LANE SPLITTING

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by duccmann, Jun 15, 2017.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good suggestion zombie, sit to the side of the lane opposite tailpipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I had a class in a hotel bu LAX a while back, 3 days from 9 AM to 5 PM.
    First 2 days I took bike and lane split 8 or 10 miles of fubar traffic down the 405. Took about 45 minutes each way.
    Third day I was feeling tired of the 8 or 10 miles high tension and took the cage. Took twice as long. :mad:

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ha 405 which translates to 4 or 5 hrs
    Living here you should be used to it--- no?
    I can't stand caging it with all the brain dead inconsiderate nimrods that have filled our roads.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I filter on my bicycle all the time

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Be careful, people get killed on those things---

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Nice ride-- guess maybe ones in order

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Good man. I suppose where you are, there are quite a few who ride their bicycles in the snow. I used to too when I was commuting by bicycle but we seldom got much snow here. About the only time I did not commute was where the snow turned to slush, then froze. That rugged frozen slush was very difficult to maintain control and when you fell and landed on a piece that protruded upwards, it hurt like a sonovabich.

I took my bicycle to Winnipeg in February several years ago. Now that was cold. But on the way back, I got caught on the Trans Canada Highway between Revelstoke and Golden because to avalanches both in front and behind me. One was a man made avalanche and the other was natural. Over 8 hours stuck there. But had a nice ride along that part of the highway that I normally would not have had the opportunity to. That was in the early 90's and seeing a bicycle in the cold snow was not that common here.

Back to the topic at hand. All of you who are in locations where they are trying to legalize this practice NEED to be extremely careful if they do legalize it and you choose to do so. Brain dead people are going to be doing mindless things that may make you brain dead. If they make this practice legal here I doubt very much I will lane share here with possibly the exception of filtering to the front at a traffic light.

10. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 New Member

United States
    Texas has a bill coming up soon to allow it. Right now it's not legal, BUT it's not Illegal either. I will on occasion get around slow traffic but not often.

As for sandwich, well I never stop in the middle of the lane. I had a large SUV do a 4 wheels slide while I was at a light, he came to stop eye to eye as he went to the shoulder , and game me a "i'm sorry dude" look. If I was in the middle of my lane I would have been hurt bad.

duccmann likes this.
  11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

This is essentially what California had, it was an action that wasn't legal but allowed and many a law enforcement officer would be the judge and jury as to whether you received a citation. Riding recklessly or unsafely, crossing back and forth over the lines (especially double yellows) would definitely put on their list.

Yesterday I rode to San Diego for a project and had I not rode the bike, I would have to leave at least an hour earlier to even think about making it on time, let alone be anywhere near SD in the time I was supposed to arrive. Good luck over there, it's definitely something I do just about every time I ride. It has saved me countless hours, especially when going in and through LA County and South Orange County.

12. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
  13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

See, lane splitting is safe, look what happened to those cagers! :Scared: Motorcyclist came out unscathed! :Lol:

In all seriousness, I saw this clip this morning and thought the motorcyclist did a great job of staying upright but he did a really stupid thing. Kicking a car is really not a smart thing to do and he was a LUCKY MOFO! This could have ended up much worse for him.

Not 100% sure what the video takers remark of the rider getting cut off meant, did the driver do it on purpose or was one of those everyday instances of a driver just shooting across the lanes without paying attention. Yesterday I found that 90% of the drivers I encountered were very cordial and there were more times than I have digits where they pulled over to the left to give me more room.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    He didn't do the rest of us any favors.

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, news editing of the clip and not showing the interview of the videographer where he explains what happened just prior, plus the fact that he kept riding makes the motorcyclist look like the sole instigator.

When they showed this on the local news yesterday morning, the videographer said that the car initially cut off the rider, then there was an exchange of hand gestures and what appears to be yelling back and forth, he knew something was coming. This is when he pulled out his camera and started filming and is essentially the clip we all see in the link.

Although I don't condone either behaviors, I am glad that the driver ended up where he did. You just don't aim a vehicle at anyone, even if they did kick your car! Being on a bike, you don't go kicking vehicles, it's just not smart! He was very lucky!
    Too bad the truck driver got caught up in the crossfire.

16. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    duccmann likes this.
  17. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Funny, but how about something less than lethal. Like a paint ball gun hidden behind the fairing.
    The barrel could be made to look like a camera lens. ;)

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Love that idea, when I heavy hauled I'd get people even messin with me in my rig, so I'd mix my potion of baby oil and water and load my spray bottle up, lean back with window open and spray--- always thought of rigging up a small container to load up with a small pump, have a small tube come out the rear of my bike with a fine mist -- get a touch of that on your windshield and turn your wipers on----big mess---- did it for a good 10 years haulin.
    Ok no more scotch-

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have in the past thought about doing something like this or carrying bolts or something similar for tailgaters and what not. But I thought about what may happen when the jack ass suddenly does something stupid or reacts in a panic manner. What innocent person may get unwillingly involved. So I ditched the idea. Same with spiking the brakes on tailgaters who then hammer on their brakes or swerve. I don't want to be the cause of grief to any innocent person. Now. If I could find a way to isolate the prick....then maybe......

slovcan and Samuel like this.
  20. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    For years I had a 150 km round trip commute. After a while I got fed up with being grossly endangered by idiots day after day. I started carrying a spare spark plug in a magnetic parts dish on the gas tank. As Randy said, though, I was always aware of possible collateral damage.