I found Novsight H4 conversion bulbs to be outstanding. Beam pattern is sharp with the correct cutoff levels and BRIGHT without blinding others..

I also wired in the highbeams and when all 4 are on wow!

Note that I'm using a Sh847 regulator which is mosfet so no heat dump probs.

Attached Files: