In search of an interceptor

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by southwend, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map

I’ve had plenty of bikes with rads in the front without issues. Seems to me every car I’ve owned has a rad in the front, no issues. I fail to see how in a previous post the poster thinks that having two rads makes more sense than having one. It’s just an extra complication, for something to go wrong.

Cycleman1 likes this.
  2. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    RC51 had the same setup as well. Bugs, road crap etc all get swept up into the radiator. This ruins the air fow over time and the effectiveness of your radiator. Look at your car radiator and see all the dings in it and crud it collects.

3. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    Entirely a personnal choice item. No real need for one.

James Bond likes this.
  4. VFRDweezel

VFRDweezel New Member

United States
    Map
    For the $100 cost of a radiator guard, when I'm out exploring a new area in the mountains and I come across a section of dirt road, I won't have to worry about the possibility of hurting the radiator. Well worth it to me for the added protection of a very expensive item. Ride-On...

Bubba Utah and flya750 like this.
  5. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    I'm getting the R&G Titanium version and I'm going to have it powder coated black. To me, its a no brainer mod for $100 bucks...

The real question I have is do you need the front fender extender? That mod looks questionable? It may help protect the Radiator?

Thoughts anyone on the Front fender extender?

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    No. There is no sweet spot year (watch the disagreement fly on this). I've owned a 5th gen. which everyone loves due to gear driven cams and no VTEC but they ignore other major design issues, a sixth gen. which ran great with the wiring harness issue having to be fixed, and now an 8th gen. The 8th gen. is hands down the best one yet with zero problems, with significantly higher low/mid range torque and it's a standard model (watch the criticism fly on standard models) without the useless traction control, sketchy turn signal shutoff, ABS which I don't like personally, and forks that CAN be adjusted and only need it once if at all. All have been ridden very hard in mountain twisties on every single ride. My bikes are not for transportation at all but are for recreation.

Mileage means almost nothing (unless it's extreme which is rare) because it's more about how the bike has been maintained and stored. VFR's are nearly bullet proof. I prove that every time I ride. Near constant high rpm's don't affect the engine, in fact, the engine seems to like high rpm's. The block is a matrix design that just doesn't wear and the valve train doesn't either needing little or no adjustment in spite of what the manual says. If you're going to obsess over anything, look for a bike that hasn't been modded and has been cared for very well. That will likely be a good bike. You get what you pay for.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Agree. Given where the radiators are located, it would be VERY hard for an object capable of puncturing a radiator to do so. $100 is a lot for something not needed IMO. Reminds me of aftermarket warrantees on Honda cars and bikes. Why bother when Honda is known for staying out of the shop?

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    My suggestion is, take you’re time when looking.
    Bring a motorcyclist bud with you, two sets of eyes are always best.
    There out there with low mileage, a bunch of farkles and cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Igrok and James Bond like this.
  9. Joel Brown

Joel Brown New Member

United States
    I have a 1998, I was just thinking about adding to CycleTrader. Couple of months ago, I bought a new, Speed Triple and can't really afford two bike's space/insurance/time. Looks like you're looking at the newer bikes. So, no need to reply, if you're "good". Hope you find the right one! 22k mi's and I'm looking to get around $3k. In pretty good shape but, a '98. You'd have to want the gear driven cams! Battery Tender attached, new battery and new tires (brand new... not mounted). PM me, if you'd like more info. If not, again... good luck!

10. JimV4R

JimV4R New Member

United States
    Boy you're a guy I really want to talk to. I'm looking at buying a VFR next Spring/Summer (sooner if I sell some other hobby stuff).

I started out watching videos and reading and I really like what I see in the VFR800. The 5th Gen geared cam would be neat but I'm sure a good deal on a 6th or 8th Gen could be a nice bike too. But now I'm reading about the VFR1200. I often ride with a passenger on the back (my son with special needs LOVES riding). I have a 1986 Magna VF700C that's a blast to ride but I want something newer with fuel injection and a bit more power. I read about the VFR1200F and it sounds like a rocket ship. But I also look at the VFR1200x and see a bike with lots of low end and mid range power that might be nice with a passenger. Also, the rider position looks more like my Magna than the other VFRs. Do you miss the top end power of the 1200f on the 1200x or does the low and midrange power really make a difference?

Ultimately, I could see buying a VFR800 this summer and selling the Magna but adding a 1200x and making those my two bikes. It's all so easy when it's winter time and I can just sit here watching videos reading forums and dreaming about warm motorcycle riding weather. For the record, I rode the Magna two days ago on a rare 55 deg January day.

Maybe I should have started a new thread but whatever...