I decided I'm replacing the VFR with......

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Britt, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice XX
    Awesome find, Thanks for sharing.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Dos Exxe is a kewel scoot. Kinda apros since its almost cinco de mayo. I rode a 100,000 mile co-workers bike a while ago and put it thru its paces. Still did 165 or so, my right hand fell asleep too but all in all a well aged machine. His had carbs tho not FI. I rode your bike too, love that colour, nice fit and finish but its still not that sexy v four growl with the over engineered swing arm. Keep the shiny side down

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Come to the Dark Side, Joey!
    Plenty of hot bikes out there!
    Naturally, I am partial to my two bikes but The Ducatis would be very nice! How about a KTM RC-8? It is a scream to ride.

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    yeah I've seen and heard of that bike. the only thing I don't like about it is the looks; it's just too angular looking and not quite my style. yeah I know it's pretty superficial but hey it's my money and I also want the bike to have something going in the looks department!

5. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I understannd and agree. It must excite all the senses...especially when these bikes cost what they do!

Nothing like a liter bike! Ever try the obvious choices?

6. steven113

steven113 New Member

Thank you for the comparison, when I bought my 5th gen I was looking for either the vfr or an 1100xx. I love my vfr as a do everything bike but I would like the acceleration of the blackbird. As a do everything the 5th gen is an awsome bike but truth be told I would much rather have the 1100xx sitting beside a triumph 675 in my stable.

7. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    You are a wise man!
    I cannot tell you how FUN the Daytona 675 is! Well, I could but I'd be off topic!
    My 675 sits next to a Kawasaki ZX-10R so I have Fast and FASTER.
    I wish I could have held onto the VFR too because you are also correct there (it is a great do-it-all bike).

8. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I'm assuming you mean the jap bikes like Honda, Suzuki and kawasaki. The line-4 engine doesn't quite do it for me and from a subjective point of view riding some of the japanese bikes is about as exciting as a trip to the supermarket.

When I got a chance to test ride a 1198 it's safe to say I was blown away at the raw visceral thrill in riding it; the brakes, engine and all are immediate on tap and the rumbling L-twin engine is just icing on the cake. I mean let's face it, I ride for the fun and thrill not for the practical aspects of it! I'm sure you understand with owning a 675 and a ZX-10R!

9. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Yes, you are correct on the "obvious suspects." I also felt that an I-4 would never be in my garage but then I threw my leg over the ZX and fairly quickly it was home! The most important thing you said is how you felt on the Ducati. Dr. Nung says it is quite possibly your next bike. Being Italian I don't need much prodding to say good things about Italian machinery. Follow your gut, Joey Dude!

10. Spectre

Spectre New Member

Britt,

I'm not familiar with the XX, but I think that yours looks very sharp indeed. :cool:

A few questions:

1) You mentioned that the XX is heavier than your VFR. About how much does your XX weigh with side cases, etc.?

2) You also mentioned that the XX seems a bit less nimble in the turns than your VFR. I'm wondering if something like Race Tech's suspension rebuilds might do the trick? Not cheap (I know!) but well worth considering if you remain in love with your XX.

3) In your experiences with the XX thus far, how does it currently compare with the VFR in terms of air flow, wind protection/wind noise/bug-splatters, etc, particularly when cruising at freeway speeds? (I really like my MRA Vario windscreen, by the way. Just thought I'd mention that.)

4) You mentioned that you live in Illinois, which is rather flat. I live in central Ohio, which is also flat, but many other regions of Ohio are quite hilly and fun, especially southeastern, southern, and northeastern Ohio. From my home, it takes me a good hour or more of riding slabs in order to reach Ohio's motorcycling playgrounds, and this is one of the reasons why I chose to have MCCruise's electronic cruise control installed on my VFR, rather than staying with a ThrottleMeister. It's so nice to be able to relax my right arm and cruise along over long distances in relative comfort on slabs, rather than having to frequently readjust a throttle lock, which in turn often gives your right arm only brief periods of relief. In my opinion regarding this issue (which is Bad Billy bait, to be sure) don't believe anyone who would tell you that going with an electronic cruise-control system over a throttle lock, somehow makes you a girly-man. (I suspect that many who scoff at electronic cruise controls are actually full of sour grapes because they can't afford to spend the money for one, but if they won a contest and received one for free, they would probably install it and enjoy the hell out of it, rather than trying to bash those who already have one, even if they wouldn't then openly and honestly eat some crow-pie and admit that having the option of an electronic CC greatly reduces rider fatigue, and enhances safety and riding pleasure.)

The XX sounds like more of a very fast and powerful touring machine (one that fits between an ST and a VFR?), so if you anticipate taking many long rides over slabs, you might consider adding an electronic CC if you can someday swing the cost, which is less than a grand if you install it yourself. Again, just a thought.

Enjoy your new ride! She looks like a beauty.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice compare O All though you have a new ride, don't leave us behind, keep filling us in on whats going on. I don't have to tell ya enjoy huh? This almost reminds me of a VFR1200. Gee where'd they get that idea?

12. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    I have a 2002 Silver Blackbird, and a '99 VFR800 (and a 2003 Hayabusa and a '91 VFR750)
    The VFR800 is a very refined machine, it may even be slightly better on long trips than the Blackbird (I'm still undecided).
    I picked up a Hayabusa believing that I was getting the baddest ride around, then I suddenly gained perspective.

It would be tough to overstate how much I LOVE my XX, it's very fast, it's ludicrously smooth, it's incredibly well made, it is in fact as close to a perfect hybrid between the Hayabusa and the VFR800 as you are going to find.

Congratulations my friend, you may never ride a better bike.

[​IMG]

13. Britt

Britt New Member

RedRover5683: Britt,

I'm not familiar with the XX, but I think that yours looks very sharp indeed. :cool:

A few questions:

1) You mentioned that the XX is heavier than your VFR. About how much does your XX weigh with side cases, etc.?
    Motorcycle.com weighed a stock XX full of fluids at 552 lbs. The Corbin Beetle Bags weigh about 35 lbs. Going from the VFR to the XX, it truly does feel heavier.

2) You also mentioned that the XX seems a bit less nimble in the turns than your VFR. I'm wondering if something like Race Tech's suspension rebuilds might do the trick? Not cheap (I know!) but well worth considering if you remain in love with your XX.
    I've read that simply raising the rear shock with a 6 mm shim does wonders. I'd imagine that upgraded suspension components would do much more. I think that right now my main issue is me - I'm still getting used to a heavier bike with much more power than I'm used to.

3) In your experiences with the XX thus far, how does it currently compare with the VFR in terms of air flow, wind protection/wind noise/bug-splatters, etc, particularly when cruising at freeway speeds? (I really like my MRA Vario windscreen, by the way. Just thought I'd mention that.)
    I had a 300 mile freeway ride home when I purchased the bike. When I got home, I have to say that I felt less wind battered or fatigued than I think I would have been on the VFR. My VFR had the OEM screen, and the XX has a Zero Gravity that seems to put the windblast around the same place that the VFR did. I tried the Corbin touring screen on the VFR but it just put a ton of turbulence right in my helmet. I'm 6'3" tall and I pretty much just accept that I'll never be out of the windblast unless I get something like an ST1300, FJR1300, Concours 1400, etc. Bug splatters seem pretty much equal to me so far. My helmet is out in clean air so it's getting any bugs that are in my way. The nose of the XX does collect bugs as well, and with the ram air I found several dried out bees inside the airbox. I may put screens in the inlets.

4) You mentioned that you live in Illinois, which is rather flat. I live in central Ohio, which is also flat, but many other regions of Ohio are quite hilly and fun, especially southeastern, southern, and northeastern Ohio. From my home, it takes me a good hour or more of riding slabs in order to reach Ohio's motorcycling playgrounds, and this is one of the reasons why I chose to have MCCruise's electronic cruise control installed on my VFR, rather than staying with a ThrottleMeister. It's so nice to be able to relax my right arm and cruise along over long distances in relative comfort on slabs, rather than having to frequently readjust a throttle lock, which in turn often gives your right arm only brief periods of relief. In my opinion regarding this issue (which is Bad Billy bait, to be sure) don't believe anyone who would tell you that going with an electronic cruise-control system over a throttle lock, somehow makes you a girly-man. (I suspect that many who scoff at electronic cruise controls are actually full of sour grapes because they can't afford to spend the money for one, but if they won a contest and received one for free, they would probably install it and enjoy the hell out of it, rather than trying to bash those who already have one, even if they wouldn't then openly and honestly eat some crow-pie and admit that having the option of an electronic CC greatly reduces rider fatigue, and enhances safety and riding pleasure.)
    I'd love a fully electronic cruise control, and have looked at a few options. The cheapest is the Audiovox. Someone fit a GoldWing handlebar control pod with its built in cruise control buttons, and they connected it to an aftermarket cruise control module (it was really slick and looked OEM!). And of course the MCCruise, which is expensive enough that I have trouble considering that kind of money for what amounts to a convenience item. I'd love to have one though! :thumb:

The XX sounds like more of a very fast and powerful touring machine (one that fits between an ST and a VFR?), so if you anticipate taking many long rides over slabs, you might consider adding an electronic CC if you can someday swing the cost, which is less than a grand if you install it yourself. Again, just a thought.

Enjoy your new ride! She looks like a beauty.

14. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Well written. Thanks for the follow up.
    As far as the beauty contest goes, I see them as sisters. Equally stunning in their own way.

15. Britt

Britt New Member

Checking back in after a year of riding the XX. I thought that if anyone happened upon this topic they'd like to see where it went. :smile:

I still think that it's an incredible machine that is as incredibly smooth, as incredibly powerful, and as good looking as anything a performance minded sport-tourer could ask for. In 8,000 miles (it's currently at 29,000 miles) I haven't experienced even a hiccup with it. I did replace the cam chain tensioner lifter to quiet things down, but the bike couldn't be better built.

Alas, the bike is soon to be in the hands of a new owner. The decision to sell it has nothing to do with any shortcomings of the bike - it's more a result of a change in what I want from a bike and what I want to do on a bike. My faimily has a summer cottage near Traverse City that is on a sand road, with a sand driveway, and is surrounded by really cool sand roads that I can't explore on the Bird. The Blackbird is NOT happy on sand so every time I'm up there I think about having a bike that will carry me the 340 miles each direction in comfort and with power, with luggage capacity, and then be confident on those surfaces.

I've ridden the BMW GS, and didn't care much for the feel of the motor (or the fact that newer ones are a small fortune). I decided I would seek out a Suzuki VStrom 1000 in my area and try to score a test ride on it to be sure it fit well, and I began monitoring Craigslist.

I noticed an ad placed by someone about 18 miles from me for a 2002 Aprilia EVT1000 Caponord. It had factory hard luggage and only 2,700 miles on it. Initially I dismissed the bike as there are no Aprilia dealers anywhere near me. A multi-brand dealer a mile from my house, dropped Aprilia a couple of years ago because of the awful factory support. I continued watching for a VStrom in the area, and one popped up for sale, and I talked to the seller about seeing it. A weej later I was going to drive to his house to check it out and when I called he told me it had sold.

That Aprilia was still listed, and the ad had been renewed three times over three weeks. I started researching the Caponord, read lots of good information about common issues with the electrics and fuel lines, and found THE source in North America for parts (AF1 Racing in Texas). I knew that if I took on this bike, I'd be doing all of the wrenching on it myself - which shouldn't be a problem because I've never had any of my bikes in a shop for anything but tires.

I contacted the seller, made arrangements to see the bike, and I thought it was beautiful. I asked to sit on it, and it fit like a glove. He started the motor so I could hear it, and that Rotax V twin was sweet. I didn't want to ask to ride this pristine bike, but the seller spoke up and said "I can tell you're not going to drop it. Why don't you take a ride up and down the street". I did, and I really liked it. Super comfortable, great power, and while I expected some V twin vibration, above 3000 RPM the motor probably feels smoother than my VFR did.

I parked the bike, a deal was made, and a week later I was back with the cash and rode it home. I've only had it a week, and I've only put 40 miles on it, but I really like it. It's stripped down at the moment while I do some preventative work on the electrics, and replace some crack prone fuel fittings. I should be buttoning it up this weekend and putting some real miles on it soon...

Hope you enjoy a few of my first pics after getting it home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels are tubeless with the spokes going through the edges of the rims.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice...................still like the GS better :Þ

17. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

Those are some of the coolest rims I've ever seen.