Is it possible bike runs better with a full tank of gas?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by JimHanus, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe we should try to be more nice to SOW. The poor dude is obviously suffering from ethanol laced intestinal gas.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^ irrevelant court jester. I had to chime in here, I don't have experience with FI bikes like this, but I know that cars with the fuel pumps in the gas tanks run cooler when (the tank) is full. Running on low gas makes the pump run harder.

I refuse to delete or block a sed (sic) member, I do however gloss over sed posts and if I tainted my brain/eyes with sed posts, I take them with a spoke nipple of seriousness. :loco: gona fry some tabby cats today with some bbq dressing. tgif my saturday...:vtr2:

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    You don't need to replace the gas filter if you add cleaner like techron and seafoam usually as my car would choke up and its filter is in the gas tank which you have to take out to replace-you actually replace the fuel pump too . I realize BB has no one else to bother sitting at a troll bridge all day for people who won't stop must be hard to take.:violin:

4. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Jim, have you noticed if when your tank is low on fuel like it is and you pop the fuel cap it has a lot of internal suction in the tank? I was just wondering if the tank wasn't venting properly that as it got lower and lower on fuel it would create a vacuum that would be a problem for the fuel pump. Agree with everyone else about the filter and possible crud in the tank.

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Your right it could be a vent problem with the gas tank hoses, if they are full of junk it won't run good. the 2006 has three of them.

6. JimHanus

JimHanus New Member

United States
    No excess pressure in the tank. I dumped a bunch of Seafoam in and it did seem better. Filled it up and it's running fine. Maybe just water at the bottom that's been there a while (even though I ride several times a week). I'll see how it goes after I put the new filter in. Don't know the history of the bike. Thanks for the suggestions.