Lake Michigan loop

Discussion in 'USA - North' started by dogger810, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dogger810

dogger810 New Member

I was thinking of doing a 3-4 day loop around the lake out of Indianapolis over the Memorial Day Weekend. I would like to camp, however I have not done a trip like this before. Any advice? (routes, sites, campgrounds, or gear)

Thanks in advance.

2. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

US-31 along the western coast of Michigan is pretty nice all the way up through Traverse City, Charlevoix and Petosky; and then you can get on M-119 at Harbor Springs. That's one of my all-time favorite roads.

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore has good camping, and of course the U.P. has a zillion nice places to camp.

I don't know the Wisconsin side so well, except that there is absolutely nothing in Green Bay, and every 5th vehicle is a Harley.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    M119 is the best road in the LP of MI. Take it from Harbor Springs all the way to Mackinaw City. Be sure to stop at the "Leg's Inn, in Cross Village...this is half way between Harbor Springs and Mackinaw City. You could stop at Scalawag's Whitefish and Chips in Mackinaw City for some grub as well. Careful not to eat too much fudge! lol. Mackinac Island is always an option if you have never been as well.
    http://www.scalawagswhitefish.com/

http://www.legsinn.com/

Hugging the west coast of the LP is suggested from Sleeping bear dunes on up. If you have some time, here are some suggestions for the UP.

Stop at "Castle Rock" just a few miles north of St Ignace, if you want a nice view on a clear day. Can see Mackinac Island, the Mighty Mac, and all around. Pick yourself up a "pastie" if you hear the hunger pains calling...or some fresh white fish or walleye.

If you wanted to go the north coast of the UP....you could head up to Sault Ste Marie (used to go to a strip joint called Studio ten there). Check out the locks to watch the huge freighters come thru if you need a break.

If you have time....roll on over to Paradise, and check out tahquamenon falls state park. Nice size falls for the north midwest. Second largest east of the mississippi (only like 50+ feet drop) Take 75 down to 28 west, to 123 north, then keep following it until you see the signs. Take a stop at the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery and Pub if you want to kick back for a tad. For the way back.....you can keep taking the 123 west until it hits the 28 west again, and then follow the directions below to Pictured rocks.

Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Campground, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Tahquamenon Falls

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you really only want to see one thing, I HIGHLY recommend swinging over to see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Take 75 down to 28 west, and drive until you hit 77. Take 77 north to Grand Marais, and take H58 west thru the pictured rocks national park...stop at "Log Slide" and check out the beautiful view. If I remember correctly, H58 becomes a dirt road after awhile, so unless you want to get nutty and get the ole girl dirty, then double back the way you came. Lots of hiking trails in the park though. It really is a sight to see.

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THen if you are really still aching for it, take the 28 west until you hit marquette. Nice town...university there. Then take the 28 west until you hit the 41. Take that north to Copper Harbor. Very pretty up there on the most northern point of MI (not including Isle Royale). Then take the 41 south, to the 26 south until you hit either Greenland rd (or a bit further is the 45) take that north to Ontonagon, and take that west past silver city until and pick up the 107 and head into the Porcupine mtns, and check out the beautiful lake of the clouds. Really pretty country up there.

Porcupine Mountains Convention and Visitor Bureau
    Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park Detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, lots more to recommend, but I am running out of time. Hope this helps. Really pretty country up in the UP of MI.

4. AtomAnt

AtomAnt New Member

Map
    M-119= "The Tunnel of Trees" an absolute must see for anyone passing through, although is not nearly as much fun at night (read scary as hell) there are deer everywhere and the lack of any sizeable shoulder definatly cranks up the intensity!