I hate my Fifth gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by rmcdougal, Feb 3, 2014.

1. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

I rode one around a parking lot once and remember being surprised at its searing position and ease of low speed handling.

I have dreams of riding gravel roads on my trips is part of the vstrom appeal.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Take the pain and just ride it till you fall off, by then you will be use to the the pain-sounds to me your 220pds needs to be around 180:violin::pound:

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Hang on dude,it was a question All we basically know is that you "hate" the bike. For all we know you may have developed a serious case of the piles, ballooned up from eating too many carbs, have carpal tunnel or tennis elbow or are confusing a motorcycle with an ex-wife.

For more examples of talking shit, any post by harleydood extraordinaire VFR007 the dood who put the bond in Bondo.

If your front end kit and springs, and tires are not installed then they are worth more than half of retail. Some of the "bluebook" sites have bike pages with levels of condition, trade in values, Private party sales ect. Some even include an area code designation that may or may not be cranked into the data. Not perfect by a long shot but a hell of a lot better than nada.

4. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

You are the only person talking about Harleys. Aside from me responding to you about them, which I will no longer do.
    And no the front end stuff is not installed. never got the desire after my longer rides. Yeah I know my long rides you guys are just getting warmed up.

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you don't like it , you don't like it sell it and get a bike that you fit on... easy as pie.....

6. Badbilly

United States
    No one blames you for not wanting to talk about Harleys especially around women and children.

7. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    OH... did Billy say something? I blocked him so long ago, I forgot he was even on this forum!! [​IMG]

8. B A Frade

B A Frade New Member

It's already been mentioned, but heli's could make all the difference. Upon my first purchase (i've owned a few now), I was having some pretty nasty wrist pain, the odd hip-spasm, and finally always sliding into the tank was a PITA. For me ...

Helibars + Genmar's if you need more
    Peg lowering blocks
    Sargent Seat

I have though gotten quite used to the ride now and don't use any of the above for romps around town, only if I'm going touring will I take the time to install the additional farkles.

I also have to say that after owning a 6th, it's comfort is different, not necessarily better. More comfy seat, but more aggressive seating position so it's a trade off.

My 2 cents would be to try the heli's and see. Net loss is around $100.00 if it doesn't work out but at least you tried. It immediately gives the 5th a similar setup to the FZ6 (owned a couple as well) so if you are thinking you like them ...

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    See if you can find a clean '88-'91 NT650 Hawk, more comfortable than a VFR, far lighter, great handling, easy to maintain.................

018_18hkside jpg.jpg 007_7.jpg

10. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

Those are sweet. I have never seen one where i live tho.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

11. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

As many have stated, its mostly your riding position. Your leaning on your hands thus making your hands, arms, shoulders and neck hurt. This all throws out your seat position and causes you to sit funny. More pain. Im a tad over 6ft (6ft1in and some) at last weigh I was 215lbs, so I know what your going through.
    First thing, change and learn to hold your riding position. This is hard but its a simple thing to check. If your hands are clasped and your having to force the bike to corner then your leaning on your hands. Sit up a bit so you fingers do all the work. Remember you pull on the opposite side of the turn then push to correct and hold the turn.
    Second. Get your grips at a comfortable height. Some use heli bars.
    Third. The stock seat is good but has a very narrow comfort zone. Find it and stick to it.

I ride a 6th gen which is not much different and I do 800+ days.

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Did NT650 -s come in white? Don't twist that into some perverted thing either you sod. I remember them in red, silver, blue. I know a doode that wants to race one in been-tage but has trouble finding a reasonable replacement petrol tank.

My hawk always let me down :flip: However, the doode I sold it to, crows aboot it alot I am told when he calls a friend of mine. :wacko: EX500 rides circles around that v-twin imho, and has way more top end for what it is...anyway, :wave: Ice-Hunchin, Barf-ah-low must be tough with all that lake effect :smow: :pound:

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As much as I like and would love to have an NT650, for the OP's size and weight, it wouldn't be a good match IMO.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Life is to dam short to hate your bike----sell it to OOTVS, he needs another bike and buy a Harley. That way you can ride across town and back to buy beer all in one ride. Problem solved, your welcome

15. Skifreak

Skifreak New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, life is too short to ride a bike you don't love

However, I can't imagine rider size would figure into it. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and can do 300 mile days one after another after another. Heli bars do help, as does a beaded seat. And don't laugh at the beaded seat. Ten million NYC taxi cab drivers can't be wrong.

16. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
  17. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    If you do end up selling the bike and want to take off some of the parts, I'd be very interested in that GPR exhaust...

18. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Go FASTER, you are obviously riding it like a Harley ! :lemo:

19. Badbilly

United States
  20. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    IF that post was intended for me, I would be glad to let you have it...but it's on a 6th Gen :/