Just bought a 1991 vfr750 for £570, have a look...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Y282, May 25, 2014.

1. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Just needs good clean up, new front tyre and wheels repainting.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Seems like a pretty decent deal especially with the high mount exhaust. Wecome aboard!!

Rollin

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

Congratulations! If the bike is running well that sounds a very fair price.
    You could easily spend almost half that much just to buy that DB screen, and exhaust!

Its great to see a photo with your first post :thumb: - and as you will discover red VFRs are the fastest :potstir:!

:vtr2:

When you get time, you may want to update your forum profile using the "My Profile" link at the very top of the page, to include the specs of your bike and a rough location city/town is fine. That way the information will appear beside all your posts and if you need help, you may find someone nearby is willing to swing by and lend a hand - especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink:!

Take care

SkiMad

4. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Wow, you stole that thing (even doing the x20 sums in my head, its still cheap)! Welcome aboard.

5. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies, if it's as good as it looks, i'll be dead chuffed. Of course the question now is what colour to respray the tatty wheels. I'm thinking gunmetal silver atm, but open to suggestions.

It's going to be sharing the garage with my rrn blade, xr400 supermoto, cb750, hornet and yamaha townmate!

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Ok but what the hell is "dead chuffed"?
    Is that like some chick pulling your pekker after you're dead? :potstir:

LOL I couldn't resist, sorry....

7. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Ok, mini update...

Picked it up today. Front steering was very dodgy, turned out front tyre near bald, 16psi in it and pissing down. Pumped it up and firmed up the rear shock a bit and it felt passable. Until it dies in lane 3 on the m27.

Suspected reg/rec failure, one of the plug pins has melted. So in addition to the cost of the bike, ive had to pay recovery, order a tyre, new front pads, a reg/rec plus plug and a few other bits. It now owes me 950 quid all in.

Bargain? It tried to kill me three times in less than ten miles. Never buying blind again.

8. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
  9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Yah you got what you paid for with that baby but I'm sure that by next week you will have it all sorted out and be terrorizing the countryside looking the shit. Actually to find a bike at that price with body work intact is still a damn good deal. Over here you would get a non running pile of crap that somebody painted with a rattle can.

It's a beautiful bike when it's cleaned up and loads of fun to ride.

Keep us posted as you get er sorted.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe Honda will pay for your "recovery" and send you a new R/R. Don't hold your breath.

11. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Cheers for the support :)

Jobs done since i got it back, rear wheel now painted in gunmetal, front stripped for painting tomorrow and tyre on way.

New reg ordered and plug as well. I've pulled the fork legs and discs ready to paint silver and i'm working my way round plastic welding the rear side panels. Front polished up pretty well too.

It's growing on me.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

12. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Few of repaired rear panels so far...

image.jpg
    image.jpg

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Good Score! I bought a non-running 15,000 mile 93 for $500. I was terrorizing the neigbhorhood lastnight midnight going aboot 115 mph just to make sure the slides where lifing, they were :vtr2:

Welcome aboard :thumbsup: gota expect to replace regulator, just "the way of the vfr world."

14. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Todays jobs, paint front wheel ready for tyre, strip and paint fork lowers, strip and paint front discs...

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    had to replace the rear rotor. Never pulled the rear hub assembly before. There was less "smigma" behind the brake pistons than on my 91. Go figure, still had to clean front/rear brakes, new pads etc. Cheers.

16. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
  17. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    Looks nice! Did you spray the forks with rattle cans? If so how many, brand and what was your prep?

My 03 ladies legs are due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    image.jpg image.jpg I took all old paint off with a brass wire wheel on a drill, prepped with preclean and went straight on with simoniz silver. Heat the paint through a hairdryer as it falls then bake in front of a space heater. Tbh i bought thisas a crappy old runner but it's coming up way cleaner than i thought it would.

Doing electrics today, got a new reg/rec and plug to splice in as well as scavenging a starter relay plug off a cb750 to replace the rats nest of spade plugs someone had bodged in. In case anyone is wondering the starter relay on these is extremely common on hondas so ifyours melts you can get one off a LOT of different donors that will go straight on.

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I am glad I finished my oatmeal this AM as I would have pucked looking at that sad excuse for wiring. My 91 I bought an entire new wiring harness for, this 93 I am working on has low miles on it so I dont have any of that finger-fuked-compromised electrics (not so for the carburetor!)

My old bike melted a bunch of chit, with the wiring harness and some direct soldered connections, its not an issue. I just soldered in my new RR yesterday with connections directly to the battery. Soldered in the 3 wires from the stator to the harness too, bike puts out 14.2 at 5000 rpm now. So, happy ending.

I am waiting on a new starter sprag clutch now as the old one makes awful noises, also had a problem when I changed over the petrol gauge from the old tank to the new one. I used a new 0-ring, but something catastrophic happened, I did'nt know until I filled up and got back to the bike and saw a massive puddle! Upon inspection, the o-ring got massacred, next time, I grease it. Funny thing was; I had the bike running 150mph before the fill up and it was doing ok, saw 11,000 rpm on the highway! O-ring reared its ugly head and bit me in the bum! :wacko:

Cheers, keep them pictures coming.

20. Y282

Y282 New Member

United Kingdom
    Finished enough to ride...

image.jpg

Quick first test round the block now. One odd thing, even in gear the neutral light sometimes comes on, but goes off when i move the clutch lever. Any ideas?