Kansas to Prince Rupert, BC, Canada or Bust!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by A.M, May 23, 2016.

1. NormK

NormK New Member

Huge effort Anne Marie take it easy and looks like everybody will be on the lookout for you, take care

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The beauty of doing this at our age, is two fold. Our other aches pains and complaints over shadow the bike pains. And what it doesn't, we have a bag of pills we carry for that.

Looking forward to your arrival here on the Best Coast.

3. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    That was almost the last trip I think. What are ya at now Randy, 150,000

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Not quite. I seem to be having a hard time crashing through the 197,000 km mark. Not riding near as much as I used to. Presently at 196,984 km (123,104 miles). I am sure I will cross the 200K km mark this summer though.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    A.M. Going to Glacier National Park, are you taking the Coquehalla, Trans Canada or the Crows Nest (hwys 5,1 or 3). I might join you for a half day's ride when you head out. Hwy 1 is a canyon from just east of Chilliwack all the way through to Kamloops. Hwy 5 is by far the fastest. It is freeway and speed limit is 120 kmh there from Hope to Kamloops. But not really adventurous. Hwy #3 is a fairly curvy road but easily the longest. From the #3, when you get to Creston, you would head north from there to get to Glacier National Park via Revelstoke. But that will add at least a full day's travel time to your trip. Or is there another location called Glacier you were referring to?

6. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Hmm great questions, I haven't decided a specific route there. Was thinking of Glacier Park that extends into Montana. I'm for suggestions. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I thought she was taking the Yellow Head all the way up and then through Jasper?

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I think she is but coming down through Whistler to Vancouver and back east from there. Prince Rupert is the end of the Yellowhead. SO she will either have to back track a bit, or take the Ferry from PR down to Port Hardy on the north end of VanIsle and ferry again back to the mainland which is expensive.

The more probably route would be to back track on the Yellowhead Hwy16 from Rupert to Prince George, then down the 97 south. Lost of cool communities on the 97. Then just before Cache Creek, head west on the 99, (the infamous Duffy Lake Road). by Mount Currie and though Pemberton and on through Whistler, Squamish and down to Vancouver. There is a campground near the hwy in Whistler but I suspect it is kinda expensive being a big resort and all. I know there is camping readily available in Squamish as I have camped there myself at I think it was the Klahanie Campground. That is less than a mile away from the new Sea to Sky Gondola which is supposed to take you up for magnificent views of Howe Sound.

Google Maps, Satellite view, is your friend when mapping out a course through BC.

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, I was on there earlier checking it out ... getting excited for my own trip.

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Our Glacier National Park is a long way from Montana's. Looking at Google Maps, seems Hwy 3 is your best bet if you stay in Canada. There is riding that is absolutely grand in Northern Washington and Idaho.

If, after staying at my place, you double back to Abbotsford which is just 20 minutes west of me and right on the US/Canad border, then get down to Washington State 20 at Sedro Woolley, that is some great biking roads. Just be aware though, you do get up high in altitude and it can still be cool up there in the North Cascades. A popular place to stop for lunch is in Winthrop. That is an electrifying place from my experience. I got up close and personal to some lightning there back in 2006. But the town has an old western theme to it.

After you get to Okanogan Washington, you would head north on 97 and catch Hwy 20 again at Tonasket. Follow 20 through Kettle Falls and on into Northern Idaho. Washington 20 becomes Idaho 2. I have never gone east on Idaho 2 past 41 so anyone's guess is as good as mine that way. But it does look like some really nice riding roads.

WARNING Stick strictly to the speed limit going thought Concrete Washington. The town cop there is a fucking idiot. I haven't dealt with him myself but have heard just sooooo many stories about this wedge, man's simplest tool.

11. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hmmmmm, I might have to get Randy to jot down a few of these routes. I rode around in northern Washington a nuuumber of years ago when I was much younger, but I'll be damned if I can remember which ones. LOL.

12. A.M

Wow, thanks for these suggestions. I am coming down that way to Vancouver then heading east. I'm about to ride out north all day. I'll examine these routes with my maps when I settle in for camp.

Thank you all for your well wishes! I'll keep updating.

13. A.M

[​IMG]

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Anne Marie - are you coming back through SD (Black Hills) on your way home, and if so when about would that be?

15. A.M

Won't be this time and sounds like I'd miss you, but super thing is I've never been that way and won't on this trip. Future ride idea! :)

16. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Go girl go! :thumbsup:

Keep on keeping on...

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well .. let me know if you're miraculously ahead of schedule ... even if it's in Wyoming, maybe I'll make a detour haha. I still want to do Bear Tooth Pass and have a buddy in Bozeman, MT I could crash at.

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    awe.. Good ole Bear tooth is just epic, thing is what's crazy is the elevation, at 100 in the low land one can easily freeze their ass off at the pass.

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    AM, your a testament to just sayin screw it, I'm doin this....you've definitely got some big ones fer sure.....
    WOMAN POWER..rock on

20. A.M

Great day of riding. Spoiled by a huge cabin tonight not far from North Dakota border. Rain mid morning. Saddle bag rain covers are totally ripped to shreds after 2 hours on the road. Lolzzzz. Time to get sacks to protect contents inside. The bags aren't bursting into flames though!!

<3 Always find the positive. <3

Like 10,000 miles!! Only about half are mine though due to previous owner.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]