Isle Of Man

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by duccmann, May 28, 2019.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I somehow missed this thread. Just finished watching the last races yesterday. Couple of thoughts, Hicky seems to be riding at that next level on the BMW. I think if the bike was not having trouble leaking water it would have won the SB race by a minute over Dean Harris who is also riding really well on the Kawi. Hicky has to be one of the tallest riders ever to win the TT, I think he's near 6'1". John Mac was riding the Norton, not near as fast as the front guys but it was good to seem him racing again. The Aprillia V4 in the Norton sounds incredible.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Great book, I bought a copy couple years ago.

3. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    I have been waiting until you saw it all

Yes Hicky is something else, his Senior win last year was stunning, Dean Harrison spent a lot of time watching the onboard to see if he could pick up some tips on the section from Ramsey over the mountain from Hicky, he said after the Senior that both of them were riding their asses off to try beating each other

Good to see Lee Johnston get a Supersport win in race 1, also Michael Dunlop getting the Paton to first in the Super Twin race, Ian Lougher getting 3rd in TT ZERO @ 55 was a heart warming moment, as was John McGuiness taking 2 nd to Michael Rutter ...still a top racer @47, his performance at Macau behind Hicky last Fall was astonishing as was Hickmans speed around the most dangerous circuit in the world

All together a good TT ..... I’m sure glad I went years ago I just couldn’t deal with the crowds of today

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Hickman is so calm and relaxed before races. And hes a pretty funny guy. Harrison is riding the Kawi like a mad man, see how many time on the mountain section he was edging the grass! I think he knew all to well that Hicky was faster on the mountain than him and he was giving it all to try and at lest be as fast. He is really good through the more technical areas and faster in many sections than Hickman.

The Norton lite bike twin had a real Norton motor in it I heard. Do you know if they are working on a super bike motor too? I love the Ape motor in it but would like to see what they come up with on their own.

Still have my signed McGuniness T shirt framed in the game room! Cheers my friend.

Thumbs likes this.
  5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Yes Norton used their own engine in the Super Twin, they have their own 1100 cc V4 but since it’s 1100 not permitted to race it, there are no plans to produce a 1000 ... I can see the logic, there’s enough 1 litre sport bikes

The Super Twin motor is 2 cylinders off the V4, I think the head & valvegear are exactly the same, not sure about the gearbox

There’s a good review supplement in MCN covering the TT, if you still get it there’s coverage of every race and the bikes used, the preview edition had more mechanical detail and some great pics

Hickman is disarmingly mellow, I’ve met him a few times, he’s as approachable now as he was when he was just getting noticed, my grandson calls him Iron Balls

skimad4x4 likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    LMAO, Iron Balls! I think I'll run past the local book store, they sometimes have the MCN mag.