I rode a 939 Ducati Super Sport today

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Sniper, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Not even for half the price of msrp? Some people are finding them for that now...just saying.

2. Quibble

Quibble New Member

United States
    Theres a couple dealers selling new 8th gens for 8-9 grand out the door.

That duc SS is gonna be at least 13.5k out the door.

People keep comparing SS to 8th gen but they aren't quite in the same price range.

Example: FZ-09 is about 9k out the door. FZ-10 is about 13.5k. Not fair to compare them as if in the same price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The dealer near me is selling a deluxe for MSRP. For $1000 more, I get the Duc S with all the goodies.
    I know that there are some great deals on the 8th gen out there, but how many are Deluxe models?

I'm not buying a new bike for probably another year, so we'll see what's available then.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It isn't about the money...if it is, find another hobby

ksoholm likes this.
  5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    LMAO - what an arrogant little prick you are! Find another forum to troll :glee:

FJ12rydertoo likes this.
  7. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I'm too lazy to retype so I'll just cut and paste my comments below about the SuperSport from the other forum. It was in response to someone who said the VFR was "clearly a step down" from the SuperSport but I think they are appropriate here as well. (My opinion might change once I get a chance to ride or at least see one in person.)

I think 8th gens are the closest competitor (leftover 8th gens in the case of USA/Canada, but maybe Honda will release the tweaked '17 version in N. America now that the new SuperSport is bringing new attention to this market segment). The Motorcycle.com review (see link in my earlier post above) stated the VFR800 Interceptor was the new SuperSport's "nearest Japanese analog" and gave both bikes the exact same review score of 86.5%, so apparently Motorcycle.com doesn't view the VFR as "clearly a step down" from the new SuperSport.

I would argue the Ducati is actually a step down from the VFR in terms of style (clown-like red wheels and weird LED eyebrows v. tasteful bronze wheels/engine accents and real LED headlights), dash (GameBoy screen v. beautiful analogue tach with white on black LCD), range (4.2 gallon v. 5.6 gallon), reliability (Ducati nearly 3x worse than Honda per Consumer Reports), dealer network (sketchy v. everywhere), and engine note (twins just don't sound nearly as good as a four IMO). Personally, I would never seriously consider getting a Ducati as there's only 1 dealer in Orlando and it's on the other side of town from me about an hour away and has awful reviews. Next closest Ducati dealers are all the way in Tampa and Daytona. The Ducati may have an extra 9 hp (113 v. 104) but I'm willing to give up a little power in exchange for having a V4 and the sweet engine sounds that come with it. Plus the 8th gen, being tuned for low to mid range power, does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds (zeroto60times.com) which is extremely quick - only a few tenths behind the Panigale - so it may actually be quicker than this new SuperSport from 0-60.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Has anyone rode a Yahama FL 09? Has a little more HP and torque than a 6th gen but lighter even with a set of full luggage. a triple with crossplane tech and a pipe sounds great. Heard a FZ 09 at the track and the sound was very nice. Looks to be a comfortable sport touring version of the FZ.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I took one for a spin today.. came away WT.... was actually disappointed. other than lighter, a tad smaller a bit more compact, there wasn't a lot that got me all google eyed. In fact kinda cheaply made IMO. I'll take a 1198s though to be fare it does have a similar riding posture as my 5th gen. not worth the $10K difference.

Attached Files:

11. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I was thinking "What a dick", but yours works too.

12. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    There is no reason in the world why the Ducati wouldn't be at least as comfortable on a long haul as the Honda. They are the same ergonomically. Plus the Duc has a better suspention.

Maybe next fall l will be sble to find s nice used 939.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea to a point it does have better suspension, but not compared to mine it don't. Then looking at what you get vs. the new VFR for the price, it's a no brainier. Let me also add not that this is anything new, but the mirrors suck, look extremely cheap, made out of some sort plastic SMH, Now the dash instrument information center can they make it any smaller? What a joke the first time you get into where the sun is on it, forget reading it, then the screen? Looks like it came off a Kawasaki. The ride its self was pretty neutral which was ok. really flickable, it better be, it's lighter. Brakes are good, but again for the money not sure there all that much better than what I have. Then onto the exhaust again smh. Wow not the Ducati detail I was expecting. Then the sound was pretty typical V / L twin not much in the way of a bark, not bad, but no where near the 1098s bark. But again for the money. The one I rode was a S model that goes for $14,500. Yea, I'll keep my VFR. It was fun to ride though. But not a keeper.

Quibble likes this.
  14. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I will agree that they are overpriced. In a year or two, when the newness wears off and the next latest, greatest thing comes along, l'd go $9K for a really nice used one, from an old dude.

You didn't like the sound of the exhaust? Hmmmm. I guess different people like different things.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh... I like the heavy deep bark and the roll I had with 1098, very intoxicating. But this one, yes its stock , I mean what ya going to do. I'm sure a set of Akros would fix it that. That and I'm not a fan of shot gun tubes so....... lets not get picky. ;)

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Of course you didn't like it. 5G lifer trying to stir it up....didn't get very far. Nothing to see here.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What this argument needs is the sage advice of minigator and one of his tour de straighaway vids laced with a shitload of OMGs , so that no one gets too anal aboot any VFR after half an hour on a Duc.

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, I was giving MY opinion on what I rode in comparison to what I have and how money, possibly could be be thrown away for some disappointing items. Just because it's new, doesn't mean its better. Like you NC, Everyone has their own opinion, this was mine.