idle drops too low, intermittenly when engine is hot

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jeange, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jeange

jeange New Member

Canada
    I went for a ride on my 2005 VFR 800 last week and notice once I got into the city and I was riding stop and go in traffic the idle dropped at 600rpm and the bike had a hard time to keep going and my idle is set at 1200rpm under normal conditions. So I shut the bike off and restarted it and it idle fine at 1200rpm. It did that too me once or twice before. I only seen it happen under slow speed maneuvering like stop and go traffic or parking lot riding.

Any ideas what may cause this issue?

2. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

What modifications are done? mileage? an recent maintenance done? all important questions.

3. jeange

jeange New Member

Canada
    I did the PAIR and the flapper mod and the mileage is 26000km and last oil change was done about 1000km ago. Always used premium fuel.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Honda's change from carbs to FI should have eliminated running problems, as some riders believe, but did it ??
    HA-HA !!

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Oddly enough they did, my '99 Gen 5 FI without Cat and O2 sensors has great fuelling standard unlike my previous '03 Gen 6 with its flawed jerky fueling and stupid ability to meet proposed in 2000 but later dropped Cali 2008 emission standards. Fecken Hippies they're everywhere, they want to save the earth but all they do is smoke pot, play with frisbies and smell bad.

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Unfortunately not exactly, my previous '03 Gen 6 used to do the same thing in the same conditions of long periods in hot slow moving city traffic which I had to grab the clutch quickly and clear the stumble with a few quick revs unfortunately it was also very infrequent which was why the Dealership couldn't find it to fix it at the time under warranty .

I know some have installed PC3s and O2 eliminators to improve their Fueling and ridability which is also what the current owner of my old Gen 6 has done and others have mentioned they have cured with an SV balance and always using the highest Octane fuel ( for us it's 98 RON ) available which they say improves the Gen 6 as it is known to run a little on the Hot side in Summer when in slow traffic conditions.