Leathers vs jeans and T's...you decide.

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by reg71, Mar 17, 2012.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had some from ICON that I felt were a good compromise. They looked okay (like jeans but lots of patches so they were kinda racy looking) but they still had more protection in them than regular jeans. I actually low sided 2 different times and the aramid lining held up to the slide. The extra couple seconds they buy you over regular jeans=hide you get to keep on your leg.

2. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    Just a question for you guys - how do you end up low siding your bikes? I personally dont really take my bike to the limits or anything so im thinking you guys probably do some serious riding? my ride to and from work has some nice windy parts I can have fun on - but I dont take it on other roads that I know twists all over.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I low sided in a corner, crossing a mossy section of concrete going about 15 mph, my friend hit some sand on the road on a curve going 35 mph. Aggressive riding had nothing to do with either, purely road conditions and not noticing the change in road condition.

4. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    I see...makes sense.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I have never low-sided, but I can see how it could easily happen - an unexpected wet road surface in a corner, unexpected gravel in a corner, an unexpected decreasing radii turn, an unexpected rockfall in the corner, that kind of thing.

I see that the adjective "unexpected" seems to pop up a lot here . . . Nowadays, I conserve traction by backing off on an unfamiliar road, because I am old and falling off hurts a lot.

However, I know about high-siding from personal experience. That was the result of coming around a blind corner and unexpectedly running into a cow in the middle of the road.. The cow probably didn't expect that I would be coming around the corner right then.

6. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Michaels - Joe Rocket has some great full mesh armored jackets.

I guess I'll be the rebel here. No, I don't wear all the gear, all the time. The only thing I do wear all the time are gloves & boots, jeans but not always (more than not as of lately) a lid & my armored jacket. Yes, let the flames begin, but I'm just not out looking to do stupid things. It's not that I don't wear them or own them, it just gets to be too much sometimes to worry about some things. I ride very defensively. VERY. I don't speed, I don't do wheelies like I used to, I don't get myself into stupid situations. Under 40 MPH 97% of the time like that. Long trips, gear up. In town, 10 minutes? no, takes longer to gear up. Have I had my close calls? yep. When I was young & invincible. We were all that way once. I don't ride with stupid people any more. Yeah, I'm early 40's and don't heal like I did 10 years ago. but I like the wind in my face, the bugs on my forehead, but wear eye protection. State law, but a windshield works. I too don't see the point of a bowl or open face. Like all of the various PD around here. At least they wear leather, an open face, better pants, high boots around here.

7. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    I can understand that you think the 10 minute trip is no big deal.... who needs a helmet.

I ride pretty much like you do, very defensively - with a very loud horn, rarely speed, no "real" wheelies, etc. I'm even older than you.

BUT.... most traffic fatalities occur near your residence, like say within 10 minutes. And... one of my two rubber off the road events was at very low speed, about 200 yards from my house. I was fully geared up on my way to work early in the morning, turned a corner on my old kz (good tires, properly maintained, etc.) and (apparently) low-sided on a slow right hand corner.

My helmet hit the pavement hard enough that I got a concussion. I would most likely be dead if I was not wearing my helmet. :rip: The ER Doc said so, and in this case I believe him. My helmet had done it's job. I bought another one just like it.

Daily I try to improve my riding skills. But ultimately we are human, and everyone makes mistakes. The gear is to protect us somewhat from those mistakes - ours and those others make.

If I'm on a mission to leave quickly, It takes me about as long to put on my helmet, jacket and gloves as it does to grab my keys. The boots and pants might take a little longer, if I'm at home and I have shorts and athletic shoes on.

How long a hospital stay are you willing to trade for a 10 minute ride without your helmet.

Next time you think about leaving on the bike w/o your helmet, grab a ripe watermelon or something like it, and drop it from 5 feet on to asphalt or concrete, and see what happens. :fish:

Riding without a *Good* helmet isn't being a rebel, it's just wasting the wisdom that 40+ years should have given you. Do you want to end up like the guy in NY who died from a head injury on a ride protesting helmet laws? :doh:

I tend to care about my fellow riders, but I also think that as "seasoned" riders, we should also light the way with a good example for those who follow. That's also the military part of me talking.

Ultimately it's your decision :decision: and you bear the responsibility and the most of the consequences of own your actions should something go wrong. - Just saying.

8. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  9. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    My brother is alive today because of his full face helmet. It was a hot summer day, back before mandatory helmet laws. He left the house in his jeans and t-shirt. He ALMOST left without his helmet. Needless to say that he didn't like it when they were picking the gravel out of his arm and hip with tweezers ... and that none of us would have been happy if he had actually left his helmet at home that day.

ATGATT ... FTW.

Jose

10. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The selection of ladies street riding gear out there sucks ass, unless you want chaps.

I ordered these pants for the wife. She's had all the gear except for proper pants.

[​IMG]

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Are properly attired overweight riders FATGATT?

For custom stuff which is out there if anybody wants to look, check out Bates, Langlitz or one of the HD Botiques for starters and bring lots of money.. So if a flat chested skinny chica wears an outfit basically made for us "real men" is she a cross dresser?

12. ryebread5if

ryebread5if New Member

United States
    Map
    A lot of talk about full-faced helmets but are modular helmets like this one less structurally sound?
    [​IMG]

Also, I started a thread looking for some ideas relating to this: Best jacket for cold & hot weather

13. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    CycleGear is getting a decent collection of ladies' gear. I have recently seen them release a bunch of jackets in textile and leather. They sell two piece and one piece leathers and also have a variety of choices for separate pieces in textile and leather.

Check out their online catalog. You might be surprised at what they have and the pricing.

The modular helmets meet all the safety standards and the opening mechanisms are test. I just don't trust a flip up. Nothing but true full face for me.

Jose

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    no doubt there is a wide selection of jackets with style and fit for ladies.

It's the pants that lack.

15. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I did a quick look and found about 60 different styles of women's pants in textile, leather and mixed materials ranging in price from about $80 on up to $1000 full suits.

I know I sound like a bit of a CycleGear fanboy, but their in house Bilt and Sedici stuff really is affordable and decent quality. They have a pair of leather women's pants on sale for $80 right now. They can also get pretty much any mainstream brand item and will price match for you. If you have a CG local, I encourage checking them out.

Jose

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Now you narrow that down to styles that don't involve jeans, full on track, chaps, cruiser, or look like snowboard pants....

There isn't 60 styles as I would classify it - there are 60 products that fall in about four or five styles.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I like the flip face helmets. I wouldn't mind having the one with the shaded visor that flips up/down inside of the clear visor.

18. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Well if that is how you are looking at it, I don't see a lot of styles for men either, Tink. Everything out there falls pretty closely into the styles you mentioned.

I would classify the "generic" styles pretty much the same way (boot cut jeans, baggy jeans, tight track pants, chaps and loose overpants). If you think about it, there might be more variation within the styles for women, as they have even more style/color choices. Icon is particularly aggressive on the women's wear market.

What I don't know, is if the clothing out there actually fits real women, of if the cuts are all for models only. I certainly have an issue with finidng clothing off the rack that fits well, but I am a rather barrel chested and that doesn't work well for most off the rack stuff.

I still say that CG is a good place to look for women's gear and that their in house stuff is pretty decent. Although I honestly think their mesh gear has a way to go, before it can come close to matching the quality and overall finish of a Tourmaster (or bettter) jacket.

I have been eyeballing a new helmet with built in sun shade as well. I do worry about whether or not it would smack the bridge of your nose in a hard off, though.

Jose

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    so for example. Go to motorcycle superstore and select street riding gear / men's / pants - and you'll find 6 pages of products to choose from

same options for women and you get 2 pages.

game - set - match

20. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    IMO only trust a modular helmet as much as you would a 3/4 helmet. Some are "rated" as good as full face, but it still ain't fully attached from what I can see. So failure is still an option, just depends on what it takes to make it fail.