IMS - Dallas - Sunday Nov 10

Discussion in 'USA - Southwest' started by Haole Girl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Haole Girl

Haole Girl New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone headed to the M/C show tomorrow?
    If so, I'll be there in the afternoon working the Ride 4 Kids booth.
    Would love to meet some other VFR riders in the area!

2. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

It has been in rapid decline over the last several years. We haven't done our booth in 3 years now due to such poor attendance. Was a ghost town on Friday night.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Haole girl glad to see you drop by :thumb:

4. Haole Girl

Haole Girl New Member

United States
    Map
    Friday's are usually slow. Most of us have got to work :sour:
    Usually go on Saturdays, but since they needed volunteers at the Ride 4 Kids booth, I just hung out there most of Sunday.
    I was actually suprised at the turn out on Sunday. The after church crowd was pretty good!

Nice to see the bikes, but not many other gear or goody vendors. Fell in love with a couple of shiny objects.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's been somewhat the same here at the Long Beach Convention center, it's getting smaller and less vendors showing/selling their wares. Last year it seemed there were more custom "show" bikes than manufacturer bikes on the floor. A few of the same vendors still trying to clear out their warehouse of age old riding gear. Even some of the show specials were not enticing enough for me to drop any cash right then and there. I'll probably go again this year but if it's the same as last year, this might be my last visit unless I get free passes.

6. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

You've got an aging demographic. Folks are getting older and quitting riding. The newer generation isn't interested. They are more interested in texting, social media, and reality TV. Even my local twistys are down 75% from 10 years ago.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I thought about going but it's a long way from my place to the Dallas Conventions Center. I guess I am that aging demographic. There is just not much I want to see. I am not much into custom bikes. I do not spend money on gear at shows and I am not a new bike buyer (and with the way the economy is going I never will be). I went a couple of years ago. I got in with a vendor pass and was glad of it. I was totally underwhelmed. I had a better time talking with a fellow rider at the Racetrack (Racetrack is a gas station) in Anna than I would have had wandering around the show floor. When I went before I thought they had too much space. Everything was spread out and it had the look of a town with poor zoning restrictions. There was lots of empty space giving it a forlorn look. I just couldn't bring myself to go again. I might consider the trip next year if we do the whole group ride VFR thing. Riding and meeting people is where it's at for me these days

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    same for me. i havent been in at least 3 years. its just not enough of an event anymore. i might try it as a group ride though...maybe.

9. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

I went to the Dallas show, I was pretty underwhelmed as well. Last time I went to a bike show was 10+ yrs ago, and it was pretty awesome. This year's pretty much sucked.. I did talk to a couple riders and enjoyed seeing a ton of bikes parked in the lot.

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe it's my age but I would rather spend time looking at the bikes and talking to the riders in the parking lot. These shows have started to irritate me as the prices have gone up and up and the quality of the show has gone down. I have to admit being partly to blame. I don't buy anything at these shows. If everyone is like me then vendors sit them out and of course the interesting products are a no-show. The location for me is a big problem. I hate riding into downtown. The traffic, the one way streets and my unfamiliarity with the area make it likely that I will end up decorating someones hood and not walking around the show floor.

I took my then 12 year old son, about ten years ago and it was great. They had a trials exhibition that was just fantastic and my kid loved it. He was also fascinated by the woman in skin tight leather pants sporting a fox tail. He kept asking for a clear explanation as to why she was wearing a fox tail but I had no answers.

11. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

That is probably the same one I went to. The trials exhibition was awesome! Nothing like that this year. I'm sorry to say that I don't remember seeing the girl with the fox tail, that's unfortunate.

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i loved the years they did trials. i saw that in st louis. i remember him riding wheelies up onto cars then over the car then off without dropping it. he also jumped up onto a big rig from small ramp then spun it in a circle never touching a toe down the bunny hopped off. it was awesome.

a few years ago at san mateo i saw a stunt team in ball cage which was pretty cool but i liked the trials better.

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The trials was cool. I was standing at the edge of the crowd and this trials rider gets a flying start, zips across the display area, slides to a stop just in front of where I am standing, puts the bike on the front wheel and flips the whole thing around with his back to me. Then he just sits on the bike, no stand or feet down, waiting his turn. It was fantastic.

I think the whole thing is a vicious circle. The cost of tickets go up because of the venue. They can't afford any extras or entertainment. The people stay away and then the vendors stay away too. What you have left is the corporate displays and some local clubs. I think there are ways to make it more exciting. Maybe Honda should have sponsored an indoor Grom race. Maybe they should give free admission to any woman in skin tight leathers wearing a fox tail?

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I always go, not chancing losing my turn at lever pumping, making the famous vroom-vroom sounds and farting on the Harley seats.