Huntsville Alabama area ride.

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by JohnandAsh07, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JohnandAsh07

JohnandAsh07 New Member

Not sure I want to do this but...

Almost every Sunday (and when I can't make it you can go without me once you know the route) I ride from New Market/Meridianville, AL through Huntsville to Grant, AL then to Gurley, AL to Maysville, AL then back to new Market. Route is about 110 miles. I usually take a 15 minute or so break in Grant. Whole lap takes me about 90-120minutes.

Route is mostly well-maintained country roads with a few stretches of divided highway. I ride FAST - usually averaging something like 65-80mph, depending on stops. I am not used to riding with others so this is more turning the gang onto a cool, fun, route rather than a group ride per se. It is scenic and suitable to slower riders too, even bring a pillion. I am not interested in people keeping up with me and riding too close and over their heads or keeping up with someone faster than me.

I usually ride my track day prepped CBR900RR but occasionally will take the 1998 VFR. Wife may join me on the VFR occasionally - she will not try to keep up lol.

I will try to remember to post here the Saturday before. Suggest we meet at the elementary school driveway just south of the corner of Moore's Mill and Charley Patterson (also known as Steger Rd).

RIDE:
    From the elementary school on the southbound side of Moore's Mill just south of the interesction of Moore's Mill and Charley Patterson/Steger RdNORTH on Moore's Mill, turn LEFT (WEST) on Charley Patterson (nice fast curvy section but take it as a warm up section) to the first LEFT - McCollum Rd- (SOUTH). Follow this past the golf community on the right (several hairpins and long straights) until you reach a three way slightly uphill junction. Turn LEFT (EAST) over the hump (take it easy here) onto Eakins Rd. Follow over several rises straight back to Moore's Mill - can be very fast here. Turn right (SOUTH) at the T onto Moore's Mill. Follow Moore's Mill to 72W/I-565. Turn RIGHT (EAST) and follow to Memorial Parkway (US231/431) SOUTH. Follow the Parkway SOUTH to Hobb's Island Rd. LEFT on Hobb's Island (EAST) follow a long wayuntil T-bones into US431 South (Hobb's Island probably changes names a few times on this maybe 20 mi stretch. It is fast with a good combo of sweepers and slower bends. There is a rough patch with some almost British-style peaked bridges just after New Hope, AL for about 5 miles - be careful and ride within yourself here.) LEFT (SOUTH) on US431 several miles with some fast sweepers along Lake Guntersville to the sign for Cathedral Caverns State Park, turn LEFT here - Cathedral Caverns Hwy (State Rte 5)- (roughly EAST). follow up and down mountains to just outside Grant (stop at Hardee's/Gas station on left as I do if you want) for a break. Proceed LEFT out of the Hardee's on State Rte 5 through town of Grant past the DAR school continuing in the direction of the state park (very,very fast and pretty after Grant). Continue following the road through several residential areas and challenging bends until it T-bone's into US 72. Turn LEFT (WEST) on US72. Follow about 10 miles to Gurley, AL. trun RIGHT (roughly NORTH) on Gurley Pike. It is the second right turn AFTER the grocery store. I think there is a church billboard at the turn. Follow this as it winds around with a lot of hairpins and nice bends until it dumps into Maysville Rd. Turn LEFT (ROUGHLY EAST) onto Maysville. Follow about a mile to the gas station on the right, turn RIGHT (NORTH) at that intersection and follow (also Maysville Rd) through nice curvy but semi-residential area until it dumps into Winchester Rd. Turn LEFT (EAST) on winchester and follow several miles (this is a slowish 2-lane) to Moore's Mill. Turn RIGHT (NORTH) back onto Moore's Mill. It's a nice final section reversing your out route. Turn LEFT at the white house (Eakins Rd.) on the North corner (where you came back onto Moore's Mill on out lap) then stright to the humped intersection where you will turn RIGHT (NORTH) onto McCollum Rd. past the golf community. Then RIGHT (WEST) back to Steger Rd./Charley Patterson to Moore's Mill. About 10 miles to the school from Winchester Rd.

I will try to add an entry here every Saturday to let you know if I will be there or not. I will be at the school Sunday early AM from about 0730 to 0745-ish. I will leave NLT 0745-0800.

I think I hope to see some of you. But I have let my secret out of the bag.

I will NOT be there this Sunday, 27 APR!!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. JohnandAsh07

JohnandAsh07 New Member

Sorry all I have not been monitoring this thread as I thought I had it on another site (and couldn't understnad why I could not find it there - doh!). I hope I have not missed any of you. I have done the route the last 2 Sunday AMs. averaged, less breaks, 79.12 and 72.13mph - both on the VFR. Caught some rain yesterday.

I will try to remember to meet at the school this Sunday 8 June!

Cheers
    John

3. samcous

samcous New Member

Loks like this thread is long since dead however Im going to check out your route when i get back from Afghan in Aug. Thanks for the info.

4. JohnandAsh07

JohnandAsh07 New Member

I should be there next Sunday on a Triumph Sprint ST. Have fun!

5. samcous

samcous New Member

wishi could join. Anyways let me know how the trip went and the road conditions. Ill defanitly be checking out the route in aug.

6. Pucksdown

Pucksdown New Member

Sorry about LEO's spoiling your fun! Hope you are able to set up another fun route. We have had the same problems over the years.

Charlie

7. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    This thread came up on a search. Is anyone one still riding this loop? Sounds like fun. Its a little far for me as I'm in florence al. But always looking for some new routes. Thanks