Hwy 33 Crash

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Jdog109socal, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Jdog109socal

Jdog109socal New Member

I was following Matt when he went in Hot into a turn... well just watch as I was showered with parts and avoiding the bike as it came back into my lane... He is ok and home rest now...Bike is toast take a look

Honda CBR 954RR CRASH on Vimeo

Jdog/Jeff

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Wow....I am glad that your friend is ok. From the looks of it, his bike (or parts/rocks) came very close to taking you out as well. ATGATT was definitely a factor in saving his hide.

Lamps....

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    ouch... good to hear he is okay

4. Jdog109socal

Jdog109socal New Member

I was showered with parts and you can hear me accelerate to get out of the bikes way that was headed back into my lane

5. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Looks as if he kind of point fixed on something or looked back at the vette. The 33 is some good riding but I know it can be kinda sketchy. Heal fast. Glad to see he had a quality helmet on his nugget great helmets are the difference between getting up and "shaking it off" and ?

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Looks like the dude got into some dirt or sand on the inside shoulder and low sided. Totaled that 954 too. Slo-mo would show some of the cause.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Looked to me that it may have been part too hot and part target fixation. The important thing is that he survived that....amazingly. I am sure he is some sore regardless though. That helmet is worth every penny he paid for it. I would definately keep that somewhere where I would see it every time I went out for a ride in the future. Heal well and heal fast. Your presence on the road is expected to return real soon like.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Glad he is ok but that was piss poor.

9. Jdog109socal

Jdog109socal New Member

Yes it was... Could have made it if he leaned

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I think just a few weeks ago someone was killed on a bike up there and they closed Hwy 33 down to all motorcycles . What did your friend say? any clues of why he crashed? or did he just have a brain fart . Lucky he walked away from it .

11. Jdog109socal

Jdog109socal New Member

he told me yesterday once he hit the bumps on the yellow line he know he lost it... he is a new rider and was riding way above his skill level... I think that has happen to most of us in our ride time.. the thing is you need to tell your brain is to stay with it a lean...I had to do this myself as he was going down and if you listen to my engine i gun it a bit after he went down to get away from his bike that bounced of the rock and came back towards me. I know this road very well and know that turn very well since i did a memorial video a few years back of a guy who didnt make in that turn. I took a way better line and made it through with no problem... I seen this coming way back... this turn starts of as a easy turn then it really turns hard to right once in it...I have seen many cross the dbl yellow here...The CHP officer told me this is a common turn for people to blow....Yes about 3 weeks back there was a big HD crash involving 6 bike and two did not make it but i be leave it happen way up the road on the Bad JUJU side... Past pine mountain

Jeff

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Thank god you didn't fixate on him and follow him and his line right into the rocks . Every time since like you said we have all been there ( riding over our heads to keep up with more experienced riders) I ride with less experienced riders and always say ride at your speed , don't push it, be smooth and we will wait for you up the road, nothing to prove here. Thats what my buddies always said when I was green and boy I am so glad they pounded that into my brain or fer sure I would have killed myself trying to keep up. Hope he jumps back on that horse and doesn't give up being so new to riding. Maybe a course with the CHP on skills.

13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad your buddy is relatively O.K. but he your video confirms the biggest mistake he made and most likely setting in motion the unfortunate mishap was the way he entered the turn. It's a mistake a lot of new riders make by not understanding the proper line entering the corner. His line was the complete opposite of the proper diagram below...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I don't typically watch crash vids, seems like bad karma and all. From the comments, I'm glad I don't, and glad the rider lives to fight another day.

15. Badbilly

United States
    The line (s) in the nice little diagram are great but the turn that nailed the dude is a decreasing radius. It is also doubtful that even the dude knew what exactly put him down.

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nuff Sed - Decreasing radius turn. You have two apexes, me believes. Gota hang your arse off more and maybe even drag a patella now and then :wink:

Glad the Dude is ok, Binning your bike sux...

17. Badbilly

United States
    Some of those corners are blind too. Riding race lines when the Vette could have been coming at ya is a good way to bite it bigtime or at least enforce those 9th grade geometry axioms.

Sure would like to see the thing in slo-mo...

Looks like the race line done went bye-bye..LOL

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I get why norcal boy doesn't watch crash vids, sometimes I feel that way too. However, I like to see where things went wrong so I don't make the same mistake. The point of view of the video plays a huge part in that.So far I have been very lucky with my "mishaps", most of them have been in the dirt and the few times they were on the street, both me and the bike came out OK. (knock on wood).

Good to hear that your friend was able to walk away. Being dressed properly probably had a lot to do with that! Every time I see a rider, mostly the "chopper/cruiser" types, wearing shorts, tank tops and tennis shoes (I've seen guys wearing flip flops even!), I cringe. I always picture scenes like this and have to shake my head and clear the image from my head.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Just a couple of wild and crazy atypical guys.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    inexperience and Honda 954RR- WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE????????????? . Thats the problem , these newbies go out and buy WAY to much machine for there skills and put 500-1000 miles and think there Ricky Racer on the street, let alone riding in front thinkin he has to prove to his experienced Buds that he can actually ride at a pace way out of his league. Just my oppinion