I ride my vfr down to one bar of gas today!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by sunofwolf, Aug 14, 2014.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I been riding with just enough gas to not run out then I get a 1.5 gal can and put that in tank.
    I seem to get great gas mileage. My odd bike all ways get someone asking what it is-there are zero bikes like the 800 around here. I sold a Kitten today-A rare Blue Himalayan Male and another person is buying a seal point female too. Only three left to go. I am going to go into real estate and make plenty of dough. I didn't drop the bike today-it rained a little. I got a fancy coffee with whip cream and a twisty bread stick with salt and later on a apple cider. I found out Robin Williams wasn't broke-typical bad reporting.:funky::flock:

2. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    Are you drunk? Sometimes I run down to one bar, then I fill it up. Fully up.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    He's not drunk Quattro. That's just standard stuff for him. If you take all of his posts with a grain of salt, they are quite entertaining.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    there is at least a half a gal left at one bar-then the gas gauge will start blinking-that means your in need of gas right away. The gas gauge will show a wrong reading if the tank isn't level-I have never actually filled the tank to the top!:drinker::whoops::tinfoil3::cheersaf::vtr2::banana:

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    :banghead::thumbdown::confused::screwy:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

6. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    sunofwolf, what would the point be of only putting 1.5 gallons of gas in a 5.2 gallon tank? Do you enjoy gas stations?

7. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    If you fill your tank you can easily get 200 miles per tank. A little more if your conservative with the throttle. Driving like a madman will still get you 175+ miles per tank. At least thats been my experience. Spend more time riding, less time at the pump.

8. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    He does it because he states it causes him to drop the bike more with the tank full. He probably just needs his inner ear checked. And his brain while their in there.

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I only use 1.5 gals, so that's all I put in! I wonder could I put a 2 gal tank on? I would have so much more room! The idea is not to go to a gas station and I haven't in months, so I only need 1.5 gals! my little red jerry can.:beguiled:

10. Vfourer

Vfourer New Member

Had a similar experience last weekend didnt stop for a fuel stop that I should of and pushed on, was nervous I would run out of fuel was able to fill up at 350km and only took 19 liters to fill the tank but still had another 3 liters left. Open road cruising probably get 400km a tank.

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like you spend more time looking at your bike than riding it. Should've got a Harley. Sportsters can be had with a 2 gallon peanut tank.

12. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Really? Ive ridden a additional 38 or some odd miles with that bar blinking and it still had maybe half gallon left in there. The gas gauge is wierd on this bike, you have to top it off almost to the neck to register full and then it goes down 1-2 bars fairly quick, mid tank seems long and then the last 1/3 goes quick. Im guess it has something to do with the tank shape. Either way i can cruise a easy 243 miles without running out of gas so thats good.

13. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    Passed 340 km the last time i filled it up with 17 l fuel. Exactly 0.5 l/10 km, a bit more thirsty than my CBR.

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya Blinking means half a gal, one bar maybe a gal left. I go maybe 50 miles on 1.5 gals that's really pretty far, I shut the bike off real fast when stopping, and don't go over 6,000rpm till I hit third. Easy on tranny and clutch. I should lower the gearing 2 teeth. I would bet a 520 chain 45 TI sprocket would save some gas where I ride it. Not Highway.:kc10::boozer::whip::drink::ballchain::happy::tclaw:

15. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    sunofwolf, I think you have lost your mind if you shut the bike off when you stop. I doubt that saves significant gas, and its pretty dangerous as well. Lots of bad stuff happens when stopped, best to stay in gear and paying attention.

There is no point owning a VFR if your going to baby it to shave a few mpg here and there. May as well by a scooter if gas is your goal. VFR is made to be driven, and it still gets great gas mileage.

16. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    You have to be drunk, 50 miles on 1.5 gallon is not good. I always fill up my tank, and with it filled up I ran 340 km on 17 liters. Converted it is 211 miles on 4,5 gals, about 45 miles on one gallon.

sunowolf, the only] time you save fuel (with less bike weight) is during acceleration. Of course tire friction will go down with a less weight, but there is more like no difference on full or empty tank.

I like to have fun when riding, not worrying about fuel economy, the engine may have all the fuel it requires. If fuel economy is what you worry about when riding, then you can't have much fun, and should have bought a moped ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  17. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    the ONE time i drove like a granny (stuck with a pack of slow on the BRP. ) i got 300 miles from a tank with out any gimmicks. put just shy of 5.5gal in at the next pull off, she never once sputtered even with less then a half gal.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    1.5 gals goes 50 miles, I am getting like 35-40mpg and I use the vtec all the time, I go slow in 1 and 2 gear because it saves a lot of gas but when I hit 3 gear I go fast because it doesn't wear hard on the tranny or clutch and I still get great mpg. I think this bike gets very good mpg, I some times hit 10,000rpm, I don't think there is much point in going over 10500rpm because that's the max HP the engine puts out and its going really fast. It is a sport touring bike, so its a duel purpose bike-can do both very well. I got my jerry can filled and one bar of gas in tank. 1.5 gals is all I need for 50 miles, if I need more I stop at a gas station.:stickhorse::vtr2::funky::behindsofa: I got to bring a Kitten to a old lady tomorrow-so I have to use my srt-4 cat carrier to get $400.

19. ThickToast

ThickToast New Member

United States
    Map
    Bubbles? Is that you?

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    yes Bubbles