I'm Really Disappointed At Honda.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by OCLandspeeder, Nov 12, 2018.

1. John carnahan

John carnahan New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree. The RC30 is as sexy as the Ducati but I've has a 916 itch for a long time and I will never have $50k + for the Honda.

Oh well

2. Litre1000

Litre1000 New Member

United States
    I’m disappointed with Honda also. Still have my 84 Interceptor 1000, since new. Been riding big V twins for the last 15 years. Just freshened up the Interceptor this fall with new tires and fork seals. I really want to ride sport bikes this coming season, but don’t wanna really risk riding the Interceptor due to a possible breakdown/parts situation. The bike is mint and I’d rather ride something “more disposable”. Nothing really garners my interest like a Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprillia V4. None of those will probably be as reliable/trouble free as my Honda has been. Damn you Honda for not offering me a viable option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Anything is reliable if you never ride it. :wheelie:

4. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    LOL! Notice how the rear cowl is very short. Only the rear fender extends out for legal purposes. Which is way, WAY better than this BS design of a cantilevered license plate/indicators stuck on the left swingarm and extending unnaturally to the edge of the rear wheel.
    [​IMG]

Yamaha has this on their MT09 also. Ducati started it with their Monster. Dumbest thing to ever sprout from a swingarm. Nothing that a fender eliminator can't fix.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I find it strangely ironic that people used to completely bash California for the perceived view that CA emissions and equipment regulations were ruining the world and motorcycling in general. Universal hatred was the name of the game, however, there are very few people talking shit now that Euro 4/Euro 5 emissions and component regulations have come around. A lot of the garbage you see that seem completely out of place, or just flat out poorly designed...are a result of regulations passed by the governments of our friends across the pond. Riders universally panned VTEC, but yet they are ALL now developing their own iterations of variable valve implementation, or have already introduced the technology as "cutting edge". The VTEC, however complicated, was decades before it's time.

I won't delve deeply into the current design cues, but the last time I checked, Tranformers was a cartoon and there is no need for a motorcycle to be penetrating a foreign adversary's radar defenses undetected.

I went back to a carbs bike because I was fucking pissed about locked up ECU's and absolute shit fueling from the latest machines. I decided to stop trying to outsmart them and went back to where their electronic dictatorship wasn't in play. I also don't care for the current trend of not allowing you to even touch your own machine. They act like they own you. It's a classic example of "you scratch my back, and I'll fuck your girlfriend". No Thanks. The styling of the older race replicas and homologation specials is exactly how I believe a motorcycle should look like. Not this shit they are pushing these days.

Upcoming Euro 5 emissions regulations are why you aren't seeing any truly exciting new models, all the manufacturers are working towards that end at the moment....remember the fuel limits implemented by MotoGP?, that didn't just happen from a purely competition standpoint. The only reason Ducati released their V4 this year was because they were tired of being embarrassed by Kawasaki in WSBK, it was ruining their marketing and there was no way they were going to get another pass for running a twin. I believe things will get better after 2020, at least I certainly hope so, it can't get any worse than it is now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    most of the current crop of 'naked' bikes are as ugly as a hat full of arseholes as far as I am concerned

7. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    I say don't save your VF1000F for the next owner. Ride it.

In the next two years Honda will release the 650 and 1000 naked sport. That's it.
    [​IMG]

The CB1000r is just hitting US showrooms.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would fire the folks doing their product surveys, I don't think they are really talking to anybody, just phoning it in.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have rode a friends Kawasaki Concours 14, very surprised at how nimble it was at speed. For a rather big bike (almost 100lbs more than the VFR) it handled very well and had a LOT more power. 161hp and 102 torque stock. His is not stock, reflash, and other bits, don't think its a big leap over stock. Great hard bags and all the horns and whistles.

10. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    I've been test riding quite a few bikes. I plan to do a few more before I decide.

I even test rode a Kawasaki Ninja 400. 45 rwhp, 360 lbs. wet. The polar opposite of the C14. My gosh that bike was fun to ride. I rode it on the freeway, a few twisties, and around town. I was amazed at how much midrange that little 400 had. I was also quite amazed how much wind protection it offered. It wasn't a replacement for my VFR800 for sure. The VFR800 felt like a rocket after that test ride. LOL! But the N400 wasn't slow either and it got up to 75 mph on city streets surprisingly quickly, without the need to beat on the engine. On the freeway it could cruise easily at 80+ mph. At 65 mph, I could roll on the power in 6th gear and the bike would surge forward to 85 mph without a problem. I really liked that one as a 2nd bike just for the fun factor.

11. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    After riding a ZX11 for 8+ years, my '14 VFR is not near as gutsy, but it is quite a bit lighter and just plain "fun". It's sad that Honda has abandoned the niche.

12. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    I've had four sports Ducatis in the time I've owned my RC30 (13yrs) - and they've all come and gone. None could hold a candle to it on the average bumpy British 'A' road. I spent a fortune on this 888SP4 trying to make it as good, but gave up in the end without success. I'm still riding the RC to this day, and on every run it still astounds me.

[​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It's hard to fault perfection. 20+ years on and the RC/RVF's are still the benchmark.

14. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    I test rode the 2019 CB1000R last month, and it reminded me very much of my VFR. If Honda made a GT, or even a half faired variation of that bike, they'd have a hit on their hands. Or maybe just a decent windshield option...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

FIXT. I know, dick move, but I'm of the opinion that we don't need any more junk naked machines, there are too many of them now. Next up, the naked goldwing adventure bike, ugggh. And here I went and told them to fire the product research company for phoning it in....when there are actually people wanting machines like this. I stand formally corrected. I will revise that opinion to suggest they talk to a different demographic.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  16. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I wish Triumph had further developed the Sprint ST.

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I'm with you on the insurance. People forget that when buying sometimes. They buy first and check rates after. I was after the Ninja 1000 when buying and they quoted me $165.00 a month. The VFR was discounted to $7,000 and the ninja was $12,000. I checked the rates on the vfr and I am paying $34 a month. That is why I am here INSURANCE cost. Oh ya also a clean record and over the age of 40. If you say Ducati, Ninja, Fireblade, CBR, Huyabusa or GSXR you are F..ked.

18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    There was a bike back 13 years ago. It was the 2003 - 2005 Suzuki Sv1000s. You could buy the optional full fairing for $800. I had one and I miss it bad I mean really bad. I bought mine in 2004 like my VFR it was new on the showroom floor and I bought if for $7300 with the fairing included buy the dealer. It was the cool copper color that did not sell well.

19. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not suggesting another naked version. I'm simply suggesting another touring oriented option somewhere between the cb1000r and the Fireblade. Right now, there isn't anything between the two...

And you're too late on that naked Goldwing... I think it's called the Valkyrie...

But I wouldn't even be mad if Honda added a full fairing, larger tank, and a center stand on the CB1000R and called it a VFR1000 (although with the inline, I guess it'd be more of a CB1000F-ish?). As fun as the VTEC is, it doesn't *really* do all that much.

No need to get nasty, just some wishful thinking about a bike I couldn't afford anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm not going to be making any apologies. This is the problem, the manufacturers are building machines that people appear to be asking for, and in reality, they will never buy, nor do they have the basic means to afford. That means, those of us who can afford them, and the associated costs, end up lost in the noise. Think about that for a minute. Basically, you are asking for things you don't really want. How do you think the world ended up with the 1200 that nobody wanted or bought? Part of the reason is that they monitor these websites to get an idea of what the riders are using as a yard stick for their next purchase. That's how Reggie ended up test riding them, they were monitoring the VFR websites. Then they build the abomination and nobody buys it, hence nobody wins. Your comments, however harmless they may appear, have an effect on everybody around you. Situational awareness is a real thing.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018