Lane splitting...true confessions

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rshimmel, May 23, 2003.

1. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Hey, what do you guys think about lane splitting? It's legal in California, and I do it, but I hesitate to do it when traffic is moving above 0-20 or 0-25mph. I just don't feel that safe about it. :eek: The consequence is that some of my riding friends give me a hard time about not doing it more (and I get passed a lot), even though I still like to go as fast, and corner as fast as just about anybody... I'd be interested in your thoughts.. Also, how about jumping to the front of the traffic lane at stoplights, do you routinely do that? :-* (My brothers from Great Britain are probably laughing in their suds) Inquiring minds want to know, and all that, blah, blah, blah----
    ride safe, Rick 8)

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hey rick,

Yep, I'm a 'splitter' too...I'll split traffic all the way up to the speed limit...and beyond
    As for your friends giving you a hard time...tell them to 'piss off!'
    You shuold NEVER ride in a manner that is outside of your 'comfort' zone. If your buds wanna go faster, let them. You just continue at a pace that is safe for YOU.
    I personally have done some lane splitting that, after looking back on it, was seriously STUPID! (WAY TOO FAST & RECKLESS!!) But 'peer pressure' can make you do some stupid shite.

As to 'jumping to the head of the line' at lights...I'd say I do that about 90% of the time.
    I just like to get ahead of cars when possible. But I NEVER 'jump the green light' There's way too many ASS****s that run the red.

be safe

RF

3. Guest

Guest Guest

In Canada (at least Ontario), we're not legally allowed to lane split, ever.
    If given the chance, I would "filter" to the front in a second at stop lights and the like. While moving, however, I'm with you... seems like a dangerous thing to be doing when there are so many wacky car drivers on the road.
    Of course, that's just my uninformed opinion, never having done it before.

4. gingle

gingle New Member

The rule of thumb as an ex courier in London was dont jump the lead car at the lights, you can get caught out if the car driver see's u and thinks the lights have changed and jumps them and u. In the UK u dont get your licence if u dont filter "your not making progress" is the rule. In Australia it's not legal but............

5. RedRocket800

RedRocket800 New Member

I'm like Rumblefish. Luckily I live in California so I get to practice lit egally. I'm comfy splitting up to around 50 to 60 mph. When I do lane split it's with highbeams on, and my thumb over the horn.
    I jump to the front of the lights whenever it's wide enough for me to fit.
    Doing this sort of stuff adds to the value, and pleasure of motorcycling in traffic.

6. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

I lane split all the time. Be most wary when the freeway is coming to a stop. There will be rabbits hopping back and forth as the tiniest space becomes available. After the freeway stops, then you have to watch for people opening doors! For me it's most comfortable splitting when traffic is moving from about 35-50 MPH. Below 35 you have to be extra careful. Above 50, it's not always worth it. However, all's fair when I'm in the carpool lane. :) Whatever you do, stay in your comfort zone!

7. BigGuy

BigGuy New Member

Hi to you all,

I'm from Greece and lane splitting is not legal (yet), however everybody, including myself, does it. Actually all Greek riders have a master's degree in lane splitting. Yes it is really dangerous in high speeds and you can never be too careful. The good thing is that in Greece car drivers are aware of the situation and they pay more attention to the riders. However, some of them can be "lethal". I believe that lane splitting is safer when traffic is moving from about 45 -60 mph because cars keep long distance to each other and we have more space to move in case of emergency. In lower speeds you have to be extra careful. High beams and horn should always be used. If you get to be comfortable with lane splitting you can really enjoy it...

Pantelis

8. I lived in Southern CA for a year and split lanes all the time. One time I was on 5 North and traffic was backed up for miles because of an accident, so naturally I began splitting lanes. As I was doing this a CHP was also splitting lanes (though a different split than mine) in the same direction as me in an attempt to reach the accident scene. The funny part of this was that I was making faster progress than him and soon I easily overtook and passed him!

My advice for lane splitting is to split between the extreme left lanes (the fast lanes) because big trucks always seem to hover in the extreme right lanes and are a major pain-in-the-ass to get by when splitting. Also, watch those mirrors (both yours and the cagers')!

As an aside, I have heard some rumors as to why lane-splitting is legal in CA. One was that the CHP needs to do this in order to respond to a situation quickly, so it stays legal on the books. Another is that it is a law that was developed when the majority of motorcycles were still air-cooled, and it was neccessary to keep them moving when the freeway became a parking lot so they would not overheat and cause even more tie-ups. If the latter is true, hats-off to HD for keeping the vast majority of their line air-cooled (though with modern motorcycles, even those that are air-cooled, I don't think that overheating is much of an issue any longer -but at least air-cooled bikes provide splitters with ammunition to continue their practice)

Finally, I would like to bring attention to a practice I have seen repeated in the Southern California desert time and time again, one that is even harrier than more conventional lane splitting. I like to call this one the California Pass. This act involves a cyclist passing a cage around a corner on a 2-lane road and splitting the lane between the the passed car and an on-comming car!

-Jason

9. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Just to clarify, there is no law allowing lane splitting in California. However, there is no law against it. That's what makes it legal. However, this is not a license to be a jerk. The CHP can and will pull you over for reckless driving, unsafe lane changes, etc. I often hear that the unofficial rule is that you go no more than 10mph faster than the cars you're splitting. Mostly, though, I think it's just a matter of whether you're annoying other traffic or not, and the situation you're in.

10. MikeD

MikeD New Member

I think that Lane splitting is a great asset to motorcycling. However it's preaching to the chior here it seems. I spent some time the past two summers in SoCal and splitting and going to the front at lights was delightful and by no means cumbersome to car drivers (though I'm sure they were envious!!). The rest of the year I'm in Kansas and constantly tempted to split and 'jump' here but wary of the legal retributions. Why is it that lawmakers so often have so little sense??

11. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

You know, the more I ride, the more I split lanes and go to the front at lights, too. It's definitely an asset, now that I do it more it feels safer most of the time than just sticking around in traffic waiting to get rear-ended, it's quicker and it can be fun.
    Still funny how some drivers yield over if they see you, while others will try to crowd you out so you can't get through--you can just see them inching over... 8)
    Ride safe!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Having just been through the infamous Traffic School for getting a speeding ticket (busted for 75 in a school zone - oops) I can give you the latest from California:

There is no "lane splitting" law; on the books it's called "lane sharing." Technically it applies to both cars (go figure how that works) and bikes. It's legal if you are not going more than 10 mph over the flow of traffic and don't exceed 30 mph. Must stay off of the shoulders/emergency lanes.

The reality is pretty much like noted by everyone else: don't be reckless about it and the cops leave you alone.

13. proerj

proerj New Member

One thing to note in CA is that it's legal (not illegal) for a motorcycle to encroach on a lane occupied by a vehicle, but it is illegal for a vehicle to encroach on a lane occupied by a motorcycle.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

The story I got in traffic school matches the "lane sharing" terminology but said you are allowed to proceed up to 15 mph faster than traffic, up to the speed limit. (Californy that is)

I ride with my high beam on, fingering the front brake and covering the rear. I also "wiggle" the bike a little from side to side to get the headlight flickering in peoples mirrors. Also, I ALWAYS turn on my turn signal and point to it after passing a car that changed lanes without the signal. If the weather is nice I POLITELY remind people to use the turn signal as I go by their open window. Saying something like "turn signal please". Spread the word. No turn signal equals lots of accidents! There was a good comment earlier about being cautious when traffic first slows. People tend to jockey for position as the traffic starts to back up.

REMEMBER TO BE COURTEOUS TO DRIVERS. You'll lose in a fight! Also, piss enough of them off by flying through traffic like a moron and they'll get the "lane sharing" right removed by writing to the Governator. We already have enough rights revoked!

Be safe my friends.

15. vesper

vesper New Member

Map
    umm...there is nothing in the vehicle code about how fast you can lane split--the 10mph/15mph over and all that you hear in traffic school is nonsense.

AND...you don't need a law to make something legal. If there is no law AGAINST it, it is legal.

I have found a lot of wrong information in both the DMV driver handbooks, and in traffic school. You should go by the Vehicle Code and nothing else.

cheerio!

thomas

16. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

I lane share, and I'm glad it's legal here. However, I do it very carefully because there are so many unaware cagers and, frankly, jealous, irate cagers. I go no more than 10 mph over the flow.

17. VFRMike

VFRMike New Member

United States
    Map
    I too lane split (California) but generally ony when the traffic is stopped and I can jump to the front of the line. I have found a lot of drivers get really upset when I skip ahead of them but I generally ignore them.

VFRMike.

18. CAMBIS

CAMBIS New Member

WWW.CHP.COM a couple of pages down select "lane sharing" it says almost nothing! no speeds or relative speeds are related. my scariast incident lane sharing was with another motorcycle who happened to be a newbie and was not watching his mirrors lane spitting. REMEMBER that while driving any vehicle, no matter how fast your going someone else is going a lot faster and about to clean your clock if you don't watch your mirrors.
    i thought moving up to the head of the line at the traffic light was required to get away from stopping (or not) traffic from behind!
    your mirrors are the eyes in the back of your head! RIDE........

19. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Ahh, the beholded "Lane Spliting" issue. A term that many Californians try to understand for decades.

I am a motorcycle safety rep and having been dealing with this issue for over 15 years trying to explain to the newer riders about this often mis-understood practice. I often get questions ask about the technicalities of what is legal and not legal.:confused:

First, Lane spliting or (Lane Sharing) has no law against or for it. It is the other laws that gets people in trouble. What side are you passing, how fast were you going, were you tail-gating, and so fourth. While this is a common practice with California motorcyclist, it is seldom done correctly. Mainly because many people that do this will simply learn from observing others (monkey see, monkey do).

The fact is if you get into an accident or incident while "Lane Splitting", you will most likely be held responsible 100% liable for damage and injuries. Just like rear-ending another vehicle, it will be almost impossible prove your innocence.

I am not going to lie that I never lane split. I find it useful at times when traffic is at stand still or moving at a snail's pace. While most Californian motorist are used to seeing motorcyclist spliting lane and even give extra room in the lane to allow motorcyclist pass by, it is the out-of state drivers that seem to come unglued and act like real jerks.

BOTTOM LINE: It is up to the "man" if you are breaking the law.

Yeah, I am going to miss spliting lanes when I move to Illinois next month. After riding in wonderful state of California for over 21 years, riding in the heart of the "corn belt" doesn't seem to appealing.

20. Steves1150

Steves1150 New Member

Living in So Cal, lane splitting is pretty much the thing to do. Still, I keep it down to when the traffic is stopped, or barely moving.

The VFR is great for splitting; great brakes, narrow width, and enough power to squirt thru the tight spots...

Cheers,
    Steve in So Cal