Just bought a '97 VFR...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Necro_99, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Hey guys! I just picked up a barely-used '97 VFR the other day. It only has 7200 miles on it! It was one of those situations where I simiply HAD to buy it... the price was right and there were several guys behind me waiting to buy it!

So here I am... This is my third bike... and the biggest bike ever owned in terms of displacement or weight. I've got about 15000 miles under my belt, most of them being on my other bike, an '88 Hawk GT. I'm pretty excited about owning BOTH of these bikes, since they share so much in terms of design.

My new VFR looks great for the most part, but as one might expect of a bike with such low milage, it has a few issues related to sitting in the POs garage. Frist off is the chain... it's dry as a bone and has a thin layer of surface rust. I'm pretty sure I can clean it off and re-lube it. Does anyone know what kind of solvent I should use? I've used WD40 in the past, but read recently read that WD40 can pennetrate the O-rings and disolve the grease. Is that true? If so, what would you use to scrub rust off a chain?

Next question... the tires on this thing, while in decent tread, are pretty old and need replacing. Does anyone have any tire recommendations? I'm looking for a tire that's pretty much a "best of both worlds" in terms of longevity and grip. I've heard good things about Avon Azaros, and also the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021s.

And finally... the regulator/rectifier thing... this bike is on it's stock R/R. Should I plan on replacing it right away, or is the risk of burning up overstated?

Thats about it... any input on what to look for on a "garage queen" bike like this would be appreciated. I'm hoping to make a few friends on this board who really know their VFRs... I'm a little put off by the sheer complexity of this thing. My Hawk seems primative by comparison!

Later!

Rob

2. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Hawk GT's rule. The Parts Mgr of the shop I used to run had one and he'd run folks ragged in the tight turns.

I'm no tech like some of the guys here, but I have heard good things about the new Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot Road for more sport/touring. I've heard on just about any model they kick major butt. Probably not as cheap as Avon or some others but when your contact patch is that small.....

Good luck with your bike, the 97' is my favorite ever and probably why I have an 04' now.:blah: :smash:

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wooo Hoo welcome to the 4G brother hood..

I have a 97 as well. Was wondering if you drove her home? as if she sat I'd be checking the Battery, if nothing else put a trickle charger on her and watch what it does. RRs, I'd ride it till it raises it's ugly head. I've had three VFRs in the last 12 years and so far the RR have not been an issue. Tires? I went Pirellie, due in part to the price at the time. had ran BS, BS are great tire I was running the BT56r great tire, as is the 024 020, as for me, I'm running the Corsas, could be happier, thing is keep the 170/60 size on the rear, it has a 5" rim, the 180 is a tad to wide to be pinched to much to be able to take advantage of that size has to offer wow only 7200 hundred what a find.. good job.. Oh, change that OIL ASAP! in fact you could go full synthetic too. then when you get the time change out the front fork oil, along with brake and clutch fluid when you get a chance post up some photos You know 4Gs are the hot ones.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yea, Hawks are very cool, :)

5. pbrownw

pbrownw New Member

To clean the chain use a high flash point solvent like kerosene, oh and elbow grease, chains aren't that expensive so you might just want to replace it anyway. I'm in Baltimore too so if you want to ride sometime let me know.

6. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the forum! I too have a 97 and run the Dunlop pilots, I have to issues with them so far although I think Ill try the Conti Road attacks next time out just to see the difference. Not to steal the thread but I just remembered if one of you guys can measure your rear ride height for me. like from the center of the rear axle to bottom of rear tail or seat lock. i want to compare it to mine. I think the previous owner has it lowered. Im 5'11" and can flat feet it easy with room to spare. Just thought it sat higher..... Back to topic....

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Here ya go SLOVFR sorry for the slight hijack Zero With my VFR on its side stand, no sittie, it's 13 1/4" inch from center of axle to center of seat lock latch, hope that helps, oh and I have a WP shock set up for me, so that might change things, but think it's damn close to what the seat height should be as I had the sag checked and set.. onward ho.....

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Zerosum

congrats, and welcome to the club. I just bought my 4th bike this past year today. I know the feeling.
    I love the hawk myself. almost bought one a couple years ago but the guy was just too proud of it given the age/condition.
    I have heard some people talk about taking them off and baking them in the oven with oil, but I'm thinking if the chain is too bad, why not just get a new one and save lots of elbow grease and know what you have?
    I can reccommend the Conti Road Attacks. I'm on my second set with good results especially when you compare pricing.
    Well, it is the most common problem we see on here, but that doesn't mean it is extremely common. I think it's more that the VFR is so reliable that the R/R probs stick out more. Since you have more than one bike, you can always switch up if it goes bad and you have to order one, but if you're nervous or on a trip or whatever, having a spare couldn't hurt.

9. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I second/third the recommendation for the Conti Road Attacks. I have about 5000 miles on them and they barely look broken in! They grip great in the twisties too. I had the RR problem because a bad battery ruined it from the previous owner who let it sit too long. Have fun. Welcome to the forum.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh Opps forgot to throw the chain thing in Yea wd40 the side plates, take a good look at the O-rings, if they seem to be hard maybe even fall out, yea just get a new chain then the worries are gone, the lube is actually inside where you can't get any any so a good cleaning by hand will be in order this in turn will get you to notice just how good it is, surface rust doesn't mean it's in bad shape just means it needs looked into, so it'll be your call on how it bugs ya.

11. Rev

Rev New Member

Welcome to the forum; you bought the right VFR, the 4g's rule. I know there are others here who say the 5g's are the best (you know who you are...) but it's just not true. :biggrin:

Anyway, to answer your questions, I buy Metzeler MEZ-1 SportTecs; I got 9,000 miles out of my last set (and I ride hard) so I'm sold on them. Replace the battery, change the fluids (oil, coolant, brake and clutch), and lube the chain. I use Paslode Degreaser/Cleaner (for cordless and pneumatic tools) works great for cleaning chains, etc (also works great for general degreasing of the engine and other parts) and dries residue-free. I use Bel-Ray chain lube. Change the oil and filter; use the Honda-brand filter and synthetic oil (I use Rotella T, $14/gallon at Walmart). Might as well change the air and fuel filter while you're at it, and since you have the tank off pull the plugs and check them too. Good time to give the engine a good once-over.

You can download a Honda Service Manual here: http://vfrworld.com/forums/parts-service-manuals/3161-downloadable-parts-catalogs-service-manuals.html that will help you with all the above.

12. desertman62

desertman62 New Member

Map
    OK, excuse my ignorance, but is the R/R problem the reason the clock and tripmeter will occasionally reset when I start my bike (taking 2-4 attempts - usually after having stopped someplace and getting ready to set off again)? I've been thinking I will need a new battery soon, but it hasn't been THAT much of an issue until this weekend when it's happened twice in a row.

By the way, Welcome Rob! You'll definitely be enjoying your bike.

Phil

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

:welcome: Zerosum and congratulations on your purchase of your low mile 4th generation bike. I think you will find this site a lot of fun and a wealth of information...

We at the 5th generation level are deeply hurt by that statement and would like to say that we think all VFR's are great and don't think one generation is better than the other...:lol:

14. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map

OH YEAH...THEN WHY IS YOU HAVE THE " GEN 5 BROTHERHOOD" ???:tape2:

15. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I took my new VFR for a spin around the neighborhood yesterday (It has my Hawk's tags on it... it's not "on the road" legally yet so I didn't want to push my luck!) I'm still amazed at how comforable this bike is... I am not a sportbike kind of guy. I never dug the low clip-ons, or the laying-on-the-tank thing. I even test rode a '98 VFR once and felt like the clip-ons were way too low. But there's something that's just "ergonomically correct" about this bike.

When I first rode it home it felt like a tank, but I'm starting to get used to its weight. I guess anything is going to feel like a tank after a Hawk! It certainly makes me ride more prudently, that's for sure. The Hawk is definately the "city bike" and the VFR is the "distance bike!"

I just read a glowing review of those Continental Road Attacks over at Canyonchasers.com... definately worth looking into. Thanks!

16. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Nice, it's not even run in yet!!

As for tyres, my 2 cent opinion is for Michelin Pilot Power. Possibly a Pilot Road on the rear if you commute.

Now, where are the pics?

:hungry:

17. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    On the tire part of this thread, I have to buy tires in about a month and I am leaning toward the Conti Road Attacks, but does anybody heard anything or seen the new Pilot Power 2CT?

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ You go ahead get those PPs, that way I you'll have something different than me.

19. Rev

Rev New Member

How can you possibly wear out tires if your bike sits in the garage all year long?

20. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    4G Olympia Boyz feeling Froggy

9000 miles in three states between my two bikes in 2006 :nono:

Doesn't make a difference what tire I get anyway, you know you don't ride unless it's over 70 degrees, BTW, how's that gas doing in your tank from Sep/Oct?:hand:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007